Nathan Hauritz role in the Australian test side. Should he really be playing?

I don't think I would play 4 pacemen. that back fired horribley when they did that last time against india and all things considered it should have had a lot better chance of working in perth than it will here.

smith seems a bit too much, new cameron white, when he emerged he was going to be the next warne, now he's an all-rounder touted for the 6 spot. how long before he's pretty much a batsman that turns his arm over now and again?

It's all very interesting really, not often do you get that kind of insight into what's actually happening between bowler and captain.

I think Ponting's confidence in Hauritz is the key to any discussion of his place in the side. Look at how Ricky obviously had no confidence in Krejza since one poor Test of run leaking signalled the end for him, despite the previous Test bringing him 12 wickets. Then we saw North bowling instead of Hauritz last Test, but didn't that happen in Cardiff last year too at the end? Until we see Hauritz more blatantly ignored, I think he'll be OK (short term...)

By the 4th Ashes test, Hauritz was no more and probably the only reason he got back in was because we lost the last Ashes test and the selectors panicked.

By the 4th Ashes test, Hauritz was no more and probably the only reason he got back in was because we lost the last Ashes test and the selectors panicked.

Ye it was knee-jerk selection. If AUS had won @ the Oval, i am very sure AUS would have been playing an all-pace in most conditions up until today.

War added 1 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

I don't think I would play 4 pacemen. that back fired horribley when they did that last time against india and all things considered it should have had a lot better chance of working in perth than it will here.

smith seems a bit too much, new cameron white, when he emerged he was going to be the next warne, now he's an all-rounder touted for the 6 spot. how long before he's pretty much a batsman that turns his arm over now and again?

AUS have never played 4-paceman in IND & it backfired.

Ye it was knee-jerk selection. If AUS had won @ the Oval, i am very sure AUS would have been playing an all-pace in most conditions up until today.

War added 1 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

I know, they did in perth though. which is what I said, if 4 pacemen won't work in perth it's hardly going to work in bangalore.

I also dont like the idea of 4 frontline quicks.Over rates would be a worry.Hauritz has done enough to stay in the team.The spinner who could have really been a match winner on a ragging turner for the aussie is McGain, but he got slaughted by the South Africans.Jason Krejza is not an option he got dumped by his state.Hauritz has really improve and i do expect he'll get a few 5 wicket hauls against the top side soon enough.

Its a bit of myth that an all-pace attack would have over-rate problems. Sure it can happen. But as already mentioned before, when AUS basically played 4 quicks in SA 08/09 & the final two Ashes tests 09, they didn't have a problem. Especially when you consider the AUS all-pace attack has the certain ability to bowl out teams more often that opposition would be scoring 400+ againts them.

Based on what i've sene of both Krejza & McGain. I'd certainly say Krejza look more likely to be a match-winner on turners.

Such optimism on Haurtiz is backed up by the facts of his performances over the last two years however.

Symptom_Control said:
I rate Krejza but he has done nothing in first class cricket to force his way back in.

Well its not as if Krejza did anything of real not in FC cricket before his test call-up before selected. He was picked on the basis of the selectors watching him bowl & having an hunch that he could have done a job @ international level & for once the selectors where proven right.

Plus given the pitches in shield cricket these days, its highley unlikely any spinner in the near future will be getting loads of wickets to force a call-up to the test side.

Krejza will always be dangerous @ international level on turners. But you have to play him as part of a 5-man attack.

War added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

I know, they did in perth though. which is what I said, if 4 pacemen won't work in perth it's hardly going to work in bangalore.

That was a flat pitch pitch & the quality of the 4-man attack then isn't as good as it was now. It was only Lee/Clark backed up by two novies in Johnson & Tait.

The impression I got was they only played 4 quicks because of the Headingly pitch - which was totally the right call. Then they decided to try and keep that advantage at the Oval. I think half the reason being a psychological one rather than it being the best team for the conditions: 'hey these 4 ran through the Poms last Test, they'll be worried about that happening again' would have been the kind of comment coming from Jamie Cox's mouth I imagine. So I didn't think Hauritz was dropped. The quotes from Ponting afterwards certainly didn't indicate that he was dropped and then reinstated.

2008 was almost 4 quicks. Watson bowled more overs than White did in that series, so the 4 most used bowlers were fastmen. In fact, Michael Clarke almost bowled as many overs as White in that series :facepalm

Watson was the man bowling well on that 4th afternoon in Nagpur when Ponting decided to play Mr Morality with the overrates and bowl 25 overs of Krejza, White, Hussey and Clarke when the ball was reversing nicely. It's the failures of Perth 2008, Nagpur 2008 and the Oval 2009 that have dented the 4-man pace attack idea - rightly or wrongly is up to you...

That was a flat pitch pitch & the quality of the 4-man attack then isn't as good as it was now. It was only Lee/Clark backed up by two novies in Johnson & Tait.

only lee and clark? Lee was phenomenal that australian summer. Johnson has proved the best newbie they uncovered and Clark was still a force.

now who will it be, johnson, hilfenhaus, siddle and novie peter george? and siddle's been dropped before, not a huge difference for me.

I mean, am I the only person that's noticed that despite australia playing a spinner, they got to the point in the match where they needed to take 2 wickets with 90 runs in reserve. maybe you have to just say well done Laxman and Sharma, because I'm pretty sure give them 2 wickets to win with india needing around 90 runs to win in bangalore, they'd take that.

Spot on, he just seems super-overrated. His batting is painfully awkward to watch as well, he will probably be figured out easily by quality Test bowlers.

I think the calls to give North's spot to Smith are silly when there are plenty of proper batsmen in Aussie domestic. All the recent collapses show if anything that Australia need a proper batsman at 6 once North is dropped. Bringing in an all-rounder in that spot is hardly going to cure the batting woes.

Also I hate his hair, he looks like he just came from the trailer park. What is with all the bleached blonde hair and Aussies? Did you lot just discover Eminem or something?

His batting is painfully awkward to watch as well, he will probably be figured out easily by quality Test bowlers.

Maybe, we won't know until he gets a go. But I sense he's one of those unusual players who bowlers may find difficult to bowl to because he's unorthodox. Then again, we said the same about Phil Hughes...

I'd like to see Smith get a chance up the order in the ODIs just to see what he can do - and with Ponting being rested it seems like a good time to try. It seems silly that there is talk of him batting at #6 in Tests, but he's not trusted above 7 or 8 in the ODIs and T20s.

Spot on, he just seems super-overrated. His batting is painfully awkward to watch as well, he will probably be figured out easily by quality Test bowlers.

I think the calls to give North's spot to Smith are silly when there are plenty of proper batsmen in Aussie domestic. All the recent collapses show if anything that Australia need a proper batsman at 6 once North is dropped. Bringing in an all-rounder in that spot is hardly going to cure the batting woes.

Also I hate his hair, he looks like he just came from the trailer park. What is with all the bleached blonde hair and Aussies? Did you lot just discover Eminem or something?

Agreed that we need a proper batsman to replace North , and not necessarily an all rounder.This isn't ODI cricket where all rounders are a must.Anyways we all ready have an all rounder in Shane Watson and one of the best part timers in Katish.So what we should be asking is who is the next best bat( under31) in domestic cricket (not in the test playing 11)?In my opinion its Hughes.What do you guys think who is the next best bat?

if Aussies want to win the WC here in sub continent then they must have a good spinner i don't think that Huaritz is that one.May be they should try smith or any other but with Huaritz it's not gonna work.After warne Australia have failed to find a quality spinner

Agreed that we need a proper batsman to replace North , and not necessarily an all rounder.This isn't ODI cricket where all rounders are a must.Anyways we all ready have an all rounder in Shane Watson and one of the best part timers in Katish.So what we should be asking is who is the next best bat( under31) in domestic cricket (not in the test playing 11)?In my opinion its Hughes.What do you guys think who is the next best bat?

Hughes had his shot, go for Khawaja

Users who are viewing this thread