Memory & Graphics Card Advice

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I would seriously adviser you to upgrade your mobo. If its Intel its easy but if AMD this can be tricky. GEt a 6600GT or 7600 GS XFX extreme edition for PCI - E and you can go finme with even 512 mb of RAM :)

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Kshitiz_Indian said:
I would seriously adviser you to upgrade your mobo. If its Intel its easy but if AMD this can be tricky. GEt a 6600GT or 7600 GS XFX extreme edition for PCI - E and you can go finme with even 512 mb of RAM :)
I would guess he's doing it on a budget.

If he's going to buy a new motherboard then he may as well buy new s-ata hard drives, new cpu, new graphics card, new memory, hell why not a new case and a new copy of vista and be done with it.

We'd all like to have the latest spec top of the range stuff but sometimes its hard to justify.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well i can only answer that Kev oncehe gives his current complete rig.

For example, he can get a budget motherboard of socket 775 with an PCI - E slot very easily, like opting for a 945 basewd one by asrock. Next up he can fire away with a 6600GT or 7600GS based card. a XFX 7600 Gx would cost him around 127 $ ( converting for what i get it for here. )

Though, even in AGP , 6600gt's are availale, and i would never advise anyone to go for a 6600 vanilla core, due to the lack of SM3 on some versions of the card.

F4rrukh

Panel of Selectors
The problem isn't the budget but i don't want to buy every single thing again after getting a new motherboard. I have decided i will buy that 1 gb RAM and if it fits with my current 512 i will have 1.5 GB :) if not 1 GB.. and i will get that Nvidia GeForce 6600 256 MB.

Anyways can anyone tell me what is the difference between 6600 and 6600gt ?, gt = grater force? lol :p

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
Farrukh_|$B said:
Anyways can anyone tell me what is the difference between 6600 and 6600gt ?, gt = grater force? lol :p
Exactly. :p, bit more clock speed and shader pipes and blah blah. Its pretty good though.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Farrukh_|$B said:
I have decided i will buy that 1 gb RAM and if it fits with my current 512 i will have 1.5 GB :) if not 1 GB..
I have seen on some other computers a situation when the sticks of ram have to be in a certain order in the slots for them to work properly, the biggest in slot 0 and down in size from there (second biggest in slot 1, etc.) is how it works in older computers that need the order. In my PC it didn't matter, I just plonked a bigger stick of ram into the empty slot and it worked (it's a different brand and speed too), so that is most likely the case with yours too. My Fx5200 has served me well, although I will probably go down the 6600 route as soon as I can, so let me know how that goes for you.

Sureshot

Executive member
siddharth2002 said:
You can purchase either from your above posts. PC3200 is actually DDR400 which is clocked at 200 MHz but operates at effective 400 Mhz because its DDR (double data rate). So, at the moment you have a DDR400 (PC3200) memory sitting in your motherboard. You can pair it up with another similar 512 MB one, although yes, its possible that same speed memory from different manufactures may not work together.
So, my advice get a 1 GB stick and see if both of them work together otherwise get rid of your current 512 one.
In order to check more specs about your motherboard, RAM etc. without opening up your case, use this program-
http://files1.majorgeeks.com/files/0a716fe8c7745e51a3185fc8be6ca23a/systeminfo/everesthome220.exe

For the record, DDR2 is made compatible with DDR although I haven't tried them both together yet so take it with grain of salt. ;)

"The connection was reset"

Duff link or is the server down?

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
My advice to you will not be helpfull, but i feel obliged to offer it anyway.

Save your money, buy a decent machine, one that will own all for some time.
Start putting money aside if you can for a direct x10 graphic card.
Remeber though, dont skimp on a decent processor, as many of todays games are cpu dependant, no one likes bottlenecking.

My advice for the lowest range pc that should be considerd is below.

Core2Duo E6300 Stock at 1.86 Ghz
2 Gig DDR2 6400
ATI X1950XTX
300 Gig HD RAID (0)

The conroe listed can overclock to 2.8ghz on stock cooling and volts. Very impressive for a low end quality chip.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
That's a very low end card, should be able to pick one up for just over ?20. My advice, save your money.

Users who are viewing this thread