Oval Test result 'to be changed'

I don't think, it would be stupid if there were, but "we're" always blamed for tampering when we tour England.

the whole world is agains pakistan arnt they usy :rolleyes:

i dont see how the decision can be changed at all, they forfeited the game there for its an england win, it doesnt matter that they were correctly cleared of any wrong doing with the ball, they still sat in the dressing room when they should of been playing cricket, if the result is changed then i will becoming a little bit more frustrated with the ICC

i dont see how the decision can be changed at all, they forfeited the game there for its an england win, it doesnt matter that they were correctly cleared of any wrong doing with the ball, they still sat in the dressing room when they should of been playing cricket, if the result is changed then i will becoming a little bit more frustrated with the ICC

I think their plea was that they were ready to play after their little protest but Hair wouldn't let them (he had already called the game). Still, why whine about it now when it doesn't change anything, the series was still lost convincingly.

I think their plea was that they were ready to play after their little protest but Hair wouldn't let them (he had already called the game). Still, why whine about it now when it doesn't change anything, the series was still lost convincingly.

yeah that was the plan, but it wasnt that Hair wouldnt let them play, it was that the game was over, Hair just followed the rules and shouldnt take any stick for what he did, he did everything he should of done, yes he shouldnt have say they tampered with the ball, and he has done other acts which he probabley shouldnt have, but he followed the laws the to letter here and did nothing wrong in ending the test.
dont get me wrong here, i dont like Hair at all, but i dont think he can be accused of doing something like not letting them play, he was out in the middle, as were the england boys, it was all down to Pakistan

If there is anyone to blame, blame the chairman who was right there with the captain and the players, and didn't act in a professional way.

If we would have come out to play early, and after the match have ended, we could have got that umpire in big stuff, maybe he would have said sorry to our team instead of the arrogance which he is showing in recent interviews.

Why would somebody become an umpire when they can't even trust their own governing body to back them up in a situation such as this?

If there is anyone to blame, blame the chairman who was right there with the captain and the players, and didn't act in a professional way.

If we would have come out to play early, and after the match have ended, we could have got that umpire in big stuff, maybe he would have said sorry to our team instead of the arrogance which he is showing in recent interviews.

dont think so usy, hes an Aussie, he will always be arrogant :p

Makes me feel better though - but thats probably since I was at The Oval, Day 4, in Block 10, in Seat # uh...

I can't remember :p

lol i was there too. I remember a complete lack of information for the spectators. We had too amuse ourselves with making 30m long snakes out of plastic pint cups.

Back on topic. Its no secret that the 'asian bloc' has been opposed to englands stance on Zimbabwe, maybe England are giving a little to gain a lot?

Why would somebody become an umpire when they can't even trust their own governing body to back them up in a situation such as this?

because their head ain't made to function in the way a normal brain does, it's not ironic.

Farce, utter farce. I knew the ICC was incompetent but this takes it to a new level. If there is some deal that has been made then it says alot about cricket now.

Shambles.

The umpires called it based on experience and the condition of the ball having changed. We will never know if they were correct in their conclusions, not only because they were sole arbitors but because noone else was in a position to make that call. And by that I mean they were the ones monitoring the condition of the ball as the game progressed, noone can really make the same call based on looking at the final condition of the ball because they have no point of reference (2 overs, 5 overs, X overs previous..........)

So basically the call was made by the umpires, correct or otherwise. They applied the penalty, I get the feeling if any criticism could be made of Hair that he likes to use the full extent of the laws and if he THINKS anyone is cheating/breaching those laws, then he calls it. Just like with Murali etc etc. ICC prefers a softly, softly approach, like giving a kid another bat because he is going to bawl his eyes out when he is dismissed.

So the decision was made, the Pakistanis didn't like it and stayed in the dressing room. They should have made their protest after the match, plain and simple. You can't persuade me that 11+ grown men can't make a sensible decision between them, they made their choice and the umpires again applied the laws. Whether England think the result should be a draw or not is irrelevant, the correct penalty was applied and they forfeited.

And it is a shame the Asian bloc are acting as one more and more, I suspect a split will come and it may not be such a bad thing. Have two parallel championships and a play off for World Champions, reduces fixtures even though it will mean we don't get to play Pakistan, India etc. That will be a shame, as far as I'm aware most English don't like their attitudes and past misdemeanours, but still we regard them as valued opponents and take defeat as well as we take victory. Pakistan won the last series in Pakistan fair and square, despite Afridi's bit of unsporting pirouette on the pitch (can Pakistan really complain about being called cheats from time to time when there's evidence that they have in the past?) Sri Lanka won fair and square, don't hear calls of chucking winning that series and India won in this country without much doubt about that result either.

While English fans may find fault in the players, captaincy etc, that isn't saying the opposition didn't deserve to win, it's analysing our own performances and why we lost. As we are fans of England we focus on England, the good and the bad. And I'm sure England aren't squeaky clean when it comes to alleged cheating, Atherton's pathetic dirt in pocket incident is often brought up, but that's more embarrassing than cheating. I do find the aussie whinges about subs etc rather funny, the moving of the fielders during the bowlers delivery was bang out of order, but that's Vaughan trying to be a 'good' captain and being 'innovative'. It's a shame he isn't more POSITIVE, maybe we'd have won a Test in that aforementioned India series and the series would have been levelled (or better, who knows)

It's just ridiculous that they have changed this, the Pakistani's didn't come out to play because of the crying Inzamam and should be punished as a loss to them, shame on you ICC, shame on you!

Regardless of the ball tampering, the forfeiture was the correct decision. Inzamam is an idiot if he thinks that he's not at fault, and that Hair should be blamed. He followed the rules. If the ICC were even slightly competent, they'd back their umpires. The umpires' decision is final, that's what every decent sporting body across the world says, but not the ICC. Corruption continues...

The umpires' decision is final, that's what every decent sporting body across the world says, but not the ICC.
Umm.... no. There are plenty of sporting bodies that frequently overturn umpires' and referees' decisions when those decisions have been analyzed with more intelligence being applied. The NBA is an example.

It was a poor decision to make this decision now, when the issue had been dead and buried. And if they had to overturn the decision, I believe it would have been better to mark it as an unofficial Test match.

Users who are viewing this thread