PC Security

IloveGilly

News Team Member<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm using Zonealarm Pro, Spybot S&D and Xoftspy.

Gonna go look around some time for a good virus protector.

Ritwik

co-founder
BlackLeopard92 said:
wrong, its just that IE enables every thing by default, while firefox disables everthing by default.
Thats an incredibly idiotic statement that I didn't expect from you.

IE does not enable everything by default - IE 6 with windows xp professional SP2 in fact disables activeX scripting by default.
(I should know since I bought a new computer with the above configuration a week back).

Firefox doesn't disable everything by default. So cookies, javascripting etc are all enabled (by default)

What you're saying is very immature. I'll repeat myself that IE has security holes that microsoft has admitted to (why do you suppose that they keep releasing patches) so even if you switch off all extra features you're still are risk since crackers can take advantage of the aforementioned security holes.

blackleopard92 said:
as I said, the agency are a professional security experts.

I don't think much of their professionalism if that is the case. Sounds like a quasi-firm in the pay of microsoft. Linux is more secure simply because:

1. Few people use it as compared to Windows; consequently it is at less risk from viruses and other malware
2. Linux has been dervied from Unix and Menix, which were industry standard os's designed for security. Windows on the other hand is a hotch-podge of code from different platforms and different eras. It is intrinsically built for greater compatibility - to the detriment of security.
3. Linux is an open source project (just like Firefox) so any security issues that are detected are patched very quickly by the open source community. Contrast this with closed source software (ie Windows and IE) - if MS fails to detect a security issue it is often left to be detected by persons with malafide intentions, who abuse it to the tilt before MS can come up with patches. These patches become so numerous that they've to be assembled in Service Packs.

So, frankly speaking, don't get swayed too easily by shallow arguments and company-sponsored statements!

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Seems like I was drunk when I wrote the above :D
Beat me!!! :whip

But I stand to what I said, winXP with SP2 is better than most of the other OS.

And U don't expect me to gulp company sponsered statements, and I don't.I will find the company's name, it advises major companies( America's Army :eek:) on security issues.

Few people use it as compared to Windows; consequently it is at less risk from viruses and other malware
It's the reason why even a small hole discovered get's blown out of proportion.Many linux/mac holes aren't simply publicised enough for awarness in general people.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
blackleopard92 said:
But I stand to what I said, winXP with SP2 is better than most of the other OS.
SP2 is a vast improvement over any previous windows version in terms of stability and security, but it is still not up to the standards of other alternatives.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I think i have posted this before. Panda Titanium Firewall/Anti Virus/Spyware is by far the best. It appears on pirate software sites, but never keeps working for long as they check the serial code, unlike some other big virus protection names. If you can afford ?20 go for Panda, updates every day.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
ZoneAlarm 6.5.7 has been just released I think according to Cnet they added it to their servers yesterday. I'm going to give it a go since they and the users at cnet rate it highly.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well Zone Alarm seemed to slow down my start up time so I searched for a new firewall.
I managed to find one made by Lavasoft the creators of Ad-aware. Their firewall is quite good, very nice interface, does all the usual features of Zone Alarm and Sygate and it list the ports being used. I can't remember if this was in Sygate or not. Possible could have been in Zone Alarm but it was as clear cut as Lavasoft.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I think i would advise to use Mcafee. I use it and it is the best overall antivirus. You dont need anything else with it. It even does not take muchof the memory, and it also has an Ecellent firewall with it. According to me it is the best antivirus program

Ritwik

co-founder
I think i would advise to use Mcafee. I use it and it is the best overall antivirus. You dont need anything else with it. It even does not take muchof the memory, and it also has an Ecellent firewall with it. According to me it is the best antivirus program

In all honesty Mcafee is ****! It slows down your computer like hell, has a generally unmanageable interface and a surfiet of utilities that are of very little use to most people.

Try and use AVG and Zone Alarm combo for a while, you'll be converted away from Mcafee!

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
aussie1st said:
Well Zone Alarm seemed to slow down my start up time so I searched for a new firewall.
I managed to find one made by Lavasoft the creators of Ad-aware. Their firewall is quite good, very nice interface, does all the usual features of Zone Alarm and Sygate and it list the ports being used. I can't remember if this was in Sygate or not. Possible could have been in Zone Alarm but it was as clear cut as Lavasoft.

ZA is slow to start, but gets all right when it's up and running.

I can also try Outpost, and Kerio Personal Firewall.They both are better than ZA, not ZA pro though.

I think i would advise to use Mcafee. I use it and it is the best overall antivirus. You dont need anything else with it. It even does not take much of the memory, and it also has an Ecellent firewall with it. According to me it is the best antivirus program
:eek:
Norton= memory hogger.

In all honesty Mcafee is ****! It slows down your computer like hell, has a generally unmanageable interface and a surfiet of utilities that are of very little use to most people.

Try and use AVG and Zone Alarm combo for a while, you'll be converted away from Mcafee!
looks like u dumped your Norton 2006 suit.:D

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Are you able to check the ports opened for programs in ZA? I never knew we could see it until I used Lavasoft.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looks like I have found myself the perfect firewall now :p Now if only Lavasoft would make updates to this firewall like they did with ad-aware.

Heres a screenshot of the ports thing.

Users who are viewing this thread