PC Security

Lucky

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi Guys,

I have been looking at various different tools for secuirty etc but haven't seem to come across many good ones.

Some times my PC just freezes and shuts down by itself :mad: :( I I am beginning to think that it might be a security issue. I was hestitant to connect the internet to it, but now I have.

I use some software,

MS Anti Spyware
Windows Defender
AD Aware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Anywayhave any other good software that they rate? I have seen the thread relating to free software available but I want the best software, even if have to pay. I don't want my new $4000 PC going bad!!
:p

Thanks Guys
:cheers
Lucky

Ritwik

co-founder
Well for spyware/adware you are using probably what are the best tools available at the moment - spybot and ad-aware.

When I say 'best' I mean that these utilities are effective, robust, easily upgradable and also don't hog system resources. In fact one thing that should always be kept in mind before getting any utilities for your PC is that how much of a footprint it has on your memory. Obviously if an Anti-Virus scanner hogged 20% of the available system memory, then your computer will run slower and more unreliably.

Since your computer keeps freezing up and restarting, i'll suggest a few simple things you could do to get rid of these troubles:

1. Get an industry standard virus scan such as Norton 2006 and use liveupdate to get the most recent Virus definitions and do a full system scan. But make sure you've ample RAM before buying Norton, since it requires quite a bit.
(I am currently using Norton 2006 on my new PC and I've 1GB of DDR2 memory and it works very well - the system doesn't slow down even when I am playing graphics heavy games even when Norton is running in the background)
2. Run the disk cleanup utility to get rid of junk files. If you are using Win XP, run system file checker to check and repair important system files.
3. Upgrade definitions for Spybot and Ad-Aware and do a full system scan using these utilities.
4. Get a good firewall like Zone Alarm premium (you've to pay for the premium version, Zone Alarm basic is free)
5. Stop/Cut the usage of file sharing software like Ares, since this way you'll get a lot of viruses and other malware.

Lucky

International Cricketer
Ritwik said:
Since your computer keeps freezing up and restarting, i'll suggest a few simple things you could do to get rid of these troubles:

1. Get an industry standard virus scan such as Norton 2006 and use liveupdate to get the most recent Virus definitions and do a full system scan. But make sure you've ample RAM before buying Norton, since it requires quite a bit.
(I am currently using Norton 2006 on my new PC and I've 1GB of DDR2 memory and it works very well - the system doesn't slow down even when I am playing graphics heavy games even when Norton is running in the background)
2. Run the disk cleanup utility to get rid of junk files. If you are using Win XP, run system file checker to check and repair important system files.
3. Upgrade definitions for Spybot and Ad-Aware and do a full system scan using these utilities.
4. Get a good firewall like Zone Alarm premium (you've to pay for the premium version, Zone Alarm basic is free)
5. Stop/Cut the usage of file sharing software like Ares, since this way you'll get a lot of viruses and other malware.

Thanks for your help Ritwik. I have the same amount of RAM as you aswell though... :rolleyes: I don't use Norton though, I use AVG.

System file checker? I never heard of it. I will see. I think that will help me a lot.

Thanks for your help ;)
Lucky

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
hi,

i m using ZoneAlarm pro spyware along with AVG antivirus...
Can anyone tell me antispyware and antivirus which is better than these two...??? :help

cheers :cheers

tassietiger

International Cricketer
I think AVG and ZoneAlarm are the best, but with my latest computer, for some reason, I get blue-screen errors all the time if I try to have ZoneAlarm running on it.

Keep using those two IMO.

Lucky

International Cricketer
Downloading ZoneAlarm Premium Internet Secuirty Suite now. I decided I'm going to purchase it since it will protect my PC way more than the free one:P

saurabh2185

International Cricketer
I think ZoneAlarm pro has an inbuilt antispyware as i am using it. I am also using McAfee Antivirus.

ZoneAlarm is the Best in terms of Firewall.

Anti-Spyware:-

antispyware0zk.png

Anti-Virus:-

antivirus2th.png

Firewall:-

firewall5zj.png

[SIZE=-2]Courtesy http://toptenreviews.com/[/SIZE]

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Well, If u ask me, u only need an addn of AVG antivir, and zone alarm Basic.
Pro is a lot of hassles and bugs u at awkward times.

AS for norton, don't listen to ritwik, Norton is a such a big brat that is allows laywers to make a case about corporal punishment. :D

Also a lot depends on useage, your knowledge.If u can give me some hint to these them I can help u better.

FOr eg, When I visit 'dirty' sites, I keep ZA to max security, disables cookies and misc, while when I visit 'safe/simple' sites(eg PC) I don't even load ZA.

Also, If u have a static add, then a Firewall is a must, however, dialups, and many broadbands(including me0 have dynamic IP's, hence Don't require a firewall as such.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Doesnt really matter if you have a dynamic IP or not, you still need a firewall.
Also another good way to increase your internet security is to stop using internet explorer and outlook express.

Ritwik

co-founder
Well I am back with more advise:

1. What Kev says above is very true. Stay away from IE and use Firefox to minimise risk.
2. Since your computer keeps hanging and gets rebooted randomly, the problem might be with your hardware. Bear in mind that you require atleast 350W power supply to run things well. Having less than that is a sure-fire way to a less than happy computing experience. If you have a high end graphics card and/or couple of optical drivers then you should have at least a 400 W power supply.
3. Check your RAM modules. Well built computers should have two or more modules running at the same frequency and of the same make (for eg two 512 mb DDR 2 modules at 533Mhz will give you 1gb or RAM). If this is the case with your PC, take out these modules by turn and try to boot your PC, if it works well than the RAM is to blame.
4. Make sure your PC is not getting heated up excessively. Your cabinet should have atleast two fans, apart from the one mounted on your graphics board.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I got Sygate firewall which is free and it does an awesome job. Doesn't kill off much ram either.

Anti Virus I use Norton and Windows defender for spyware. Also have ad-aware, Registry Mechanic, Spybot and Spy Sweeper for spyware.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
what ritwik said in 2nd post is true, however also check your harddisk, sometimes a HD is faulty, causing problems.

I had bought a new CPU last november, and the system used to freze a lot, and it was concluded that the HD was faulty.

also faulty installation of any thing (inlcuding hardware, mouse drivers :eek:) can cause freezes.

also remember, just using Firefox won't help at all.U need to know what exactly security is.

GO to www.Zdnet.com and search for security related articles, there is a lot that u can learn.

Ritwik

co-founder
also remember, just using Firefox won't help at all.U need to know what exactly security is.

It will, since firefox doesn't have nearly as many security holes as IE. So using firefox is better since it will be more difficult for unscrupulous persons to install crap on your system.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Ritwik said:
It will, since firefox doesn't have nearly as many security holes as IE. So using firefox is better since it will be more difficult for unscrupulous persons to install crap on your system.

wrong, its just that IE enables every thing by default, while firefox disables everthing by default.

also windows XP/IE with SP2 is more secure than linux! :D

(source: A security company that I can't remember the name )

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
blackleopard92 said:
also windows XP/IE with SP2 is more secure than linux! :D

(source: A security company that I can't remember the name )
No it isn't, it's far from being anywhere near as secure as linux.

Users who are viewing this thread