Nba 2k9

nightprowler10

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Anybody else playing this game? I have to say its one of the most realistic sports games I've ever played. The presentation makes it feel like you're in a real basketball game and the animations are incredible. Gameplay is great as well except every once in a while the computer will make you lose no matter what. The opposition will block nearly everything and its frustrating, but other than that its a really good game.

The association mode is the best ever. Not only do you have to worry about keeping the owner happy but the players as well by giving them enough play time and delivering what you promised (starting position, sixth man, etc) or else the player's agent will demand a trade or the player just won't resign. The presentation in this department is excellent as well.

Would love to hear other people's opinion on it.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I'm actually about to buy this game. I've heard fantastic things about and it sure looks great.

How does this compare to NBA 09? I heard that one had some kind of 'live' feature, that was actually in sync with the current season, and players in form IRL will be in form in game. And the rosters sync up too.

nightprowler10

Executive member
Apologies for the huge bumpage, but I just had to share my excitement over this game as I spend more time on it. I'm in the second season of my association mode, which again is fantastic and I've finally figured out how to keep my players happy and how to properly train and develop them. The incredible amount of detail in almost every department is amazing. I wish there was more detail in stats though, but can't have it all I guess. I also love how the in-game analysis by the commentators is spot on usually after the first season as the computer gets used to your game. The AI loves to punish you for mistakes you make and you're forced to think. On multiplayer, again its easy to beat people who just like to run and gun if you know something about the fundamentals of the game.

As for the question about EA's effort, almost all the reviews I've read have placed the 2K effort over the EA one and have done so since a couple of years ago, although apparently this is the closest they've gotten to 2K sports quality since the latter started making basketball games. EA's DNA stuff sounds impressive but pretty useless after this season is over I reckon. Of course 2K has something similar that updates your roster all year long including injuries and such, though not sure if it takes form into account or not.

D

Deleted member 13648

I've been thinking of getting this as soon as I played the demo. I just dunno if it's right for me. I have a very limited knowledge of B-ball but I do know a few of the big players. Is it worth it for me Usman?

nightprowler10

Executive member
The great thing about the game is that its for noobs and purists alike. My brother in law is what I would call a casual bball player and likes to play a run and gun kind of game with his favorite players. He seems to be really enjoying the game and agrees with me that this is the best one yet. Of course you'd be at a disadvantage when up against someone who knows the sport better than you, as it should be (this wasn't the case in earlier versions). Another great thing here is that as you play on tougher levels, the gameplay gets harder by getting more realistic, rather than just making it harder to shoot or the ball going through your hand on defense like in EA.

If you're worried about factors other than gameplay, as in other association stuff that I was talking about, don't be. When you start the association/franchise mode you get to decide what responsibilities you would like to take on. Assigning roles, keeping players happy, assigning practices, player development, managing hiring and firing of players and staff and/or extending contracts; all these things can be handled by the AI or you can simply turn some of that stuff off.

Having said all that, the game does have some noticeable glitches that sometimes tend to ruin the experience, but the pros far, far out weigh the cons here so I would confidently recommend this game to anybody.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
I chose NBA Live 09 over it, it's a great game too. Lots of game modes including the All-Star Weekend which is alot of fun.

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
Just Got NBA 2k9 about a month or so
Cant believe ive never bothered playing any 2ksports games before.
So much better than anything EASPORTS dish up.
In 2003-04 this is the style of games it looked like easports were makeing good gameplay,great tv style presentation and graphics.
But then they stopped going with the tv style presentation an there games went downhill also.

I wonder if alot of EA guys went to work with 2ksports.
Coz these 2ksports games look to be the direction EAsports were heading.

Since getting NBA 2k9 i have also got MLB 2k9 now i cant stand watching baseball but im loving playing this game aswell.

2KSPORTS games are the best.

I have most EASPORTS games an after finally trying a 2k one i cant go back.

nightprowler10

Executive member
If only they'd get into making cricket games. :(

I chose NBA Live 09 over it, it's a great game too. Lots of game modes including the All-Star Weekend which is alot of fun.

2K9 has Blacktop which has a dunk competition, but I'm not sure what else it has as that isn't a part of the game I'm interested in. From reviews I've read, the dunk comp is much better in 2K9 than in Live 09, apparently the latter makes it much more complicated.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Ahk, Live has the All-Star Weekend which has the Dunk competition, three point shootout, All-Star game and rookies game.

ye the dunk competition is hard

usy

Chairman of Selectors
NBA is usually a very chill game, helps you relax.

nightprowler10

Executive member
I may have to invest in an Xbox360 after getting out of college, then!
Not sure what kind of games you're into but I would recommend investing in a PS3 instead, the games look so much better and the hardware failure rate nowhere near as high as 360. Not to mention you get the ability to play blu-rays. I have both btw.
You got Live Usman?

I used to but my wireless connection sucked so bad I quit using it. I plan on setting up my internet near my entertainment system in a couple of weeks so hopefully I'll have online capability on both my PS3 and 360. I have this game on PS3 btw.

nightprowler10

Executive member
Just finished one of the tightest games I've ever played on this game. Its the 2010 NBA Finals, my Bulls have just barely scraped through the conference finals to face the clinical Spurs. The result was that I won Game 1 in the 4th after trailing most of the game, but just look at the stats. Just goes to show the quality of the game and the toughness in the finals.

Attachments

• IMG_5728.jpg
    IMG_5728.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread