Local Loop Unbundling announced by Govt.(Attn New Zealand members)

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wanted to start this thread as its been the biggest talk of the country lately. Won't go into much details but from now NZ can enjoy faster broadband for cheaper price much like what Australia is getting. And finally we can all show the middle finger to T.e.l.e.c.o.m.
What is local loop unbundling?
In layman terms, it allows full utilization of local telephone (coppper lines) by the private Internet Service Providers(ISPs) for a small rental cost. The benefit here is that it allows the ISPs to lower their tariffs and offer Internet conections as fast as the local exchanges can allow which is upwards of 7.0 MBps. At the moment NZ is getting a maximum 3.5 Mbps from any ISP thanks to Telecom's monoply (who owns the local loop) on Internet speeds and pricing.
Till now Telecom owned the internet in NZ by having the closed loop, which means any private ISP say IHug or Slingshot will have to buy the connections and bandwidth from telecom at wholesale price set by Telecom(which was quite high) and than resell it to the customers at supposedely cheaper price than Telecom and still hoping for a profit.
But its changed now and the day is not far where we will also have 24Mbps for $24, just like in Australia.:D
I'd like our NZ members take on this.
Btw here's the link for announcement-
http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=25636

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Damm, lucky u NZ people.
there's was a plan for unbundling of local loop in India too.
But govt here is sitting on the proposal for ages. :mad

it seems that Indian govt wants to beat HH260(A hen) in hatching eggs!!!:D:p

siddharth2002

blackleopard92 said:
Damm, lucky u NZ people.
there's was a plan for unbundling of local loop in India too.
But govt here is sitting on the proposal for ages. :mad

it seems that Indian govt wants to beat HH260(A hen) in hatching eggs!!!:D:p
Its a whole different story in India. They are yet to get the Cable Tv issue right, forget about Internet services. It may happen in million years.:p

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
siddharth2002 said:
Its a whole different story in India. They are yet to get the Cable Tv issue right, forget about Internet services. It may happen in million years.:p

Actually its not that bad.
The govt telecoms itself provide services, although it beats me why they are higher priced than private services.:rolleyes:

I think that govt need all the help they can get to beat the world's fastest egg laying bird!!!:p

Honestly, they have been making a 'chicken ' out of themselves, considering the fact that no of proposals that they sit on!!!:p:D

(I think I should stop, or ritwik would ban me for spamming!:p:D)

Last edited:

siddharth2002

blackleopard92 said:
Actually its not that bad.
The govt telecoms itself provide services, although it beats me why they are higher priced than private services.:rolleyes:

I think that govt need all the help they can get to beat the worlds fastest egg laying bird!!!:p

Honestly, they have been making a 'chicken ' out of themselves, considering the fact that no of proposals that they sit on!!!:p:D

(I think I should stop, or ritwik would ban me for spamming!:p:D)
Actually the private services are always cheaper as they buy them at wholesale price from the govt. regulators.
And govt. doesn't need any help, they themselves are to blame for. At least NZ govt. felt a bit of pressure maybe because elections happen here every 3 years.:D

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
But this gives you an advantage!!!:mad

How can I, 256kbps quaker, hope to frag 24 Mbps :eek: UT lightitning gun wielder!!!.

Edit:
Can you give me a little knowledge about fantasy cricket, I am totally confused what's it about. :confused:

Last edited:

siddharth2002

blackleopard92 said:
But this gives you an advantage!!!:mad

How can I, 256kbps quaker, hope to frag 24 Mbps :eek: UT lightitning gun wielder!!!.

Edit:
Can you give me a little knowledge about fantasy cricket, I am totally confused what's it about. :confused:
Ok when you are online PM me, we will chat about it.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
About bloody time. I'm sick of telecom's 10GB limit. Hopefully they increase this at a decent price and not make it $100+ for a cap increase.

siddharth2002

aussie1st said:
About bloody time. I'm sick of telecom's 10GB limit. Hopefully they increase this at a decent price and not make it $100+ for a cap increase.
Yup in fact a month or two ago the "Ihug" guy said that the moment it happens NZ will also have internet services like Aus. Something that their sister company IINet is offering in Aus atm.
But there is a bit of downer here, the whole infrastructure will come to place in about 8 months or maybe more. But again Slingshot and Ihug have already applied with the concerned authorities for 7.5 MBps service on current copper lines and exchanges. And there are positive signs that it may happen soon and NZ may have faster internet in about two months time. Still patience is virtue.:D

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The speed is fast enough for me. I just want to see some good caps for once. Then I'll look forward to the quicker downloads. Still takes too long to download 100mb ;)

siddharth2002

aussie1st said:
The speed is fast enough for me. I just want to see some good caps for once. Then I'll look forward to the quicker downloads. Still takes too long to download 100mb ;)
Yeah actually i was just checking out videos released from E3 expo and wanted to download a 350 Mb one but don't have patience to wait for 1 hour.:p so didn't go for it. A faster connection would help though.:D

Users who are viewing this thread