McCullum considers giving up the gloves

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My point with Broom is he just looks all at sea when he bats. I've never been a fan of him, infact I'd go as far as saying he has been the worst selection IMO over the past year. (I know someone is going to post a worse one now)

Peter Ingram :p

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Well I didn't want to start it but Martin Guptill, his test selection FTR. I'd say it only just beats out Neil Broom's selection as a one day finisher.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Whether or not he was playing BNG or not, Guptill's test average is more than twice Broom's ODI average.
I'd take Peter Ingram over Neil Broom most days of the week.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Everyone looks good when they play against Bangladesh. Which is why the selectors thought that Ingram could cut it against Australia, which he couldn't.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Not that they really gave him much of a chance to succeed though did they? One test, three ODI's and a couple of exhibition games and he was gone. Anyone who had actually watched him play cricket domestically should have known he'd never succeed in the shorter form of the game, his technique just doesn't allow for him to go searching for quick runs.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
But our selectors are well known for their good decisions though.
"Hey look, Neil Broom's performing really well in First class cricket but doing nothing special in the shorter forms".
"Yeah, I noticed that, how about we chuck him in the ODI and T20 teams as a finisher batting at number 6 or 7".
"Wonderful idea, because batting at 4 in FC cricket is quite a similar role".

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
:laugh I imagine that wouldn't be far off what the actual conversation was.

Not that they really gave him much of a chance to succeed though did they? One test, three ODI's and a couple of exhibition games and he was gone. Anyone who had actually watched him play cricket domestically should have known he'd never succeed in the shorter form of the game, his technique just doesn't allow for him to go searching for quick runs.

I can see your point. I would really like to see the selectors persevere with a selection for a bit. Ingram, if given a little longer, could have done well. But the given the fact that he had no footwork didn't help his cause.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Oh don't get me wrong, I was against his selection from the very beginning and really didn't give him much of a chance of being a success at the international level. But as far as I'm concerned you can't pick a guy and only give him four innings in his perfered format before tossing him away.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oh don't get me wrong, I was against his selection from the very beginning and really didn't give him much of a chance of being a success at the international level. But as far as I'm concerned you can't pick a guy and only give him four innings in his perfered format before tossing him away.

What about Neil Broom then, he got no innings in his preferred format :p

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, well the less said about poor old Neil Broom's treatment the better. You never know though, the selectors might actually see the light one day.

Users who are viewing this thread