Lets talk about Jayawardene

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Haynes made that ton in 88/89, he toured again in 92/93 too.

Ah yes of course. I barely remember 88/89 being all of 6 years old, I just remember the chat at the time was - could he finally make a century in Aus? I remember 92/93 a bit better - got a highlights tape somewhere. Haynes was VERY ordinary in that series.

And good point Bublu about the 'outside Asia' averages. Usually it's just the away averages that are quoted but they often don't account for the different pitches and different attack balances. If you struggle outside Asia that usually says pace and bounce aren't your friend. And his merely average record in ODI cricket support that idea which is usually played on harder, higher bouncing pitches.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I would definitely agree that he's far more comfortable playing on a slower track that keeps low, but it's not strictly fair to class this as a "flat trak" and you still need to be pretty f*ing good to do things like score a 100 in australia when your whole team falls for 246,

flat tracks are easily found in england (lords and cardiff) the west indies (particularly Antigua) New Zealand (can't remember the grounds :p but when they played india recently) and Australia (changes, but Hobart's not great just australia have tended to play weaker teams so there is generally a result due to the gulf in class)

Jayawardene is brilliant on turning wickets that would cause a lot of problems for many other batsmen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread