Murali v Warne

Who is better?

• Warne

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Muri

Votes: 40 48.8%

• Total voters
Warne by a mile.

I've seen both in real life and on TV of course, and Warne is miles miles miles better.

The ICC changed the legal arm bending just for Murali. That means he is a chucker and why the hell does he get off but Botha gets thrown out. Rubbish!

Last edited:
Oh and also, I'd like to add that as a South African I saw Warne as a MUCH bigger threat to us than Murali EVER was. Of course, us South Africans are known for not playing warne :P

But even with the English. Warne absolutely carves them up. (Remember the 2005 ashes!!!) People say murali carries the team, well Warne was the ONLY player turning it on for Australia then, with the BAT and the ball. That's another aspect, Warne is much better batsman.

Murali also got a good 100 or so of his wickets playing puss teams like Bangladesh and spending most of his time on crumbling wickets.

Warne by a mile.

I've seen both in real life and on TV of course, and Warne is miles miles miles better.

The ICC changed the legal arm bending just for Murali. That means he is a chucker and why the hell does he get off but Botha gets thrown out. Rubbish!

I think botha was called after the rule change came to affect. So he was str8in his arm more than 15 degrees and that was just with his offspinner coz as i recall he didn't have any variations.

And really no individual is bigger than the game. If the ICC thought that he was chucking they could've kept the original rules and told him not to ball the doosra. They could've just banned that particular delivery. His offie and top spinner is well under 5 degrees. The truth was that they did the biomechanics thing on all bowlers and decided to change a law that was around since the laws for cricket were probably first written. Why not use technology when its available?

Last edited:
I think botha was called after the rule change came to affect. So he was str8in his arm more than 15 degrees and that was just with his offspinner coz as i recall he didn't have any variations.

And really no individual is bigger than the game. If the ICC thought that he was chucking they could've kept the original rules and told him not to ball the doosra. They could've just banned that particular delivery. His offie and top spinner is well under 5 degrees. The truth was that they did the biomechanics thing on all bowlers and decided to change a law that was around since the laws for cricket were probably first written. Why not use technology when its available?
I see where you are coming from, but didn't Murali go to the ICC for tests and they found his arm was past the legal degree and then they changed it JUST after they found out he was technically breaking the rules?

That's the story the media lead me to believe anyway.

I don't know about you but having different degrees for different types doesn't make sense, I also believe that many bowlers at the time were breaking the laws.

http://different-stroke.blogspot.com/2007/05/did-icc-really-changed-rule-books-to.html

Good read, ignoring the grammar, obviously...;)
yes yes yes, we all know that most bowlers were throwing under the laws. But isnt it a bit suss when they conveniently lift the degree limit just one over what Murali was bowling....

Instead of conviniently lifting it over what Mcgrath was bowling? Or Lee? Where do you draw the line then ?

To all people who have seen Murali live know he still chucks?

Seriously, it doesn't matter what the ICC did for him (extending the degrees allowed when bowling) you can still tell that he chucks. But anyways, yeah, as Animator said, Warne wasn't blessed with a crook arm that let him do extraordinary things with his arm and wrist. He had to learn and teach himself to rip big leggies and bowl well. I think Murali has had it easy with his wacky action and dodgy arm helping him..
So you'll discard all biomechanical tests and go by what you think you're seeing? You know what angle his arm extends to by looking at it? Right.......

We need a few fools in the world to make the rest look good I suppose.

Last edited:
So you'll discard all biomechanical tests and go by what you think you're seeing? You know what angle his arm extends to by looking at it? Right.......

The tests said he chucked until they changed the rules because they realised this.

The tests said he chucked until they changed the rules because they realised this.

dude come on already, by the previous rules you know that he wasnt the only one that chucked, im sure that if he didnt have a crooked arm he wouldnt have been called for throwing but some other bowler would have been and the ICC would realise that other bowlers throw.

you keep saying that it was changed for him but it was changed for almost all the bowlers in cricket because they kept breaking the 5 degree limit too. now maybe they could have made it 10 degrees or somthing but Murali probably wasnt the only bowler breaking the 10 degrees and they decided to make it 15. if they stuck with 5 degrees there would be nobody to bowl today only a small amount of bowlers are under 5 degrees and almost all offies look like they throw atleast to me.

the 15 degrees seems to be working as it has been proven that only the extreme cases are being reported like Shabir Ahmed, Botha, Abdur Razzaq amd numerous others.

the bottom line is that the rule wasnt changed from 5 degrees just for Murali but was it changed to 15 degrees just for him you can only speculate because we dont know by how many degrees all the other bowlers are bending their arms unless everyone gets tested and their stats get released to the public.

Instead of conviniently lifting it over what Mcgrath was bowling? Or Lee? Where do you draw the line then ?

I dont give a rats ass about biomechanical tests, but even those Tests arent accurate because he can bowl however he wants in them tests because its not in a game situation - and the testers noted that he bowled well slower during the tests. So they are bogus.

Mate, just watch the friggin screen and you can see his bowling arm is not normal and he throws the ball, simple as that.

Mate, just watch the friggin screen and you can see his bowling arm is not normal and he throws the ball, simple as that.

I don't have a protracter on me and you cannot measure the second image for straightness because of the angle but...

I dont give a rats ass about biomechanical tests, but even those Tests arent accurate because he can bowl however he wants in them tests because its not in a game situation - and the testers noted that he bowled well slower during the tests. So they are bogus.

What about the tests of his bowling action on the delivery which Darell Hair no balled? Or was that a big conspiracy by the University of Western Australia.

Last edited:
I don't have a protracter on me and you cannot measure the second image for straightness because of the angle but...

What about the tests of his bowling action on the delivery which Darell Hair no balled? Or was that a big conspiracy by the University of Western Australia.
OK, yeah yeah yeah, show me what you like. I dont care if you think Iam an arragont tosser, but to me he throws it. Them tests did nothing to convince me...I dont know what your talking about on the second comment? Did they do tests on the "no ball" ball?

Hooper, Hooper, Hooper. If you don't give a rat's ass about biomechanical tests, how the frig do you expect anyone to give a rat's ass about anything you say ?

Hooper, Hooper, Hooper. If you don't give a rat's ass about biomechanical tests, how the frig do you expect anyone to give a rat's ass about anything you say ?
Well, some people probably do, a lot probably don't. I dont mind - your choice. I just dont think them tests are good enough to tell whether he throws or not because the limits were stretched for him... And you can still see (even though these tests apparently cleared him) that his bowling action isn't ok and he is a thrower.

90% of those who watch cricket don't even know that it's legal to bowl with a bent arm, and thus think Murali chucks.

90% of those who watch cricket don't even know that it's legal to bowl with a bent arm, and thus think Murali chucks.

yeah true.. and some think it was allowed just because of murali.. while many other bowlers bowl with bent arms... technology proved that it was natural to have a slight bent for any bowler so they allowed 15 degrees bend.. also 15 degrees were allowed after checking murali because he was the first one to undergo such a test. after murali's test only they found out that most bowlers are "chucking". some ppl dont get this and go on telling that 15 degrees was allowed just because of murali..

Users who are viewing this thread