My review & Results after tweaking the AI a little

crick4life

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I haven't done a review but the game is utterly disappointing for me. Please do not give me stick for it as it is my opinion. You may have yours and I respect that but in my opinion it is absolutely rubbish at its current state.

The following is my review just in case :

The game is way too slow to play and nothing really has changed from what it used to be with Cricket 2004. I started to play a 50 overs game as NZ against SL and you wouldn't believe I scored 25 runs of leg byes in the first 15 overs. I scored around 100+ off the first 20 overs losing 5 wickets. No prize for guessing I lost 4 wickets for yorkers.

The number of yorkers has increased in Cricket 2005 and disappointingly the bowlers always bowl on the stumps. I cannot remember having played one shot through the off side. All my runs came on the leg side or straight.

Vaas conceeded 50 runs off his 10 overs but CPU kept bowling Vaas until he finished his bowling in just one spell as I had expected. Bowling changes were crap(not that there were any), I didn't notice any special delivery by any bowler being bowled. I was beaten just once through out the 20 overs. In the next game Jayasuriya replaced the second strike bowler in the 8th over, the same as was in Brian Lara Cricket 1999 :eek:

Murali came on to bowl after Vaas finished his spell and the very first few balls by Murali was no prize again for guessing here a yorker. At this point of time I thought cricket 2004 is far better with all the patches we have and !xspeed works with it too. Lest Sachin Tendulkar didn't come with a dumb looking face with a moustache in Cricket 2004. There you go they scored nada on graphics IMO.

What has changed from Cricket 2004 is new OZ domestic cricket which I wouldnt bother playing. They took off loads of stadiums and the players look as if they are in constant constipation. They added leg byes bug and they screwed up the sound this time. It is very annoying to play with let alone the commentary but even with crowd and sound effects. Each time balls goes to a fielder it feels the ball struck the wickets hard. That is so stupid and irresponsible on the part of EA. All it required from them was to replace the sound file but they thought why the hell should we bother people anyway buy the game.

Sorry if I am being harsh on EA but they don't deserve a single accolade.

After the tweaks though, got the bowlers to bowl predominantly outside the off and tweaked a little to make batting enjoyable at hard level. The result is much better, less yorkers, batting enjoyable and bowling that much harder. Now when we bat we do get beaten by swing and seam. We do get balls bowled on the leg side but we can't do much about that.

This works very well in test matches where there are no wides called for bowling outside the off. In ODIs it is absoltuley ridiculous the umpire, I was beaten few times outside the off and not even the dumbest of club umpires would call it a wide but EA umpire does. Bottom line is if the bowler beats the batsman outside the off with swing and seam the umpire calls it wides :mad:

Watch the video http://www.overthewicket.com/blc/Cricket2005.wmv for the shots that I played after tweaking.

Last edited:

groobz

Club Cricketer
Yep the cpu bowls too many yorkers and full balls, but yorkers are easy to play, just straight drive.
The ai does suck though,, ravi, any change you can tweak the cpu to score faster? because as of now bowling is useless because of the slow cpu runrates. by the way i'm unable to download that video.

crick4life

International Cricketer
Really, the bloody CPU scores at an unbelivable pace from what I have experienced. Is there any period when CPU slows down or is it just in general? I have to say I haven't played too much to have a say at CPU pacing but we can definitely improve that. Its just the same old wine in a new bottle (Cricket 2004 configs) anyways. I see that bowling is just too easy and that may be contributing to CPU not being able to score quick enough. The problem with CPU bowling though is it's just too straight and full. We can't play shots like pulls, hooks, cuts and back foot shots on the off side. It was very nice to play the late cut but with the orginal CPU bowling state it is was impossible to play the late cut. Check out the video you will see what I mean. BTW they took off all the replay camera action in this game and wonder why?

Sorry about the download, I have now fixed it. Try now mate.

Kerry_OKeeffe

Club Captain
Interesting read, the tweak for less yorkers sounds great

BTW, have u found anyway to reduce misfields or possibly turn Andrew Symonds into a medium pacer.. (I tried tweaking around with the roster before and couldn't find the offset for bowling type)

Anyway, keep up the good work

groobz

Club Cricketer
I agree, the power on a lot of the strokes are messed up. backfoot cover/on drives are useless, cuts hooks are almost useless. one of the legglances is useless,, yet square cut rockets to the boundry most of the time, and coverdrives are usefull as well,, its just all over the place. With some good tweaking, the game will run nice i think.

adthomp

International Cricketer
yeah i agree with most of that are you going to be releasing this tweak for us in the future?? looking forward too it I want some dam balls balled on the offside and leg stump!! and in a test match the straight drive is useless you can't beat the field it is impossible hooking is a joke too I get hit 90% of the time maybe I just suck at timing it I dunno

the way the CPU uses its bowlers in test match is this (lets keep the openign bowlers on until the end of session) then lets keep teh spiners for teh 2nd session the ..... well you all get it by now

also teh way teh AI bats for teh CPU is pathetic ... lets block teh first 100 balls then smash it around for 4s and 6s ehhhh thats not the way you bat in the real game.. and in ODI they just collapse and get out and start trying big hits too late

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The link still doesnt work for me !!

Hero

Club Captain
Yes the link is not working.Anyway the things you have mentioned are notable but I believe that after patching this game will be much more enjoyable than Cricket2004.

crick4life

International Cricketer
The downloads should work guys, please have another go. BTW in the above video, I am always batting with CPU bowling.

Groobz, I can upload my big file that I am using to bat in test matches if you like. I could also upload the oneday50.cfg file that I am using if you want to use it for your ODI in Cricket 2005 to make CPU more aggressive. Let me know.

Kerry_OKeeffe said:
Interesting read, the tweak for less yorkers sounds great

BTW, have u found anyway to reduce misfields or possibly turn Andrew Symonds into a medium pacer.. (I tried tweaking around with the roster before and couldn't find the offset for bowling type)

Anyway, keep up the good work

No Kerry, so far I haven't looked at anything apart from the ones mentioned. One quick look and thanks to reusing of cricket 2004 configs I pretty much knew what to tweak to make it slightly playable.

jonah

International Coach
crick4life said:
Really, the bloody CPU scores at an unbelivable pace from what I have experienced. Is there any period when CPU slows down or is it just in general? I have to say I haven't played too much to have a say at CPU pacing but we can definitely improve that. Its just the same old wine in a new bottle (Cricket 2004 configs) anyways. I see that bowling is just too easy and that may be contributing to CPU not being able to score quick enough. The problem with CPU bowling though is it's just too straight and full. We can't play shots like pulls, hooks, cuts and back foot shots on the off side. It was very nice to play the late cut but with the orginal CPU bowling state it is was impossible to play the late cut. Check out the video you will see what I mean. BTW they took off all the replay camera action in this game and wonder why?

Sorry about the download, I have now fixed it. Try now mate.
Agree with everything there mate. It must be my poor bowling (line and length), but the cpu hammers me in odis (mind you, I have only played against Aus and SL and Gilli and Jayasuriya have smashed everything around so maybe thats why :rolleyes: ).
re the replays (not the automatic ones after a boundary but the user generated ones - pausing and selecting 'replay'), you can move the camera angle to wherever you want by right clicking and moving the mouse. You can get some lovely replays that way.

groobz

Club Cricketer
Ravi, if you could upload the ai file to make the cpu more aggressive in onedayers, and the big test file, it would be greatly appreciated, i'll give it a shot tonight!.

Pat

International Coach
The link now works fine..Well i never had this problem (after playing the game for 4 days now) of cpu bowling too many yorkers and as jonah said even i get thrashed to all parts of the ground while bowling i.e the Ai is already quite challenging for me !!

jonah

International Coach
Pat said:
and as jonah said even i get thrashed to all parts of the ground while bowling i.e the Ai is already quite challenging for me !!
Lol, glad someone agrees with me Pat ;) . We must need more practise mate :D

Pat

International Coach
jonah said:
Lol, glad someone agrees with me Pat ;) . We must need more practise mate :D

haha,we sure must !! :)

Hero

Club Captain
Ravi this sounds very good that you have tweaked the ai bit more so less yorker and much variety in bowling including more visible swing and seam.Have also altered the power of shots and direction as Eddie is doing?I must say that you should upload your files.Although yet I have not managed to get the game but hopefully will get one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread