Opening of new threads in the Cricket Chat Forum

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Looking at the 'International Cricket' Section under the sub-forum 'Cricket Chat', one would find a 'India in West Indies June 2011' thread.
Is this thread even necessary at this point of time ? I mean, we are a good 7 months away from the actual series.

My proposal is to start threads for tours when they are 3 months away. That way, the enthusiasm levels would be high. Agreed that I have posted myself in the current thread but I feel if we do not put a stop to such threads, we may find a whole host of threads for 'series starting in Dec 2011' coming up in May 2011.

P

pcfan123

If people want to discuss upcoming tours I see no problem in it. 7 months is really not that long when you take into account people planning to go to the actual tour. We were discussing the 2010 Ashes basically since the 09 one ended, so your proposal would have robbed us of all that meaningful discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
If people want to discuss upcoming tours I see no problem in it. 7 months is really not that long when you take into account people planning to go to the actual tour. We were discussing the 2010 Ashes basically since the 09 one ended.

The Ashes is considered to be an important series. Do you really see that much traffic building up for a Ind- Win series ?

P

pcfan123

so who makes the judgment call on what is important and what is not? you?

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned

Tbf, it's not exactly difficult to work out which are the important series and which aren't. You're just being overly harsh for the sake of it.

P

pcfan123

I just don't think that the India tour of Windies next summer is too far away. We should always be allowed to discuss the next tour or the next summer.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Not me, I am no authority on this. But common sense tells you that the Ashes, World Cup are important series. Add to that you also have other series that are perceived by the cricketing fraternity as important.

Prior to this series, you have the World Cup,IPL then you have West Indies in Pakistan, followed by Eng in Srl. Go on, open those threads as well.

In my opinion, this thread will die in some time and you will have to revive it later. In such a scenario why open it at all ?

harrisb

International Coach
I agree with Sahil, i raised this point in the thread regarding this series. I do think that it is a long way off, think of what we've got before then.

The rest of the Ashes,
The World Cup,
and loads of other International tours.

I do think that some people make the threads so far in advance to try and be the first person to start talking about the series and so when the series actually gets played, their username will be on the first post of a thread that has got 1000 or something posts in it.

I might be wrong when I say this, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Sureshot

Executive member
I don't see any issue with it, we're here to discuss cricket (well cricket games, but lets not get in to that!) and if people want to talk about a series that is happening in 7 months then so be it, it's not off-topic, it's not exactly going to be brimming with discussion yet.

Complete non-issue imo.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I do think that some people make the threads so far in advance to try and be the first person to start talking about the series and so when the series actually gets played, their username will be on the first post of a thread that has got 1000 or something posts in it.

This.

CG123 added 1 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Most of the time people just create the thread so it's created, then it just dies until like a few weeks before the series, unless it's something like the Ashes.

I'm 90% sure that will happen with this series since it's created 7 months in advance.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Just reiterating my point:

"Indian Tour of England, July-September 2011" was opened up on the 19th Oct, and its last post was on the 4th Nov.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get anymore posts until the squads are named after the world cup next year.

The same will more than likely will happen with this tour, therefore it's not really a biggie if people want to open up a thread, and discuss it for a week or so.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I don't see any issue with it, we're here to discuss cricket (well cricket games, but lets not get in to that!) and if people want to talk about a series that is happening in 7 months then so be it, it's not off-topic, it's not exactly going to be brimming with discussion yet.

Complete non-issue imo.

As Nigel says market forces will decide. If there is no interest the thread will die.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
On this point, India has tours to South Africa and England before that. So should a thread about a series against West Indies atleast wait till those two are over?

Although I agree with the general point. Saves everyone the effort of having to open the thread in the future as well, and there will be barely any discussion till the series is about to start.

P

pcfan123

I'm of the belief that any official "series" thread should only be made by admins. THat would solve the problem in the first place.

Sureshot

Executive member
If you think there is a problem, forums are for discussing, if someone wants to talk about something a year before the event, then let them. If it starts going off-topic, then we can do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread