Oct 1 - Sri Lanka v England

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think we're a million miles away, which is one of the most frustrating things, we just need to get the right combinations. Something like this:

1) Hales - to attack, just go from ball one
2) Kieswetter - to anchor the innings, his natural role, he can catch up, no problem
3) Wright - Same as Hales
4) KP - just play his natural game - perhaps before Wright depending on when we lose the first
5) Morgan
6) Bairstow/Buttler
7) Bresnan/Woakes
8) Broad
9) Swann
10) Finn
11) Briggs/Pace bowler

I don't think that's a bad side with Wright as the 6th bowling option. We just need to get away from bits and pieces allrounders and find a better death bowler if Broad and Bresnan don't prove good enough. I think Dernbach needs to go back to county cricket and find some form and Morgan being Captain would take pressure off of Broad, hopefully making his bowling better.

Obviously, some more guys who do well in County cricket would be ideal too, in every area really, but especially that third Seamer.

War

Chairman of Selectors
That's said too easily. Right now, Sri Lanka will most likely face either India or Pakistan (considering that South Africa's chances look very remote). India and Pakistan are stronger than Sri Lanka, and Sri Lanka wont be favorites then. India is one of the rare teams that has a stronghold over Malinga. And India have also cracked Mendis pretty well. And in recent times, India have had a stupendous record against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka in the shorter formats. And also Pakistan, which is an excellent T20 team, with the likes of Ajmal, Afridi, etc.

If South Africa somehow miraculously manage to qualify, then it will most likely be an easier task for Sri Lanka. My heart says an India vs Sri Lanka semifinal, and probably my mind also almost agrees with it.:D

Ye i'm aware of India's recent record vs SRI and the way IND have handled Malinga and Mendis in recent times. It certainly should not be ignored.

But India haven't really impressed in this tournament at any point. They would have to beat S Africa 2moro (which i'm not sure they can) before one can truly say they can may be the bogey team that could topple SRI on home soil in world cup semi-final for me.

Pakistan have a better chance even with their unpredictably to beat SRI in a potential semi-final IMO. Mainly because i reckon on home soil SRI may be just have enough to hold them off.

Owzat

International Coach
Shame for Patel and Swann who batted well, probably too many runs to chase with Malinga "slinging" it in and our side looking fragile when put under pressure. You can't lose wickets that quickly and recover very often, the worst thing about the format is it can be a plummet rather than decline even if the scores sometimes end up looking quite close.

Can't believe we're "inking in" Wright on the basis of a score against Afghanistan, and an innings against the kiwis - or put another way, on the basis of runs when we were not under pressure ONCE against halfway decent opposition.

re 'bits n pieces' bowlers, we shouldn't need them but in that format then you can get away with bowling them. I think it is harsh on Patel to criticise his bowling, especially given he's been in and out of the side this tournament. What we do need to do is settle on five bowlers who will 9 times out of 10 bowl their four overs. With Finn (wickets), Swann, Broad and maybe Anderson or Bresnan we should have enough bowling with Patel and a spinner to come in if the pitch is right for a change of bowling emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread