Story Manager Diary [ICC 2005]

Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• India

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • England

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • West Indies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand

• South Africa

• Total voters

crickap

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
INDIA'S TOUR OF ENGLAND

We begin the 2011-12 season by touring England. This is going to be a long tour with a lot of first-class games. I see this as an excellent opportunity to take a lot of youngsters on the tour who will make up the team in years to come. However, I am wondering if I should persist with Dravid(38), Tendulkar(37) and Laxman(36) or bring in the next generation immediately, i.e. bring in a fresh middle order for the England tour. We also have an ODI series involving us, England and Pakistan in England following the test series. So, a lot of games in the early part of the season.

crickap

School Cricketer
Squad to tour England:

Laxman, Sharma out: Lots of new faces

Sehwag(C), Kaif, Yuvraj, Tendulkar, Dravid, Deshpande, Gambhir, M.Rasheed, Rowland, Harbhajan(VC), Acharya, Munaf Patel, G.Ramprasad, Gagandeep Singh, M.Banerjee, B.Morris, N.Dahiya, R.Sodhi.

The pace attack is particularly young, consisting of Dahiya, Ramprasad, Munaf and Gagandeep Singh. Among batsmen, I have included two youngsters in Morris and M.Rasheed.

I TEST
Lords

For the first test, I decide to play three seamers. Ramprasad has been very impressive so far. I pick Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Kaif, Yuvraj, Deshpande, Gagandeep, Ramprasad, Harbhajan, Munaf.

England win the toss and elect to bat.
Buoyed by Strauss' and Hampton's centuries England reach 347/6. We bowl England out for 413 and reach 229/2 thanks to Kaif's 92 after being promoted to number 3. We score 499 and our bowlers run through the England line-up leaving us just 51 to win.

II TEST
Riverside

Tendulkar is injured, so I replace him with Mohammed Rasheed.
England win the toss and bat again.

Ramprasad picks up 5 wickets and England are bowled out for 194. England hit back strongly bowling us out for 176. England are all out for 247 on the third morning, leaving us 266 to win.

We lose by 16 runs and split the series.

I get a lot of flak for leaving out Laxman, but I am keen to build up a new team.

ODI TRIANGULAR

IND VS ENG

For the first game, I decide to leave out Dravid and Tendulkar.
I play Sehwag,Gambhir, Yuvraj, Kaif, Rasheed, Morris, Deshpande, Ramprasad, Gagandeep, Harbhajan, Munaf.

INDIA VS PAKISTAN

I bring in Acharya in place of Ramprasad and bring back Tendulkar and Dravid in place of Rasheed and Gambhir.
Pakistan put us in and bowl us out for 203. They chase it down with ease.

IND VS ENG
I drop Dravid to play Manoj Banerjee who is an off spinning all rounder.
We win the toss, bat first and score 376!

IND VS PAK
I recall Dravid in place of Banerjee, but make no other changes.

England are out of the tournament having lost all the games so far.

IND VS ENG
I play Rasheed and Gambhir in place of Dravid and Tendulkar.

IND VS PAK
Morris is a great batsman.
We beat Pakistan and go into the final confident of victory

FINAL
IND VS PAK

I play Tendulkar in place of Rasheed, but Dravid remains on the bench.
We win the toss, bat first and score 281/6 after the early dismissal of Tendulkar.
Harbhajan bowls a great spell and we win comfortably.

TOUR TO SOUTH AFRICA

Tendulkar, Dravid dropped as Khan brings in youth

Manager Asma Khan announced the team for South Africa today. Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid have been omitted. Defending the decision, Asma Khan said, "I had to select the team which was best for Indian cricket. We have to bring in youngsters and build a team for the future. Dravid and Tendulkar have done a lot for Indian cricket but we cannot rely on them forever." Asked if it was the end of the road for Dravid and Tendulkar, she did not offer any comment.

Dravid was disappointed to be left out. Tendulkar was not available for comment.

Morris has been retained. Delhi batsman Chavan and paceman Feroze Ahmed have been selected. Also, in the squad are the Rasheed brothers Mohammed and Wasim. Mumbai batsman Mohammed Fazil has also been included. Commenting on the large number of debutants, Asma Khan remarked "We have a great bunch of talented young players. I hope all of them come good."

The team in full is:
Sehwag(C), Harbhajan(VC), Gambhir, Morris, Yuvraj, Kaif, Chavan, Gagandeep, Munaf, Acharya, Deshpande, Ahmed, Sodhi, W.Rasheed, M.Rasheed, Banerjee, M.Fazil.

I TEST

For the first test, I play:
Sehwag, Gambhir, M.Rasheed, Yuvraj, Kaif, Deshpande, Morris, Harbhajan, Mishra, Gagandeep, Munaf.

Morris gets a century on debut.

II TEST

We win the second test, despite a spirited fightback from South Africa.

crickap

School Cricketer
III TEST

I bring in all the youngsters.
Gambhir, M.Rasheed, W.Rasheed, Chavan, Morris, Fazil, Deshpande, Munaf, Harbhajan, Mishra, Ahmed.

We drew this test. Chavan, Fazil and the Rasheed brothers played very well.

We win the ODI series 3-0.

crickap

School Cricketer
INDIA VS SRI LANKA

We tour Sri Lanka and win the test 2-0 and the ODI's 5-0 there.

Our young players are doing a great job!!

crickap

School Cricketer
No, unfortunately I haven't found a decent all-rounder yet.
Manoj Banerjee has failed miserably with the ball. There is Reetinder Sodhi, but he is an average sort of player and is 31 now! I am still looking for an all-rounder.

In the SL series I played 4 bowlers and had Sehwag and Yuvraj share the 10 overs.

Users who are viewing this thread