Left Arm Chinaman, Why So Rare?

freddiw

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Around the world left arm offies are as common as anything with Sunny, Panesar, Vettori, Harris, Boje, Giles, Rehman and many more

left arm chinamans, Brad Hogg and who else mabye Katich, maybe Bevan

WHY ARE THERE NO CHINAMANS?

Well since only something silly like only 10% of the population is left handed, so that instantly cuts out a lot of people. Coupled with Leg Spin being supposedly the hardest art to master, which agains cuts a lot of people out probably means that the scope of those willing in pretty small.

Well with a bowling name like "Chinaman", I wouldn't really want to bowl it.

Seriously but, Animator's reason is the logical answer.

It's the same reason why you have more off-break bowlers than leg-break bowlers. It's far easier to bowl off-break than leg-break because leg-break is hard to control.

It's the same reason why you have more off-break bowlers than leg-break bowlers. It's far easier to bowl off-break than leg-break because leg-break is hard to control.

agree but Please don't say that infront of Shane warne that leg break is hard to control...lol...:D

The name Chinaman comes from an Asian looking left arm leg spinner, who go out a decent batsman. The batsman is thought to have said, upon being dismissed, "Fancy that, bowled by a bloody chinaman!"

The name Chinaman comes from an Asian looking left arm leg spinner, who go out a decent batsman. The batsman is thought to have said, upon being dismissed, "Fancy that, bowled by a bloody chinaman!"
Hahaha! What a story behind the name! I didn't know where it came from tbh.

Why are there so few Left Arm Chinamen?

Well, you know what they say about left-handers turning the other way...

Chinaman is of course he politically incorrect name now :p . Its left-arm unorthodox now, I believe.

The only recent chinamen I can remember playing internationally are Hogg, Katich, Bevan, Mohammed and Adams. You have to consider that left-arm spinners traditionally struggle compared to their right-arm counterparts -and considering leg-spin is probably the hardest art to master as a bowler, left-arm orthodox spin is a much easier option.

Last edited:
1) left handers a rarer than right handers
2) of those left handers many for some reason bowl right handed
3) of the small proportion that bowls left handed they have to split between fast, medium, unorthodox and chinamen

left arm orthodox is a very effective bowling style. Of the 16 spinners to take 200+ wickets, 4 bowled left arm orthodox, which is not 10 percent, it's 25 percent.

i disagree...as i stated there are many many left arm orthadox bowlers

and if chinaman is rare are you not more likely to succeed if you are bowling it?

Users who are viewing this thread