McCullum considers giving up the gloves

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
He's said he's quitting because he has back problems. I'd say it's probably bullshit and just an excuse but if he really does then fair enough.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Thanks a lot Baz, the last thing we need is some Muppet like Hopkins in or test side! This just makes us even more weaker even if McCullum's batting continues to improve.

"I am passionate about playing for the Black Caps and by limiting my keeping to the shorter forms of the game it increases my chances of prolonging my career." Lets bloody hope so, now he doesn't have his brilliant keeping to fall back on if his test batting batting form turns to S***. All about the money? Prolong his T20 career more like, not his test. He already plays in 4 domestic comps which says something.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
shouldn't select him in odi's anymore then he's basically a liability and he never performs give someone else a go at opening like watling in odi's.

and he should be under pressure to perform every test he plays for new zealand and he should be dropped from the side if he doesn't. The only reason he's doing this is to prolong his IPL and domestic t20 career.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Great. Does that mean Hopkins is going to be in the Test side now? Just what an already struggling NZ test side needs. :facepalm McCullum's batting better improve or else this was a stupid decision.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It'll probably be Reece Young in the test side as he's the preferred second test keeper. Hopkins is more for the short forms.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Hopefully it will help McCullum. I reckon for Gilchrist keeping actually helped his batting, improving his 'eye', which would be vital as a hitter and also his view of the match from behind the stumps.

Ari

International Cricketer
I hope they go with Young, Hopkins is beyond useless.

I guess van Wyk is another option.

Last edited:

rocky_g

International Cricketer
Bad decision by McCullum.

offtopic : - why is irottev banned? :eek:

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I like Peter McGlashan. Looks quality behind the sticks from the little i've seen of him.

He wouldn't be good in the longer form of the game I wouldn't think.

I think they'll go with Reece Young, unless they want to introduce a youngster like Derek de Boorder into the team. But that wouldn't be against India so I'm guessing Young.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Fantastic, exactly what I wanted him to do if he was to ever give up the gloves. It's been pretty obvious over the past year or so he's not been 100 percent (well not really but he's been making noises). It would make no sense IMO to continue wicket keeping in test cricket but not in the shorter forms of the game, plus it would weaken our one day team a lot more IMO.

He's already said he wants to bat at three for New Zealand in test cricket so I'm guessing we'll see him bat there right away.

1.McIntosh
2.Watling
3.McCullum
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.Williamson
7.Vettori
8.Hopkins

We'll see that batting line-up IMO in the next test series New Zealand play. Daniel Vettori said sometime last season that he would have much rathered moved to seven but with McCullum in the team he would have been wasted at eight, Hopkins though wont be. Both Ryder and Williamson bring capable 5th bowling options should really give this New Zealand team a pretty good balance

Users who are viewing this thread