Out of form umpires? Who monitors them?

sohummisra said:
I have a feeling that is more a case of the umpire making similar mistakes twice. As they say, two wrongs don't make a right.

Also, the footnote "Both allowed by umpire Francis" may suggest that Francis was bad enough to not catch it twice. :p
I wonder if I should go on a crusade against Francis since facing that 7th ball from Kumble got Anwar too tired to be able to finish his 200 ;)

It would be interesting to see what the laws actually state about these situations. Do they just say "Oh well, the ump made a mistake" or do they make up for it somehow (which I'm starting to doubt). As PD said, they probably do compensate for it ODIs because of the nature of the game.

As has been mentioned before, 7 ball overs happen ALL THE TIME.

Umpires haven't learnt to count? Boy, I would like to see their primary school teachers. :rolleyes:

It's really amazing the way bad umpiring can be justified in this day of technology.

If Hawkeye may not be perfect, but at least it's consistent in giving results, so third umpires should consider using it.

When every other sport uses technology to reduce error, why should cricket stay back in an earlier era?

harishankar said:
Umpires haven't learnt to count? Boy, I would like to see their primary school teachers. :rolleyes:

It's really amazing the way bad umpiring can be justified in this day of technology.

If Hawkeye may not be perfect, but at least it's consistent in giving results, so third umpires should consider using it.

When every other sport uses technology to reduce error, why should cricket stay back in an earlier era?

If you think you can do better go apply to become an umpire, lets see how many balls in an over you count, how many missed no balls, bad umpiring decisions you make.

Yes most sports use technology but how long are they played for? 6 hours? If you want games to go to midnight then by all means bring in technology.

harishankar said:
I find it amusing how you chose to ignore the rest of my post.
harishankar said:
They are? The biggest sport in the world (football) is even behind cricket in terms of using technology IIRC.

nightprowler10 said:
They are? The biggest sport in the world (football) is even behind cricket in terms of using technology IIRC.

Spot on ;)

About the only thing currently in cricket that I think could possibly be changed with technology is no balls. Not essential but if they can come up with something that works and doesn't detract from the game then I think it's worth looking at allowing the umpire to be fully focussed on the business end of the delivery.

There is no way hawkeye should be considered for LBWs, it is a guide for the viewer to see where the ball may have ended up. It is not perfect, and it takes a ball or two for them to get it ready.

You are always going to get some rough decisions, but it is up to the players on the park to play well, it is far easier to blame a decision then actually look at what allowed the team to be in a position for the decision to make all the difference.

puddleduck said:
There is no way hawkeye should be considered for LBWs, it is a guide for the viewer to see where the ball may have ended up. It is not perfect, and it takes a ball or two for them to get it ready.
I wouldn't mind seeing hawkeye being used to determine where the ball is pitched. But I agree with the rest.

It certainly isn't usual for umpires to balance out a seven ball over with a five ball over. But if you take 20 Test scorecards at random, you'd get good odds that at least one of them would contain either a seven ball or five ball over.

andrew_nixon said:
It certainly isn't usual for umpires to balance out a seven ball over with a five ball over. But if you take 20 Test scorecards at random, you'd get good odds that at least one of them would contain either a seven ball or five ball over.
So it was just a coincidence that there was a 7 ball over and a 5 ball over in the match I mentioned earlier? That'd make a decent quiz question to be honest. ;)

See, I don't often complain about umpiring (I really don't), but this series has seen some appalling umpiring. Statements like "why don't you become an umpire" don't make sense. That's not what I'm getting paid to do. Mistakes do happen, I admit, but the number of mistakes that has happened is way above average. Seriously, if you haven't seen enough of the coverage, then please don't comment on this. I'm not being rude, it's just that you have no idea how bad it's been!

And the mistakes are not confined to counting the number of balls in the over. In that case, what really annoyed me was that the umpire thought there was one ball to go, AND the scorer confirmed it. I mean, how often do the scorer and the umpire get it wrong in the same over.

There have been a lot more bad decisions as well. The first post pretty much sums it all up. I don't mind the odd decision where it could have gone either way, or when Hawkeye says it was hitting top of off, and umpire doesn't give it but this is ridiculous.

You guys complaining ain't going to change a thing though, you can say oh it's been extremely bad, worst ever but what's it going to do? Is the umpire going to be fired because you made a thread on PlanetCricket? The ICC will deal with it, if they believe the umpiring has been poor they will sack them, simple as that.

So what if it doesn't make a difference? Doesn't mean we can't talk about it! Planetcricket would be very boring otherwise. Why talk about the selection process then, who should play and who shouldn't? Duncan Flether obviously doesn't care about it :p. Just because no one's going to listen to us doesn't mean we can't discuss the issue amongst ourselves.

You guys complaining ain't going to change a thing though, you can say oh it's been extremely bad, worst ever but what's it going to do?
So, meaning that we don't discuss anything on this forum, since it won't change a thing?

I think the issue is very pertinent because counting balls shouldn't be an issue at all especially when there are no extras (no balls or wides) in the over. And yes, I can confidently say that if I were an umpire I wouldn't make such an elementary mistake... Prove me wrong.

How the hell do some people assume I wouldn't be a good umpire? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just a reminder that if you want to discuss anything that is going on in the current match, please do so in the appropriate thread, ie. not this one.

Perhaps (and I have thought about this for a long time) we are all missing the point here. The umpire has to make a split-second decision whilst dealing with world class batting and bowling. Part of the beauty of cricket for me has always been that slightly unpredictable element i.e. Warne won't miss that at first slip - he never does. Then he does. Three fielders won't stand in a circle for an outfield catch and then watch it drop, uncaught, in the middle of them yet I've seen it happen more than once. Billy Bowden would never give that not-out but does. We all know the old expression that "it's a funny old game" yet we discuss it endlessly when somebody makes a mistake!
It's the nature of the game, always has been and God or Allah forbid that it should ever change. The fact that we can now see endless replays from every conceivable angle has made us all bloody experts and if you don't know the definition of expert it is that x=the unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip under pressure! Strict training and protocols have eliminated favouritism but, yes, umpires can make mistakes and long may it be so. What you lose on the straights you make up in the curves.

andrew_nixon said:
Seven ball overs and five ball overs happen all the time. Something similar (and probably worse) was in the Asia Cup ODI between Bangladesh and Hong Kong in 2004 when Mohammed Rafique took the last Hong Kong wicket with the second ball of his eleventh over.
they dont' happen all the time, the two examples you gave are among the rare ones in international cricket.

When you have a square-leg umpire, a third umpire and so on, you can't allow that to happen.

At this standard, you have to be close to perfect. The India-SA test series were full of errors, though take away nothing from SA performance.

Its high time ICC does something about it.

You guys complaining ain't going to change a thing though, you can say oh it's been extremely bad, worst ever but what's it going to do? Is the umpire going to be fired because you made a thread on PlanetCricket? The ICC will deal with it, if they believe the umpiring has been poor they will sack them, simple as that.
right, but then there' no point on this whole Cricket Chat section. I wonder why we (everyone) create so many threads and discuss team's performance, when it has no value.

Users who are viewing this thread