Open Source BLC, Collaborative Cricket Game - Open Source BLC, Collabo

Statman

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
About 6 months ago, I brought up the issue in the cricketgames.com forum regarding everyone to contribute and make an arcade cricket game. The general response was that it would be very difficult , which indeed it is. I mean even Codemasters took 2 years to complete the game and they had full time programmers working on everything. So, even if were to start from scratch, it would be almost impossible for everyone to just program a game for 8 hours and not get a penny for it. Simulation cricket games can be done, but in my opinion there already plenty of them in the market and they are quite well done (most of them).

The idea of getting Codemasters to make BLC is a good one. However, you cant just go and request them to do it. There are all sorts of legal boundaries that must be met, just take a look at the open source user license for Quake. I suggest we start an online request letter and have as many people as possible sign up to support the idea, maybe if we have at least 1000 signatures/email addys, we could send it to Codemasters requesting for the source code. Of course, the question is, how many people are still buying BLC, if they are a lot... than likely Codemasters will say no. If they arent that many then it is at their discretion. But if some how we did manage to get them to open source, what could we do ? Here are some things that I could be done :-)

improve cricket physics (wides, no balls, batting/bowling agression)

improve graphics - BLC for the PC is a PSX port meaning the graphics although cannot be totally changed, the graphics can be sharper, just look at the new kits. much nicer and textured

Add more commentary
Add more players
Add a more refined stats editor that tracks more stats
Add more tournaments/ teams
Add new musical scores/intros etc
Add more diffculty
Maybe a new batting system

My favorite wish would be to implement a network code for BLC that works via internet/modem and LAN.

If indeed BLC does go open source, almost all these things would be possible if not more. I say we gather everyone up and at least make a good solid effort to get things started in the right direction!!!

*** End Comments....thanks for reading***

(Edited by Statman at 1:40 pm on April 19, 2001)

Users who are viewing this thread