Out of form umpires? Who monitors them?

cricket_lover said:
they dont' happen all the time, the two examples you gave are among the rare ones in international cricket.
I haven't given any examples of seven ball and five ball overs, but if you insist, here are the instances of mis-counted overs in the last 20 Tests/ODIs

Tests

Australia v England, 5th Test: Australia, 1st innings, 70th over, seven ball over by Monty Panesar
Pakistan v West Indies, 2nd Test: West Indies, 1st innings, 44th over, five ball over by Mohammed Hafeez
Sri Lanka v South Africa, 2nd Test: South Africa, 1st innings, 49th over, five ball over by MF Maharoof
England v Pakistan, 2nd Test: England, 1st innings, 82nd over, seven ball over by Danish Kaneria

ODIs

Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 5th ODI: Zimbabwe 42nd over, seven ball over by Mehrab Hossain Jr
Bermuda v Netherlands, tri-series 6th match: Netherlands 22nd and 24th over both seven ball overs
Bermuda v Netherlands, tri-series 3rd match: Netherlands 2nd over, seven ball over

How many did you notice?

andrew_nixon said:
I haven't given any examples of seven ball and five ball overs, but if you insist, here are the instances of mis-counted overs in the last 20 Tests/ODIs

Tests

Australia v England, 5th Test: Australia, 1st innings, 70th over, seven ball over by Monty Panesar
Pakistan v West Indies, 2nd Test: West Indies, 1st innings, 44th over, five ball over by Mohammed Hafeez
Sri Lanka v South Africa, 2nd Test: South Africa, 1st innings, 49th over, five ball over by MF Maharoof
England v Pakistan, 2nd Test: England, 1st innings, 82nd over, seven ball over by Danish Kaneria

ODIs

Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 5th ODI: Zimbabwe 42nd over, seven ball over by Mehrab Hossain Jr
Bermuda v Netherlands, tri-series 6th match: Netherlands 22nd and 24th over both seven ball overs
Bermuda v Netherlands, tri-series 3rd match: Netherlands 2nd over, seven ball over

How many did you notice?
it is more noticable because a wicket fell ata crucial moment so do you understand now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why even have this arguement, The frailties of Umpires are what turn and make games more exciting imo. I've played Cricket since I was 11 and I'm 16 now, I play County level and I must say some of the Umpires we have our appauling at our level and some of them at test level imo don't deserve to be there, But it adds a new dimension to the game, turning to computerised and just the 3rd umpire would be pathetic, There are hundreds of instances where batsmen have gloved balls and been gievn not out and I'm sure you haven't complain when it's your team. Just get over it, People make mistakes and it adds something good to the game.

No aimed at anyone particular, but just in general.

woodywiss sa sa said:
Why even have this arguement, The frailties of Umpires are what turn and make games more exciting imo. I've played Cricket since I was 11 and I'm 16 now, I play County level and I must say some of the Umpires we have our appauling at our level and some of them at test level imo don't deserve to be there, But it adds a new dimension to the game, turning to computerised and just the 3rd umpire would be pathetic, There are hundreds of instances where batsmen have gloved balls and been gievn not out and I'm sure you haven't complain when it's your team. Just get over it, People make mistakes and it adds something good to the game.

No aimed at anyone particular, but just in general.
True, but you can also understand the angst of a team that has performed poorly over the last few months, wins a test match in one of the harder tours in test cricket only to give up the advantage in the next game, due to poor performance; then coming up against the decider with some particularly bad umpiring.

Also, it's not like county cricket umpiring is on the same level as test cricket umpiring. The stakes are much, much higher in the latter. We need more umpires, as it seems the case of burnout is also evident in umpiring.

I agree with more Umpires purely for Umpires personal lives, most of them have Children/Gran Children and It's very difficult to part 'older' participants from their families.

I don't see the 'unpredictability' of umpires being a good thing. Why - get rid of the third umpire then? No! The players have their careers on line and are playing cricket to earn their bread. You can't have bad decisions that could potentially ruin their career.

What's wrong with using Hawkeye? Apparently it's accurate 95% of the time (at least), correct me if I'm wrong. That's better than human umpires. So why not use Hawkeye instead ?

Would take up time.
If you want the game that accurate then surley every ball someone plays and misses at shoulb be analyised. Cricket is very much a luck game as well and as technique game. If you take out a mjority of the luck I think the game would lose a lot of character.

Adarsh said:
I don't see the 'unpredictability' of umpires being a good thing. Why - get rid of the third umpire then? No! The players have their careers on line and are playing cricket to earn their bread. You can't have bad decisions that could potentially ruin their career.

What's wrong with using Hawkeye? Apparently it's accurate 95% of the time (at least), correct me if I'm wrong. That's better than human umpires. So why not use Hawkeye instead ?
Because it destroys the momentum of both sides and takes too long. Also, people would still be complaining 5% of the time. I think Hawkeye can be used as a guidance for the umpire, such as determining where the ball pitched and its height.

Yes. The umpire can miscount. However, I still cant forgive a mistake like this in a ground with a big screen. And if it was wrong on the big screen too (i.e. scorer screwed up) he should be fired. Thats his job. Afterall all he is paid for is to count.

Anyway, Rauf made another bad decision today. Jacques Kallis was clearly caught behind of Zaheer Khan early in his innings.

sohummisra said:
Because it destroys the momentum of both sides and takes too long. Also, people would still be complaining 5% of the time. I think Hawkeye can be used as a guidance for the umpire, such as determining where the ball pitched and its height.
What about this? http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/250359.html
I know the hand held technology is not ready yet, but I'm sure it will be out soon IF there's a demand for it.

cricket_lover said:
right, but then there' no point on this whole Cricket Chat section. I wonder why we (everyone) create so many threads and discuss team's performance, when it has no value.

Good point :)

On the hawkeye, it just wouldn't be cricket seeing an umpire pull of a handheld device to check if his call is right. God knows how many appeals we get but more often than not I suspect the umpire will pull out his handheld to see what the right decision is. They will become too reliant on it just like a lot of us have with the spellchecker/calculator. As I said before if the ICC are doing their job then they will sack any umpires that are making too many mistakes.

I wonder how many Indian fans would be posting in this thread if they had just won the series 2-1? As I said instead of moaning about umpires decisions why doesn't the team eliminate the risk by actually scoring a good 30-40 runs more, and the bowlers make up for it by keeping the ball in the right area.

If Australia had any luck go against them in the current series they made up for it by coming straight back at the English and created more chances, likewise if someone got a rough decision the next batsman came in and got a score.

puddleduck, if it had been 1 or 2 bad decisions, we would be more forgiving. As it was, there were far too many mistakes made. Did you see the matches by the way? Dravid given out twice in Durban when he was not out and the decisions against Tendulkar in this match?

harishankar said:
puddleduck, if it had been 1 or 2 bad decisions, we would be more forgiving. As it was, there were far too many mistakes made. Did you see the matches by the way? Dravid given out twice in Durban when he was not out and the decisions against Tendulkar in this match?

I saw bits and pieces and still think you are overeacting and trying to pin the blame elsewhere. I seriously hope (in honesty I am sure) that the Indian team doesn't have your attitude. If a team was like yourself constantly looking for excuses that don't incorporate their own performances then they wouldn't get very far in international cricket.

As it goes England also got some shockers in the current series, Strauss given out 3 times on the trot without actually touching the ball on two of them and on one the ball going miles over after Hoggard had a couple turned down earlier that were far more pitched up. Still I haven't complained because that is cricket, and on most of the occassions Strauss could have avoided being in those positions in the first place.

You asked if someone monitors the umpires and yes they do, but as is mentioned it is not the easiest job in the world when you've got 20,000 people watching, making noise, and the ball is travelling at upwards of 80mphs or spinning various degrees.

If an umpire is consistently bad he will be dropped from the panel, but they generally aren't. They have bad days and tests just like players do, but I don't see people asking for Dravid or Sachin to be sacked if they have a bad test.

Users who are viewing this thread