Patch 2 - hugely positive, some minor negatives

adikal

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
[[Mods: feel free to move to another thread if there is one for Patch 3 suggestions]]

Overall, I am very impressed with Patch 2. It improves upon the critical issues with the earlier version such as fixing the superhuman fielding, the AI batting (harder to dismiss) and even the AI bowling and fielding changes during the game. In fact, the game in its current form after patch 2 is the closest simulation to cricket you will ever find and a really enjoyable game.

Hats off to BigAnt! You listened to all the feedback and followed up like no other game developer. :thumbs

Having said that, here are some issues that need fixing. None of these are major but would make the game near-perfect if addressed in the next patch.

1. AI Pacing -- The AI Batting still has pacing issues. For example, I played a T20 where the AI was 120/2 in 16 overs and finished up with 140/3. There was no aggression towards the end of the innings even though they had wickets in hand. In particular, there were very few lofted shots and far too many defensive blocks given the match situation. This was on Veteran difficulty.

2. Ball speed -- The ball speed in the outfield needs to be fixed - it rushes to players in the outfield so quickly that the AI does not take a single. Again, this is unrealistic. It happens way too often and the AI misses out on so many easy singles that it leads to unnecessary collapses later on, when the situation becomes much harder for the AI.

Case in point -- I set a measly target of 95 in a T20 match. The AI started the chase well and batted sensibly, given that req RR was way less than 6. However, it had a mini-collapse and was at 45/4 in 10 overs. It continued to try and bat sensibly without risking aerial shots, which was a huge improvement from the previous version, but then could not take easy singles which it should have, due to the aforementioned problem. This led the asking RR to escalate and go way over 6, at which point the AI started taking risky aerial shots and had another collapse and was all out for 77. A real shame.

3. AI field placements -- the AI is still too aggressive in its field placings. It often would start a T20 match with 2 slips and a leg slip.

Anyway, thanks again BA for a fabulous job and a wonderful cricket game.

Last edited:
[[Mods: feel free to move to another thread if there is one for Patch 3 suggestions]]

Overall, I am very impressed with Patch 2. It improves upon the critical issues with the earlier version such as fixing the superhuman fielding, the AI batting (harder to dismiss) and even the AI bowling and fielding changes during the game. In fact, the game in its current form after patch 2 is the closest simulation to cricket you will ever find and a really enjoyable game.

Hats off to BigAnt! You listened to all the feedback and followed up like no other game developer. :thumbs

Having said that, here are some issues that need fixing. None of these are major but would make the game near-perfect if addressed in the next patch.

1. AI Pacing -- The AI Batting still has pacing issues. For example, I played a T20 where the AI was 120/2 in 16 overs and finished up with 140/3. There was no aggression towards the end of the innings even though they had wickets in hand. In particular, there were very few lofted shots and far too many defensive blocks given the match situation. This was on Veteran difficulty.

2. Ball speed -- The ball speed in the outfield needs to be fixed - it rushes to players in the outfield so quickly that the AI does not take a single. Again, this is unrealistic. It happens way too often and the AI misses out on so many easy singles that it leads to unnecessary collapses later on, when the situation becomes much harder for the AI.

Case in point -- I set a measly target of 95 in a T20 match. The AI started the chase well and batted sensibly, given that req RR was way less than 6. However, it had a mini-collapse and was at 45/4 in 10 overs. It continued to try and bat sensibly without risking aerial shots, which was a huge improvement from the previous version, but then could not take easy singles which it should have, due to the aforementioned problem. This led the asking RR to escalate and go way over 6, at which point the AI started taking risky aerial shots and had another collapse and was all out for 77. A real shame.

3. AI field placements -- the AI is still too aggressive in its field placings. It often would start a T20 match with 2 slips and a leg slip.

Anyway, thanks again BA for a fabulous job and a wonderful cricket game.

Similiar match too my County match earlier, it was 20 overs, they were chasing 79 needed with 3 overs left and had 6 wickets in hand but didnt bat to get the runs with super aggression.

I wouldnt agree about the field placings tho, I think those have improved hugely

Oh and I completely missed this other aspect -- why aren't there more standard charts and graphs for match statistics to look at during the game?

I didn't find the scoring bar chart (runs per over), or the worm (run rate with wickets shown). Can these be added in via the next update?

These are so fundamental, and I imagine fairly trivial to add compared to fixing some of the harder gameplay issues, that I was very surprised to see their omission.

Biggest thing I've noticed still with the field placings is an odd doubling up, like setting a mid-on and then having a long-on as well. Occasionally the AI does this twice, so they end up with two wasted fielders.

Nice if you want gaps to score but it should be patched out if possible :D

This may be the right thread to provide my feedback regarding enhancements needed post patch 2...

I played a few short format offline games (T20s & odis) on PS3 after applying patch 2 and here are the issues/concerns or areas of improvement...

1. Load times have increased and it takes longer to start the match.

2. The game stuttering/shuddering has increased with occasional frame-rate/frame skipping issues. The game was smoother to play pre-patch 2.

3. Pull/hook and cut shots invariably go in the air. IMO pull and cut shots were nailed pretty well prior to the 2nd patch and should be reverted. Now you can't play a short ball to the leg if "Square Leg" or "Forward Square Leg" is in place, which is the case most of the times. This would be my highest priority to fix as it impacts gameplay directly.

4. Though AI fields don't violate any field restriction or rules of the game, they are still too aggressive with 2-3 slips in odis and T20s. Definitely scope of improvement in this area.

Edit: 5. Add the timing and footwork feedback as optional in the actual matches you play in the game, something which has been added in 'Match Practice'. I still edge the ball quite a lot and not able to figure out whether I was early or late.

If I've to focus on one key item, it would have to be no. 3 with respect to hook/pull & cut shots, followed by items 4, 5, 2 and 1 respectively.

Last edited:
I think overall the patch has been great. The issue with easy outs when bowling to the AI has been largely fixed, as well as well as AI swiping the stumps almost every time they are nearby - both things I found annoying. I think the best thing is the superhuman fielders having been fixed. They no longer dive for 10 meters at the last second and still make catches. A BIG thumbs up for that!

A couple of niggles still remain though.

• AI fielders seem to stand there sometimes, waiting for the ball to reach them, rather than actively trying to field the ball
  • Whilst the reduction in cutscenes has improved the flow of the game, I have noticed that there never seem to be the behind the bowler/behind the batsman replays any more (except the latter when the batsman is bowled). I'm all for the game flowing better, but it would be nice to see those replays occasionally still.

Last edited:
This may be the right thread to provide my feedback regarding enhancements needed post patch 2...

I played a few short format offline games (T20s & odis) on PS3 after applying patch 2 and here are the issues/concerns or areas of improvement...

1. Load times have increased and it takes longer to start the match.

2. The game stuttering/shuddering has increased with occasional frame-rate/frame skipping issues. The game was smoother to play pre-patch 2.

3. Pull/hook and cut shots invariably go in the air. IMO pull and cut shots were nailed pretty well prior to the 2nd patch and should be reverted. Now you can't play a short ball to the leg if "Square Leg" or "Forward Square Leg" is in place, which is the case most of the times. This would be my highest priority to fix as it impacts gameplay directly.

4. Though AI fields don't violate any field restriction or rules of the game, they are still too aggressive with 2-3 slips in odis and T20s. Definitely scope of improvement in this area.

If I've to focus on one key item, it would have to be no. 3 with respect to hook/pull & cut shots, followed by items 4, 2 and 1 respectively.

On the PS3, I haven't found the load times to be significantly different.

The stuttering frame rate when running is ugly, but I can live with it because it doesn't impact on game play.

Most of my pull shots are going through midwicket, now, so I'm not having trouble with that. I won't play a cut with a point in, though. And yes, they are more aerial than they were before (although before I thought both the cut and pull shots were too safe, I don't think I ever got out playing either stroke)

And I agree with the AI field setting comment. It's something I really notice when bowling in my career - I'm a right arm off spinner, I should almost never be operating without mid-on/long-on and mid-off/long-off in ...

Last edited:
On the PS3, I haven't found the load times to be significantly different.

The stuttering frame rate when running is ugly, but I can live with it because it doesn't impact on game play.

Most of my pull shots are going through midwicket, now, so I'm not having trouble with that. I won't play a cut with a point in, though. And yes, they are more aerial than they were before (although before I thought both the cut and pull shots were too safe, I don't think I ever got out playing either stroke)

And I agree with the AI field setting comment. It's something I really notice when bowling in my career - I'm a right off off spinner, I should almost never be operating without mid-on/long-on and mid-off/long-off in ...

Can't say I really noticed any major issues with frame rate on PS3, but then I haven't played on PS3 since I got the PC version. Maybe my perspective will change if I give the PS3 version a go now that I have experienced the PC version.

I agree with the comments here - the game has benefited significantly with the new patch. I would suggest in patch 3 that some of the remaining 'issues' are looked at along with a few additional improvements:

Replays - Good to see the replay has improved when a player is bowled. However I never see any replays after an LBW shout (would be cool to see a brief DRS scene with the hawkeye outcome or any knicks). I also find it a bit weird that a replay always occurs when the ball is hit back to the bowler (drop catch or bump ball) but not on some shots (ie. which don't make the boundary).

Player information - It would be great to see some simple information when choosing the line up for a game. All I currently see is a player name but would be good to see a batting rating (1-5) and a bowling rating (1-5) as well. (eg. how FIFA has an 'overall' rating for each player so you can pick the 'best' team).

Spinners - In my opinion, I don't think spinners really turn the ball that much even on a spin friendly wicket. I mean the 'flight+drift' ball turns and drifts hugely but then the stock off/leg break don't really tend to turn that much. Would it be more realistic in slightly increase the amount of turn a player can get?

Just some ideas I suppose.

Spinners - In my opinion, I don't think spinners really turn the ball that much even on a spin friendly wicket. I mean the 'flight+drift' ball turns and drifts hugely but then the stock off/leg break don't really tend to turn that much. Would it be more realistic in slightly increase the amount of turn a player can get?

Just some ideas I suppose.

I dunno really. As an aspiring leg-spinner in my youth, I can certainly attest to the fact that not every ball turns, but again that is a question of skill too. But even the very best spinners will bowl many balls that just do not turn. It's a collision of many different elements that just fall into place to let you have your day with the ball.

I have a number of theories, which would allign with real life too. You have to find that area of the pitch that is roughed up enough to influence turn, so trial and error and using the angle of delivery helps. Of course what does not help is your captain putting you in after 5 overs when the ball is still new and the pitch is still relatively fresh. The ball will just skid off the surface.

Another thing is in-game timing. You need to turn the left stick in the direction of your main delivey's turn 3 full timesto max out the spin meter. Time it too early, and the meter starts to drop. Do it too late, and you dont get the 3 full turns in. Really as a fresh career player, you need consider about 1400rpm or so to provide the potential for real turn.

These are just my observations though. I could be completely wrong however, but I do get balls that turn a good 30 degrees. Its very intensive. Unlike pace, where your main focus is the jump timing, with spin your main focus is trying to get the ball to behave as you want 100% for each and every ball bowled.

Agree with the comment above on Replays.

In fact, can there be a setting for amount/frequency of Replays (low, medium, high), sort of like there is in International Cricket Captain? Or maybe there can be an option to toggle certain players on/off for replays -- mistimed shots, when the player is beaten, LBW shouts etc. The point is that different users will have their own preferences for what they'd like to see in the replays. I preferred seeing more replays, as was the case before Patch 2.

Agree with the comment above on Replays.

In fact, can there be a setting for amount/frequency of Replays (low, medium, high), sort of like there is in International Cricket Captain? Or maybe there can be an option to toggle certain players on/off for replays -- mistimed shots, when the player is beaten, LBW shouts etc. The point is that different users will have their own preferences for what they'd like to see in the replays. I preferred seeing more replays, as was the case before Patch 2.

I would definitely like the option to be able to set the replays to be as they were prior the the patch. Perhaps even a slider to customise them so that they work for each person's preference. At the moment it just feels like functionality has been stripped from the game needlessly.

After playing some more, I see that the following issues that were improved in Patch 2 still need fixing:

- caught and bowled -- still happening far too often. As someone mentioned in another thread, the main issue seems to be that the bowler needs to follow through on his delivery action which would take him off being directly in front of the batsman's straight drive. I see the AI doing 2 C&B's per T20 match which is simply unrealistic.

- direct hits from the outfield -- happens twice per T20 for me, which often results in a run out :(

IMO the patch has made all the positive changes except a few things that I've noticed.
I've started to edge a lot more.
The timing for cover drive has totally gone. Ball rushes till 30yard circle and suddenly slows down. Can have not more than 2. While earlier I used to have a four. This has been experienced in cover drive, on drive, straight drive.
While the leg glance and all are fine.

Pls confirm if anybody also experiencing the same..

IMO the patch has made all the positive changes except a few things that I've noticed.
I've started to edge a lot more.
The timing for cover drive has totally gone. Ball rushes till 30yard circle and suddenly slows down. Can have not more than 2. While earlier I used to have a four. This has been experienced in cover drive, on drive, straight drive.
While the leg glance and all are fine.

Pls confirm if anybody also experiencing the same..

Are you saying edging more is not a positive? Surely more edges is better?

Users who are viewing this thread