Oct 1 - Sri Lanka v England

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think this is rather charitable from sri lanka holding malinga back. I know he's their preferred death bowler but with 4 wickets in 2 overs it might have been worth keeping him in the attack for another over.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Patel's batted well. But he's hardly ever effective enough with the ball to bowl 4 overs. That's the issue for me in T20s. You need 5 good bowlers, with ideally an option to bowl the odd one. In the last game we had that, in this one we just filled in with the likes of Bopara and Patel and it's simply not worked and hardly ever has really.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
well, for all I said about spin (can't have been the only that thought that would have been england's downfall) it was malinga that did them in.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Well, no doubt that the best two sides have gone through from this group, I'd love to see either one of them win it.

I think we need to go back to the drawing board though, getting Morgan in as Captain would be a good start.

D

Dutch

Well, no doubt that the best two sides have gone through from this group, I'd love to see either one of them win it.

I think we need to go back to the drawing board though, getting Morgan in as Captain would be a good start.

I agree. Morgan would make a good alternative. Broad is too immature for this role

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Need to get this England team home and have a good long look at what we want for the next world T20.

So far, the players that look to be inked in are:

The openers
1) -------------
2) Alex Hales -- Seems to be fine, has started his career well and will be hoping for more of the same.

Middle order
3) Luke Wright -- Seems to have found his position at number three - two big innings in this WT20, coming of age?
4) Eoin Morgan -- Our one real class player, but that doesn't change the fact that he has not really been getting runs of late.
5) Samit Patel -- When he finally got his chance, he looked like just about the only Englishman who could really handle spin. Can add overs too.
6) ----------------

Lower order
7) Jos Buttler -- with Patel adding overs, we could afford to play an extra batsman, and Jos Buttler's hard hitting and finishing ability make him the perfect number 7. He also takes the gloves.
8) Graeme Swann -- may be struggling in Test cricket, but his guile is undiminished in T20. Also, runs.
9) Stuart Broad -- not entirely convinced by his leadership, but if we keep him as captain he has to play.

The tail
10) Steve Finn -- this tall fast bowler has been hostile and effective. The perfect bowler that can take wickets and stop runs.
11) ----------

So, we need an opener, a middle order bat and a bowler.

Opening candidates:
  • Kieswetter - dropped for a reason - couldn't cement his place in three years
  • Lumb - another Saffa, never an international standard opener IMO
  • Carberry - hard hitting opening bat, but not sure he can tour because of his heart

Middle order candidates:
  • Bairstow - hasn't been able to score freely against good bowling so far in T20s. Would take gloves.
  • Bopara - batting like a heap of turd, but can bowl...
  • Pietersen - f*** him. No, really, f*** off KP
  • Compton - quality batsman who deserves a chance.
  • Trego - my choice, a top notch biffer who can bowl to boot.

Bowling contenders:
  • Dernbach - golden boy with the golden variations, but hittable
  • Briggs - quality spinner, but inexperienced

Gurjot95

National Board President
So here goes the defending champions. Couldn't even passed the easiest group unlike how every other user was saying after they were owned by India.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Sri Lanka look all set to reach the final, can't see any of their potential semi-final opponents toppling them on home soil.

D

Dutch

Good point here: KP will be one member of the England team staying for the final.

coolz_hari

International Coach
Srilanka is dominant from ball 1...one positive point for england is swann...The way he bowled and batted...awesome.But,Champions out.

----------

Need to get this England team home and have a good long look at what we want for the next world T20.

The openers
1) -------------
2) Alex Hales -- Seems to be fine, has started his career well and will be hoping for more of the same.

Middle order
3) Luke Wright -- Seems to have found his position at number three - two big innings in this WT20, coming of age?
4) Eoin Morgan -- Our one real class player, but that doesn't change the fact that he has not really been getting runs of late.
5) Samit Patel -- When he finally got his chance, he looked like just about the only Englishman who could really handle spin. Can add overs too.
6) ----------------

Lower order
7) Jos Buttler -- with Patel adding overs, we could afford to play an extra batsman, and Jos Buttler's hard hitting and finishing ability make him the perfect number 7. He also takes the gloves.
8) Graeme Swann -- may be struggling in Test cricket, but his guile is undiminished in T20. Also, runs.
9) Stuart Broad -- not entirely convinced by his leadership, but if we keep him as captain he has to play.

The tail
10) Steve Finn -- this tall fast bowler has been hostile and effective. The perfect bowler that can take wickets and stop runs.
11) ----------

Opening candidates:
  • Carberry - hard hitting opening bat, but not sure he can tour because of his heart

Middle order candidates:
  • Bairstow - hasn't been able to score freely against good bowling so far in T20s. Would take gloves.

Bowling contenders:

I personally impressed the way you expressed your views

War

Chairman of Selectors

The openers
1) -------------

Middle order
6) ----------------

Lower order

The tail
11) ----------

Opening candidates:

Middle order candidates:

Bowling contenders:

Compton is not a T20 player at all, very much a test only player. Carberry can play his shots - but i'm not convinced about his t20 credentials either.

The middle-order batsman that should have been part of the squad that i've stressed for months was Owais Shah. With England's problems vs spin well exposed in this competition - his presence in the middle order would have certainly helped.

The old player they went back for was Michael Lumb which was total madness.

With Shah being amongst the top 5 T20 run scorers worldwide since 2011 - Chris Gayle in Twenty20 matches in last 12 months : Chris Gayle in Twenty20 matches since 2011:A phenomenon in the shortest form | Cricket Features | Big Bash League | ESPN Cricinfo - it is not too late to get him back into the t20 set up for the 2014 tournament, regardless of how Bairstow and Buttler develop in the next two.

Conditions in Bangladesh will be once again test England's historic achillies heel vs spin and it will be lunacy to once again not pick one of the best players of spin in England when he playing so well.

Good shout on Trego, always thought he was unlucky not to be involved in England's t20 and odi's team. His batting for me is slightly better than Wright and bowling is more reliable too.

KP hopefully will be back also, regardless of whatever vitriol some fans may wish still to vent towards him.

Fact is, the best thing for English cricket is that this thing can be sorted out and they all can shake hands. Since England will forever be weaker team in any format without him.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Sri Lanka look all set to reach the final, can't see any of their potential semi-final opponents toppling them on home soil.

That's said too easily. Right now, Sri Lanka will most likely face either India or Pakistan (considering that South Africa's chances look very remote). India and Pakistan are stronger than Sri Lanka, and Sri Lanka wont be favorites then. India is one of the rare teams that has a stronghold over Malinga. And India have also cracked Mendis pretty well. And in recent times, India have had a stupendous record against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka in the shorter formats. And also Pakistan, which is an excellent T20 team, with the likes of Ajmal, Afridi, etc.

If South Africa somehow miraculously manage to qualify, then it will most likely be an easier task for Sri Lanka. My heart says an India vs Sri Lanka semifinal, and probably my mind also almost agrees with it.:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread