Microsoft Security Essentials

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
How good is this, really? I uninstalled and reinstalled AVG 9, and it said that these two will clash and that I should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials. Or should I really be uninstalling AVG? I don't want anything that's going to slow my system down - is it safe to get rid of AVG and trust in a package of Microsoft Security Essentials, Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy? Is MSE an Anti virus, as well as spyware/adware?

Now I come to think of it, since I didn't heed the warning to uninstall MSE, my system does seem a little slower.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
When I tried it, wasn't too bad on the system but was very basic on the anti virus front compared to AVG9 and other AV. Firewall was pretty basic as well, so not really a program you want high security protection. Don't know how their AV database is like either.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Hmm... maybe I should just stick with AVG then. Is it important to have MSE installed, or is it just another free Anti Malware program?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Its an all in one package so it has it all. You definitely don't need it installed, Adaware and spybot take care of the spyware and malware while AV9 is there for the virus.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Its an all in one package so it has it all. You definitely don't need it installed, Adaware and spybot take care of the spyware and malware while AV9 is there for the virus.

That's good; since I've installed it, I've had two hard crashes and strange things have been happening with my mouse (it stopped working intermittently). Before I installed it, any crash I had (and they were few) could be dropped back to the desktop in Win 7, so I've now uninstalled it, since it appeared to do nothing but cause problems.

Thanks for your help, Aussie! :)

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've used AVG for a few years and never got a virus. I've recently installed MSE on my parents computer and it seems to be going well.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I use it. Had no problems and it isn't as heavy on resources as AVG is.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I use it. Had no problems and it isn't as heavy on resources as AVG is.

I wish that was the case with me, but as I said, since I installed it, the PC has been crashing (properly - even Win 7 can't rescue it from a restart) and other weirdness has been happening. Since I ditched it, no problemo! :)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
AVG has been tied to BSODs. I used to get a few, too, but I feel like mine had to do with my RAM timing than anything else. Anyways, I've gotten rid of AVG and gone with ESET. I've got AVG on my other computer and let's just say that it's a lot better than McAfee and Norton and that crapware. I run my scans overnight so that they don't bother me when I'm actually working on the computer. With my desktop, well it's a quad-core so I can't really tell if it's getting slowed down. :p

Users who are viewing this thread