Match Saving/Winning Performance

Please correct me if I'm wrong but was his 150 odd not out at Edgbaston that won SA the 3rd test,the game in which nobody could pick the ball up due to the side-screen so England just kept on yorking them, hence that Flintoff spell to Kallis? If so, that hundred was completely overlooked and underestimated by myself. Good shout to point that out though Mark! Smith is such a top class player. Feel it will help him in the long term regarding his decision to quit T20 captaincy.

Yeah that innings was truly world class. I was watching clips of that match today; Dailymotion - Brilliant fast bowling spell - Flintoff v Kallis - 3rd Test - a Sports & Extreme video

Please correct me if I'm wrong but was his 150 odd not out at Edgbaston that won SA the 3rd test,the game in which nobody could pick the ball up due to the side-screen so England just kept on yorking them, hence that Flintoff spell to Kallis? If so, that hundred was completely overlooked and underestimated by myself. Good shout to point that out though Mark! Smith is such a top class player. Feel it will help him in the long term regarding his decision to quit T20 captaincy.

I also remember the shocker of an LBW not given by Aleen Dar. Flintoff to Kallis. What a great match that was

Yeah that innings was truly world class. I was watching clips of that match today; Dailymotion - Brilliant fast bowling spell - Flintoff v Kallis - 3rd Test - a Sports & Extreme video

You legend!! I've always been looking for that spell on Youtube but never cropped up. Flintoff, as injury prone as he was, still managed to produce 2 world class spells of bowling since the Ashes in 05. This one against SA and at Lords last year against the Aussies. What a cricketer! Such a shame his talent his knees and ankles couldn't withstand his style of bowling.

calebelfc added 5 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

I also remember the shocker of an LBW not given by Aleen Dar. Flintoff to Kallis. What a great match that was

Just seen that LBW decision on that link. Was a shocker. Aleem Dar is one of the best around but that was village umpiring. For moments like those why the review system has been introduced.

Sehwag's lightspeed 83 against England in 2008. That's something which turned the match on its head and paved the way for one of the greatest fourth innings run chases in the history of Indian cricket.

England in New Zealand 08

Ryan Sidebottom- (6-49) - In the 1st test at Hamilton. Not only did Sidebottom secure a test match hat-trick to his name, (with the help of some outstanding catching from Cook), he took an incredible 6 wickets. England ended up 110 all out in their pursuit of 300 but Sidebottom?s display was unfortunate not to be backed up by the batsmen.

I have to agree. Fantastic first post. Pretty thorough as well. But just wondering how Sidebottom's 6/49 against NZ was a match saving/winning performance. It was a great bowling display but England went on to lose. I probably wouldn't have counted that in.

I have to agree. Fantastic first post. Pretty thorough as well. But just wondering how Sidebottom's 6/49 against NZ was a match saving/winning performance. It was a great bowling display but England went on to lose. I probably wouldn't have counted that in.

Glad you enjoyed it! I know they did lose but in my "critique" at the beginning of my post I did say that "someone can have a heroic display in a losing cause. In these instances, exceptions will duly be made." The batsmen didn't back him up so I decided to include it as he did all that he possibly could to win the match for England. Maybe I'm not as consistent as I could have been.

great first post but you should have maybe called it "most outstanding performances" as quite a few ended up almost, but not quite, winning a match.

great first post but you should have maybe called it "most outstanding performances" as quite a few ended up almost, but not quite, winning a match.

I think you're right! I actually did my title before I started which maybe wasn't the wisest thing. Ah well. What's done is done. Glad you enjoyed it!

Glad you enjoyed it! I know they did lose but in my "critique" at the beginning of my post I did say that "someone can have a heroic display in a losing cause. In these instances, exceptions will duly be made." The batsmen didn't back him up so I decided to include it as he did all that he possibly could to win the match for England. Maybe I'm not as consistent as I could have been.

Ahh, well I didn't catch that part. :laugh

Mike Whitney facing the last over from Richard Hadlee in 1987/88 at the MCG to save a test and win the series.

Remember when Fidel Edward batted out a few overs to draw a Test against England, and ofcourse Monty and Jimmy's 10 overs at Cardiff

Remember when Fidel Edward batted out a few overs to draw a Test against England, and ofcourse Monty and Jimmy's 10 overs at Cardiff

I seem to remember that series being full of flat tracks and both teams continually scoring 500 odd but the games still managed to provide tense finishes.

Yea at least the draws were "thrilling" that series. Basically the Windies managed a win after one good session and then flat tracked the rest of the series to ensure a series win

Yea at least the draws were "thrilling" that series. Basically the Windies managed a win after one good session and then flat tracked the rest of the series to ensure a series win

Fair play to them I s'pose. Although at times in that series, you wondered where a result was going to come from.

Users who are viewing this thread