Story My World Test Championship

cd779

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Hope this is the right place for this thread - I'm planning on playing an entire World Test Championship in DBC17, starting very soon, and recording it here. This will be the format:

Qualifying Round 1:
Three groups of four teams, based on geography. Each team plays every other team in their group once, and the winners and runners-up progress to Qualifying Round 2.

Qualifying Round 2:
The six teams from QR1 are joined by Ireland, UAE, Afghanistan, Scotland, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Teams are split into four groups of three teams each, and each team plays every other team once at home, and once away. The winner of each group progresses to Test Championship Qualifying.

Test Championship Qualifying:
The four group winners are joined by the eight remaining Test nations. They are divided into four groups of three teams each. Each team will play four Test series of three matches each - two against each other team in the group, one at home and one away. The winners of each group progress to the Test Championship Division One, and the bottom placed team in each group progresses to the Test Championship Division Two. The runners-up in each group progress to the repechage.

Repechage:
The final format of this has yet to be decided - the teams will be drawn into pairs, with the winner from each pair progressing to Division One, and the loser from each progressing to Division Two.

Test Championships:
Division One is made up of six teams divided into two groups of three. Division Two is made up of eight teams divided into two groups of four - the remaining two teams having been pulled from a best losers competition. Each Division will be decided by Tests between the winner of each group.

This is a pretty mammoth task as you can see, but I'm in no rush ...

Group 1 of Qualifying Round 1 involves Papua New Guinea, Oman, Singapore and Malaysia, with matches to take place at neutral venues: Kowloon in Hong Kong, North Sydney Oval in Australia and Bay Oval in New Zealand. The first round of matches, taking place from 1-5 February 2017 involves Papua New Guinea against Oman at Kowloon, and Malaysia versus Singapore at Bay Oval.

In this qualifying round, 16 points are awarded for a win, 8 for a tie and 5 for a draw. Additional points can also be scored in the first innings of both teams. When batting, 200-249 runs scores 1 point, 250-299 scores 2, 300-349 scores 3, 350-399 scores 4 and 340+ scores 5. When bowling, 3-5 wickets taken scores 1 point, 6-8 scores 2 and 9-10 scores 3.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
How are you planning to do this? AI vs AI or are you playing as each team?

I wanted to do this but have been put off by the lack of realism in AI vs AI cricket.

cd779

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Qualifying Round 1, Group 1, Test 1 - Papua New Guinea against Oman at Hong Kong
Day 1 - Lunch - Papua New Guinea 113-5, Oman yet to bat.

It was an enthralling morning of cricket to start the World Test Championship, and Oman will be the happier of the two sides. Papua New Guinea had seemed well set to build a considerable first innings score, reaching 40 without losing a wicket, before a series of poor dismissals and excellent bowling saw them lose five wickets in the last 20 overs of the session. Oman's wide array of bowling talent came to the fore as six bowlers saw action; four of them took wickets. After an expensive start which saw pace at both ends, the spinner Liaqat was brought into the attack and struck in his second over - the opener Morea decided too late to play a defensive shot on the back foot, and his edge dropped easily into the hands of Ahmed, Oman's wicketkeeper. His fellow opener, Siaka, who had seemed well set on 29 runs, then attempted to play a thumping shot to the off-side when facing a bouncer, but gave an opportunity to one of the slips catchers who took a stunner to reduce Papua New Guinea to 57-2. The efforts of Vala for Papua New Guinea allowed them to cool slightly in their attempt to avoid a collapse - but his partner at the other end, Bau, couldn't resist a wander down the track against the medium pacer; he was promptly caught by Ahmed off an inside edge. Vala then fell himself as he mistimed a leg glance, missing the ball completely as it struck the top of his stumps. Dai made the same mistake as Bau in the last few overs of the session, marauding down the pitch to hit the ball into a gap, but mistiming it and was out caught and bowled. At the end of plau, Amini and Hiri were on 13 and 1 run respectively. Papua New Guinea have a long way to go if they are to live up to their billing as favourites to top this group.

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1482948367][/DOUBLEPOST]
How are you planning to do this? AI vs AI or are you playing as each team?

I wanted to do this but have been put off by the lack of realism in AI vs AI cricket.

I'm batting as both teams. It's not perfect (the batting issues with the game are well known) but with sliders and a variety of skill levels and mentalities it's still very enjoyable in my opinion.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Well what a great idea. I'm doing the same thing but with bowling. I hope you don't mind if I put a thread up as well. (I did this in earlier cricket games a lot and ended up with Craig McMillan playing something like 240 matches).

cd779

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Well what a great idea. I'm doing the same thing but with bowling. I hope you don't mind if I put a thread up as well. (I did this in earlier cricket games a lot and ended up with Craig McMillan playing something like 240 matches).
Of course - would love to follow yours as well!

Going to be a long old slog to complete, but can't wait to see how it develops.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Of course - would love to follow yours as well!

Going to be a long old slog to complete, but can't wait to see how it develops.

Yeah I had mine going for something like twelve years. I unfortunately lost all of the stats in 2014 and lost interest when I realised DBC14 attributes didn't work properly. I wanted to resurect it for DBC17 but it was mainly done on BLIC2005.

So yeah I hope this inspires you that it doesnt have to be rushed! You can play a fine cricket game forever and it won't get old, and the narrative will develop.

New_Bitmap_Image.jpg

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yeah I had mine going for something like twelve years. I unfortunately lost all of the stats in 2014 and lost interest when I realised DBC14 attributes didn't work properly. I wanted to resurect it for DBC17 but it was mainly done on BLIC2005.

So yeah I hope this inspires you that it doesnt have to be rushed! You can play a fine cricket game forever and it won't get old, and the narrative will develop.

New_Bitmap_Image.jpg

Wow.

cd779

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England

That's very impressive - also glad to know I'm not the only one with an Excel spreadsheet like that!

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I'm doing a similar test championship with 10 of my custom teams. On pro.

While on the point of custom leagues
It's a shame we can't set up leagues with promotion and relegation. I have 39 custom teams although 5 are best of teams. So 34 teams.
Premier 10 teams(1 up 1 down)
Div 1: 9 teams ( 1 up 2 down)
Div 2: 9 teams ( 2up 1 down)
Dec league: 6 teams (1 up no relegation)

^^^BA could this be made possible?

Also I'd devised a format in DB14 that I'd like to try in this league system of it were possible.

Two day fixture
1st inns
Team batting 1st has 65 overs
Team batting 2nd has 25 overs
2nd inns
Team batting 1st 25 overs
Team batting 2nd 65 overs.
90 overs per day.

It's really good fun trying to chase a target or try to survive for a draw. With quick pitch wear with spin and friction turned up its really good cricket.
5 pts for win
2 for draw/tie
0 for loss.
Bowling bonus point 2 for 10 wkts.
Batting bonus points 4 for 400

I only wish I could change kits for the different inns, and have power plays in the 25ov section

cd779

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
@Ajh1977 - it would be nice if BA added promotion/relegation in custom leagues as you say, and it's implemented into Career Mode so presumably wouldn't be too much of an issue to include in other modes. I'm also very intrigued by your game format, seems like it would produce a good game ... may have to give it a try at some point.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
@Ajh1977 - it would be nice if BA added promotion/relegation in custom leagues as you say, and it's implemented into Career Mode so presumably wouldn't be too much of an issue to include in other modes. I'm also very intrigued by your game format, seems like it would produce a good game ... may have to give it a try at some point.

It's really good fun. I'd toyed with the idea of a 90ov 1st inns but this seemed about right.

cd779

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Qualifying Round 1, Group 1, Test 1 - Papua New Guinea against Oman at Hong Kong - February 1-5 2017
Day 1 - Tea - Papua New Guinea 210, Oman 26-0.

Oman continued to dominate the first Test of the Championship, despite a scare along the way. They took the wicket of Amini early on in the afternoon session, enabling wicket-keeper Ura to join Hiri Hiri at the crease - and he proceeded to batter the Omani bowlers, scoring 46 off just 32 balls - finally falling to an inside edge which carried to the wicket-keeper as he attempted to force his half-century. This was off the bowling of Kader, who went on to take the first 5fer of the series. Hiri Hiri also impressed, holding the other end firm with a slow 27 from 75 balls before lashing out at the spinner Mustafa and finding himself out stumped. The last three batsmen added only five between them, ensuring that the innings finished with Papua New Guinea on 210 - securing them a bonus point - and putting Oman into bat for five overs before tea. However, this short batting session only further exemplified the way in which the game had turned against Papua New Guinea - Mustafa hit 21 from 22 balls and Amir Ali remained in place at the other end to put Oman in the driving seat heading into the first evening session.

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread