Lucky's Photoshop Tutorials (Tips, Effects Etc)

Lucky

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi Guys,

I will try and share some of my knowledge of Photoshop with you. ;)

I had started using Photoshop when designing bats etc for BLIC/RPIC.

I will keep updating my thread and if you guys want to find out a way to do a particular thing or make a particular effect. Please just post here.

You could use these tutorials in many ways, but if there is something you want to know, as I said before. You can ask;)

For the first tutorial, I thought it might be a good idea to show you how to create a simple little button.

I love the Lime Green colour. So I have decided to use that in this tutorial.

Simple Button

Ok. For this tutorial you will need to open a new image 300*300.

Now you will need to fill it with a light/creamish white colour.

I decided to pick the colour #D2D2D2. Now fill the background with that colour.

Your image should now look like this.
13bo3.jpg

Now, click on the rounded rectangle tool (or if you wish, the rectangle tool).
Now drag the cursor over the background and make a rectangle.
It should be similar to the one in my image.
24gl.jpg

Now, you will have a Shape 1 Layer (the layer with the rectangle).
Double Click on that layer to open the effects for that layer.

Now go to "Gradient Overlay"
Now. Create a custom gradient, by adding your own colours. Click on the bar, and then on one side add the colours as I have done. Click Ok.
You should have something similar to this.

34zl.jpg

Now Press Control and Click on the "Shape 1" layer. It should now be selected. Now Click on the new layer button.

47yh.jpg

Now with "Layer 1" Selected. Click on Select, Modify, Contract and then Contract by say 6 pixels.
51ts1.jpg

Fill the selection with any colour. In this case, I used Black.
60nm.jpg

Now, as you did before. Add Gradient Overlay Settings. Use any colours you want or use the ones same as mine.
78pd.jpg

Now is the time to add some effects to the Green Block. Again, double-click on the "Layer 1". Click on Bevel and Emboss. Add similar settings.
86gc.jpg

Now what I usually do, is delete the background layer. And then merge the image. This can be done by pressing "Control+Shift+E".
96dm1.jpg

Now, we can add some burn and dodge effects to give the button a more professional look :p .
103hp.jpg

And some Burn Effects now. You may wish not too add these effects and that is okay.
110jz.jpg

Now all you have to do is add some text. And on that text you can also add some effects as to what you want.

Here is the final result.
123tw.jpg

There are many variations etc and you can play around to get different images. You can try different shapes, gradients etc.
132dl.jpg

If anyone want's to know how to mkae this background in photoshop I will post it up here;)

variation0nz.jpg

I will post another tutorial up soon.

:cheers
Lucky

Last edited:

kuttakumar

International Coach
Thanks for sharing man.
I have also started making photoshop stuffs.
This will help me a lot.

ght

School Cricketer
Hi

I hope I am not posting in the wrong thread but i was just wondering how to save adboards for BLIC 2005. I have got some idea how to save as .dds in photoshop however i am trying to replace cricketadd02.dds . I am trying to make a coke zero and travelex adboard . I found a photo on the internet of the coke zero logo and I resized it and pasted it over the dukes logo it looks fine in photoshop however after I save it as a file Dxt3 with 5 mipmaps dds and open it again the coca cola logo quality changes and the writing gets a bit blurry however the rest of the image stays the same. I have attached my attempt as well as the picture from which I obtained the logo. Can you please try and fix this and explain how to do this so that I can do this in the future.

Thankyou

Attachments

• CricketAds02.zip
    20.4 KB · Views: 2
  • coke_zero.zip
    128.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Lucky

International Cricketer
Hi ght,

You save them as DXT 1 with 6 Mipmaps if I remember correctly. Does the quality change before or after you save the file?

Lucky

ght

School Cricketer
The quality changes after I save it as a dds file. I tried saving it as dxt 1 with 6 mipmaps and the quality still changes after saving when i open it up again. Please help me

thank you

Last edited:

Lucky

International Cricketer
I will, but I will post any updates in my downloads thread since this is about Photoshop Tips.

:cheers
Lucky

Lucky

International Cricketer
I have been working on some designs, I have been busy with those. I will post up the tutorial sometime later today.;)

Users who are viewing this thread