Mitchell Johnson: Australia's new all-rounder?

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Do you guys think Mitchell Johnson is good enough to be an all rounder?

I think yes because he's spear-heading our pace attack and looking better with the bat than half of the order above him - so is it time to hail Mitchell Johnson Australia's new all-rounder?

Last edited:
Ha ha nice try but right now he is a great bowler and solid #8 still needs to improve his batting a bit before he is granted allrounder status though the potential is there for him to reach the heights of a Botham/Kapil Dev status. North slotting into #6 batting line up looking solid, high hopes for the future.

I would say he is about the same as Broad in regards to batting at the moment. If he worked heavily on it and forsook his bowling slightly he could maybe be classed as one in a few years

D. Steyn scored like that too on the last series vs Aus.76 it was i think!

but i dont like that guy, but i like MJ, and he is quicker too! :D

Still a long way before he is considered a genuine all rounder. I'd prefer he work on his swing bowling and leave him at 8 then start moving him higher where he will be under pressure to perform with the bat.

He is supposed to be a bowler, not allrounder and Australia should focus that they include four full-time bowlers in their team. The main part of scoring runs should be done by the batsmen, because that's why they are included in the team.

He can only do that, if he was a decent bowler to begin with. :p

Mitch is a handy lower-order batsman. He can be pretty useful at times. But allrounder...no he isn't one. Bowler who can bat- that's it. Like our Vajji Singh or Sohail Tanvir.

He already is in my eyes. A bowling all-rounder. He likes batting against SA. That's for sure haha. Pretty decent attack too.

Well he definitely has the potential with both bat and ball, as he has proved that..

He is good enough to play in the team as an all rounder. But I think we should just keep him at #8 and not put any pressure on his batting. If we are playing on a flat pitch (like the 1 in SL-Pak match) maybe its worth putting him up to #7 in order to play 5 bowlers (like we did with Bichel did in windies).

The advantage for Mitch is that he picked up cricket fairly late in life I believe, so you would think he has more to learn - especially about batting. At the moment he's just a former tennis player with a good eye, good technique and strength to hit long.

I can see him as a Richard Hadlee or Wasim Akram or Shaun Pollock type batsman. Hadlee started at #8, but often batted at #7, - probably a stretch, but in the 80s he had the reliable Ian Smith below him to solidify the order. Akram sometimes made it to #7, but mainly played at #8. Wasim had huge amounts of talent, but so often threw his wicket away. Pollock was like Hadlee, playing a fair bit at #7 but more often at #8 to make the SA batting lineup insanely long as Boucher sometimes played at #9.

But those 3 guys could be called comparable or even better batsmen than their keepers. Hadlee beat out Ian Smith for #7. Wasim Akram would sometimes bat ahead of Rashid Latif or Moin Khan. Pollock used to bat ahead of Boucher, but Boucher passed him later on. Mitch is never going to outbat Brad Haddin I would think. He might outbat Haddin's replacement/successor though. Depends who the Aussies go for.

But Mitch certainly deserves the #8 spot, and going on current form a Brad Haddin/Mitch Johnson team at #7 and #8 could be 2 of the best batsmen to play at those spots ever.

Overreactionary?? I don't think so. The best pure #8s of recent times are probably Ian Smith, Danny Vettori and Chaminda Vaas. Mitch has a very good record compared to those guys.

And at #7, Gilchrist is the leader in history but after that you'd have Alan Knott, Kapil Dev and...maybe Imran, Chris Cairns, Jeff Dujon. But Haddin would have to be up there with those tier of guys at present.

And yet the Aussie selectors want to lengthen the tail by putting McDonald at #8 :noway

Last edited:
Johnson is a number 8 and should stay there, he is clean striker of the ball but he is just a hitter, he never moves his feet.

How can you call someone an allrounder when they average 8.35 in limited overs matches?

Users who are viewing this thread