Story Manager Diary [ICC 2005]

Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• India

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • England

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • West Indies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand

• South Africa

• Total voters

Muhammad Saad

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
crickap said:
How long do all of you think I should go on for? I am keen to go on until I reach the top of the ODI rankings, but beyond that?
It would be great if people gave me more feedback. Also, does anyone know how long you can play for in the game, i.e. is there a particular year beyond which one cannot play?

Asma
In 2015 all the current international players retires

crickap

School Cricketer
INDIA VS PAKISTAN

Well, the big one!

Dravid asks me for one more chance, after which he will step down. But, then I think Dravid has exhausted his potential as captain.

I decide to appoint Anil Kumble as captain for this test series. Once Kumble(38) hangs up his boots, I will make a decision about the test captaincy. Ideally, I would like to have the same captain for tests and ODIs. However, I shall have to see about that. Kaif will certainly get a decent chance at proving himself.

We need to strengthen our bowling attack, especially the seam bowlers. I recall Pathan, I believe we can develop his abilities further. Gagandeep is in the side as well.

I TEST
I pick Sehwag, Rowland, Dravid, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Deshpande, Acharya, Kumble, Harbhajan, Pathan, Gagandeep.

crickap

School Cricketer
I TEST

II TEST

III TEST

After our 3-0 win in the test series, our test cricket status has improved. All the ramblings about my decision to sack Dravid from the captaincy have also died down! We go into the ODI series supremely confident although Australia have now replaced us as number 1 in the rankings.

ODI SERIES
Rasheed, Dahiya in, Gambhir, Rowland out: Ganguly recalled

I decide to involve Kaif in the selection process. We pick the 18 man team, and decide to include Wasim Rasheed and leave out Rowland and Gambhir besides Kumble. It's going to be a five match series. We decide to recall Sourav Ganguly after Kaif insists that it would be a good idea.

I ODI
____

We play Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kaif, Yuvraj, Ganguly, Acharya, Deshpande, Harbhajan, Pathan, Sharma.

1)Pak win the toss, bat first and score 236. We get past the target within 40 overs thanks to a hundred by Sehwag.

2)Ganguly is dropped for Romesh Powar after we see that the wicket is taking a lot of spin. We win the toss and bat first hoping to make best use of the conditions. We get up to 301/7 thanks to Sehwag's big hundred. We then bowl them out for 138.

3) We play Rasheed in place of Powar. They win the toss, bat first and we restrict them to 211/9. This time Tendulkar gets a hundred as we finish just after 35 overs.

4)Powar comes back on a helpful wicket. We win the toss, bat first and get to 276/9. Pakistan are bowled out for 154!

5)They win the toss, bat first and we restrict them to 163/9. We chase it down easily.

We win the series 5-0!!

We have whitewashed Pakistan 3-0 in the tests and 5-0 in the ODI's.

Kumble and Kaif, the respective captains are national heroes!!

KUMBLE ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

The captain of the Indian test cricket team, Anil Kumble announced today that he was going to retire from all forms of cricket. He has been one of India's greatest bowlers. The manager, Asma Khan remarked, "Anil has been a fantastic bowler over the last two decades. We are sad to see him go."

crickap

School Cricketer
SEASON 2009-10
SEHWAG IS NEW CAPTAIN FOR TEST AND ODI

The Indian manager, Asma Khan has appointed Virender Sehwag as captain of the Indian team for both tests and ODI's. Sehwag was delighted to have been made captain. He said, "I am pleased and look forward to working with the manager in our bid to retain the world cup next year."

The manager said, "I decided to appoint Sehwag as captain for both test and ODI. Kaif's recent bad form in ODI's meant that I had to take this step since Kaif's place in the side is not guaranteed anymore."

India play New Zealand at home, Sri Lanka at home and then tour West Indies.

Last edited:

crickap

School Cricketer
INDIA VS NEW ZEALAND

Sehwag and I sat down to discuss the team composition for the New Zealand games.

For the first test, we pick Yashpal Singh and Gambhir in place of Yuvraj and Laxman.

We plan to open with Sehwag and Rowland, Dravid at no.3, Tendulkar at no.4, No's 5 and 6 are open and then we have Deshpande at no.7. We plan to play either four bowlers or five and push Deshpande up the order. Spinners, we pick Harbhajan, Acharya and a leg spinner - Amit Mishra. As for the seamers, we go with Uniyal who has topped the averages and Gagandeep Singh.

I TEST
______

Yashpal Singh sits out, as we decide to play five bowlers.

Gambhir gets a hundred and we get up to 401 on a pitch which is already quite difficult to bat on. New Zealand get 399, thanks to Mills and Mc Millan's fifties. Mishra picks up six wickets on debut. At stumps on the fourth day, we are 339/4 and have firmly seized the initiative. The only question is if we can force a win. We bowl them out for 169 after the declaration and go 1-0 up in the series!

II TEST
______

We replace Gagandeep with Salvi in the 12. In the 11 itself, we decide on playing Yashpal Singh and Salvi is 12th man.

We win the toss, bat first and put 730 on the board thanks to Tendulkar's double century and a last wicket stand of 158!

2-0 win in the series!!

ODI SERIES

For the ODI team, we decide on the following composition:

Sehwag and Tendulkar open. Deshpande at no.3, Dravid at no.4. No's 5 & 6 are open to competition. At no.7, we have Powar or another all-rounder. Then, we play four bowlers of whom at least one m
ust be decent with the bat.

I ODI
____

We play Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Rasheed, Yuvraj, Deshpande, Powar, Harbhajan, Mishra, Salvi, Uniyal.

We are put in to bat and make mincemeat of the NZ attack, getting to 339/4.

II ODI

In the second one, Sharma comes in for Salvi and Acharya for Mishra.

III ODI
_____

Now, this has become just a practise game. I rest Tendulkar in favour of Gambhir, and rest Dravid and Yuvraj for Kaif and Rao. Harbhajan is rested for Mishra.

Gambhir scores a magnificent 90 and we are bowled out for 287.

We have won the ODI series 3-0. A good start to the Sehwag era. We have also unearthed some good players in Uniyal, Mishra and the recalled Gambhir!

crickap

School Cricketer
IND VS SL

I TEST
_____

I decide to play 5 bowlers. Barrington Rowland is dropped after a disappointing series against NZ. Gambhir and Sehwag to open followed by Dravid, Tendulkar and Yuvraj.

II TEST

With Gambhir's great knock and mom award, Rowland's chances of making it back have become slim indeed. Uniyal goes down with a hamstring injury and I decide to recall Joginder Sharma.

III TEST
________

Dravid is rested in favour of Laxman.

ODI SERIES

We go 3-0 up with great ease!!

We come back strongly after the loss in the fourth game to win the last.

We are no.1 in the ODI rankings again!!!

TOUR OF WEST INDIES

I sit down to pick the team to tour the West Indies with Sehwag. We decide to pick:

Sehwag(C), Harbhajan(VC), Deshpande, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Yuvraj, Kaif, Gambhir, Mishra, Uniyal, Acharya, Powar, Sharma, Gagandeep, M.Rasheed, Pathan, Rowland.

We draw against Guyana.

I TEST

I play Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Yuvraj, Deshpande, Harbhajan, Uniyal, Gagandeep, Acharya.

crickap

School Cricketer
West Indies bat first and score 558. We reply stongly and the game ends in a draw

II TEST
________

I retain the same 11.

After this win, we are looking for nothing more than a draw in the last test.

III TEST
________

I play Sharma in place of Uniyal.

We have won the test series 1-0.

ODI SERIES

I ODI

With the pitch helping the seamers, I play all four of them. We win the toss and bowl first.

2) For the second game, I bring back Powar in place of Pathan.

3)

We clinch the series with this win!

5-0 win!!

The season has come to an end in a very successful manner.

SEASON 2010-11

This season is going to be a hard one!!

We play Australia at home, then tour Pakistan - each having 3 tests and 3 ODI's. After that, there is the World Cup in Australia-New Zealand!

crickap

School Cricketer
Romesh Powar has retired at just 31!

I pick Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Deshpande. Harbhajan, Gagandeep, Sharma, Mishra, Sarandeep.

Acharya is injured, so I give Sarandeep a recall.

I TEST
Delhi

I decide to play four bowlers, and Sarandeep sits out.
Australia win the toss and bat.

We bowl them out for 257 and get to 6/0 at stumps. We are bowled out for 240. We bowl them out for 150 on the third day, leaving us 168 to win the test match. The openers put on 95, after which we win by 8 wickets.

II TEST
Calcutta

I retain the same 11. We win the toss. bat first and score 318. Australia are bowled out for 155. We follow it up with a big score and bowl out Australia for 105 in their second innings.

III TEST
Bombay

I play both Wasim Rasheed and Mohammed Rasheed in place of Laxman and Yuvraj. I rest Dravid and play Banerjee who is an off spinner - all rounder.

The third test is drawn. But, Muhammed Rasheed's century establishes his place in the Indian middle order.

ODI SERIES

crickap

School Cricketer
Romesh Powar has retired. So, I have to try and find a new no.6 in the ODI line-up. I wonder if it would be best to play the extra batsman or play a bowler. Also, I could recall Reetinder Sodhi.

crickap

School Cricketer

3-0 win in the ODI series.

INDIA TOUR PAKISTAN

Gambhir is down with injury. So, Rowland gets a recall.

M.Rasheed gets a hundred in the first class game and I select him for the test.

I TEST
Rawalpindi

Rasheed, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Dravid, Tendulkar, Acharya, Deshpande, Rowland, Harbhajan, Gagandeep, Sharma.

We win the toss and bat first.
The openers Rasheed and Sehwag took us to 297/0 at stumps on the first day! We put on a huge total and win by an innings. The opening partnership of 397 is just 18 short of the all time record.

What an emphatic win for us!!

II TEST
Lahore

I bring in Salvi for Sharma, but make no other changes.
We win the toss and bat again.
On a cloudy morning, both openers are dismissed cheaply. But, Tendulkar and Rowland take us to a respectable total of 341. Salvi takes three wickets as we bowl out Pakistan for 218. We set them an unachievable target and leave our bowlers over 3 sessions to bowl them out.

They manage to survive. We are down to the final test now with Pakistan still in with a chance of saving the series.

III TEST
Karachi

I retain the same side.
They win the toss, bat first and score 389 on a turning wicket. Rasheed got a brilliant hundred. But, soon we went from 229/1 to 265 all out. We reduced Pakistan to 28/4 at stumps on the third day. We bowl them out for 138 to leave us 263 to win. The draw is not an options as we still have over 4 sessions to go. The openers put on 49 after which Rasheed departs. But, we reach 107/1 at stumps. Sehwag gets a hundred before getting out. Dravid is dismissed as well to leave us at 203/3 at lunch.

Win the series 2-0!

Onto the ODI's.

1) We put Pakistan in on a cloudy morning in Rawalpindi and restrict them to 128 and knock off the runs in 23 overs.

2) We put them in and bowl them out for 157 and win by 5 wickets.

3) Pakistan win the toss and bat first. Chasing 222, Sachin Tendulkar is out in the first over. We are bowled out for 192 and lose the last game.

Last edited:

crickap

School Cricketer
WORLD CUP 2011 IN AUS-NZ

We are in the same group as Pakistan, Namibia and USA.

I select the team for the World Cup:

Virender Sehwag(C)
Mohammed Kaif(VC)
Yuvraj Singh
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Amit Deshpande
Joginder Sharma
Aavishkar Salvi
Gagandeep Singh
Harbhajan Singh
Reetinder Sodhi
Madhusudan Acharya
Amit Mishra
Vangipurappu Laxman
Gautam Gambhir

There is a lot written about us in the media, and we are hot favourites to retain the cup as we are top of the rankings. I hope to retain the cup and equal Australia's record of winning three world cups.

INDIA VS NAMIBIA
Perth

I play Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraj, Kaif, Gambhir, Deshpande, Mishra, Joginder, Salvi, Gagandeep.

We bowl out Namibia for 131 and our batsmen do the rest:

INDIA VS PAKISTAN
Perth

The big game against Pakistan.

I play Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraj, Kaif, Sodhi, Deshpande, Harbhajan, Acharya, Sharma, Gagandeep.

We win the toss, bat first and score 261 despite the loss of Tendulkar for 2. I think we should have a reasonable chance defending this score.

It turns out to be a thriller of a game which we win eventually.

INDIA VS USA
Sydney

I retain the same 11, hoping to let them have a go at the US attack.
We win the toss and bat first. We then go on to get the highest ever score
in a ODI!!

Perhaps the largest margin of victory ever!!!

We are through to the next stage with a perfect record.

New Zealand are eliminated. Namibia beat Pakistan, but Pakistan qualify on net run rate as USA have beaten Namibia. Zimbabwe have qualified and Bangladesh are out.

INDIA VS ENGLAND
Auckland

Our first game in New Zealand. I retain the same 11.
England win the toss and bat first. We restrict them to 165/7 thanks to tight bowling by all bowlers, and Sehwag's 2/24 spell in the middle overs.

INDIA VS ZIMBABWE
Christchurch

The pitch is offering turn. I play Mishra in place of Sodhi. Zimbabwe win the toss and put us in.

We are going along at slightly less than 5 an over, when Deshpande and Yuvraj get out in quick succession. Kaif and Dravid put on 200 in 18 overs to take us to a huge score.

INDIA VS SRI LANKA
Wellington

It is a turning wicket and I retain the same 11.
We win the toss, bat first and get a big score

We are through to the semis!!!

INDIA VS SOUTH AFRICA
Christchurch

I bring back Sodhi in place of Mishra. Because of the dampness, I elect to field on winning the toss. They get 258/6. We lose two quick wickets of Tendulkar and Deshpande.

INDIA VS WEST INDIES

Forfeited.

INDIA VS AUSTRALIA
Sydney

This is another turning wicket, and I pick Mishra in place of Sodhi.
Australia win the toss and put us in. We reach 339/4.

They put up a good fight, but we win eventually.

We have gone through the World Cup unbeaten so far.

POINTS TABLE

SEMI FINAL LINE UP

INDIA VS SRI LANKA
PAKISTAN VS AUSTRALIA

INDIA VS SRI LANKA
WORLD CUP SEMI FINAL

I play Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraj, Kaif, Sodhi, Deshpande, Harbhajan, Sharma, Gagandeep, Acharya.

Sri Lanka win the toss and elect to bat first.
Gagandeep and Sharma pick up a wicket each in their opening spell and Sodhi follows it up by picking up 2 in his first over. Sri Lanka are 36/4 in 15 overs. Sri Lanka are all out for 141.

We get to this total easily

AUSTRALIA VS PAKISTAN

WORLD CUP FINAL
INDIA VS AUSTRALIA
Melbourne

The pitch is showing signs of taking turn. I decide to play Mishra in place of Sodhi after thinking about it for a long time.

The team is Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kaif, Yuvraj, Deshpande, Sharma, Mishra, Harbhajan, Acharya, Gagandeep.

We lose the toss and Australia elect to bat.
The opening bowlers fail to make a breakthrough and it is left to Harbhajan Singh to do so. We slow them down in the middle overs, but Watson's century takes them to 269/6 which is a very good total on a pitch which is offering a great deal of turn.

Sehwag is caught at short leg early on and we lose Deshpande in the fourth over to leave us at 17/2. Watson bowls Tendulkar in the 12th over and the whole Australian team believes that they have the World Cup won. From 56/3, Yuvraj and Dravid put on 139 in 128 before Dravid is bowled by Watson for 71(95). Yuvraj plays a great innings, a match-winning - world cup winning knock as he and Kaif add 75 in 68 deliveries to take us home.

Sehwag is thrilled to lift the cup as are the whole team. We have finally got revenge for 2003!! Ponting, Hayden and Gilchrist are the only ones remaining in their team while in our team we have Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid, Yuvraj, Kaif, Harbhajan who were part of that debacle in 2003. So, sweet revenge for them.

I am extremely happy to have won the World Cup twice with this great Indian team! This time we have remained unbeaten. The next world cup is in the sub-continent and we will be the defending champions looking for a hat-trick and looking to be the first team to win 4 world cups! Tendulkar has equalled Miandad's record of playing in 6 world cups. Dravid has played in 4.

Sehwag is a national hero now! I have been with this team for 6 years now. We have had 5 captains - 4 test and 4 ODI captains respectively.

Now, with Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman ageing, my next challenge is to rebuild this team for the next generation. We are top of the ratings, and the challenge is to remain there as we rebuild.

Last edited:

James_W

Club Cricketer
Well done once more! Aren't you going to do a new diary though?

crickap

School Cricketer
Go to Asma Khan's new manager diary and vote for your choice of team for the new diary. You can also vote for me to continue with this diary.

Users who are viewing this thread