PC shuts down automatically

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Nowadays my PC is shutting down automatically and without notice. It is happening from last few days I am working and suddenly my monitor light goes orange(frm green) the mouse scroll wheel light turns off. I've attached my temps:
90rdhw.jpg

Another problem is that sometimes when I boot the PC I get a message that "CMOS settings wrong press F1 to enter setup" I then enter the bios and restore the defaults(Mind you I don't alter the settings in bios it does on its own I suppose :p) then PC boots normally.

Help me plz :(

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I've had problems with Gigabyte motherboards when the CMOS battery needs replacing, they don't seem to want to startup sometime, but I've never had them shutdown. In any case you probably need to change the battery on the board to get rid of the CMOS error. It's probably a CR2032 battery, you should be able to pick these up from any electrical/computer/camera shop and they are pretty cheap and worth a try.

Your voltages look at little low, could be why the PC is suddenly shutting down, might be worth trying another PC powersupply, but it could be a problem with the motherboard which could also explain the CMOS errors. You could also try removing any USB devices you don't need and see if it helps.

Doubt it's heat related and doubt its anything to do with operating system. Does it restart or just go off?

omkarjere

International Cricketer
What OS you running ?

I've had problems with Gigabyte motherboards when the CMOS battery needs replacing, they don't seem to want to startup sometime, but I've never had them shutdown. In any case you probably need to change the battery on the board to get rid of the CMOS error. It's probably a CR2032 battery, you should be able to pick these up from any electrical/computer/camera shop and they are pretty cheap and worth a try.

Your voltages look at little low, could be why the PC is suddenly shutting down, might be worth trying another PC powersupply, but it could be a problem with the motherboard which could also explain the CMOS errors. You could also try removing any USB devices you don't need and see if it helps.

Doubt it's heat related and doubt its anything to do with operating system. Does it restart or just go off?

Using Xp Sp3

I'll try replacing CMOS battery. I am tooo dumb to play with voltages. BTW can it be a faulty memory ?

PC shuts off directly no windows shutdown screen or anything

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Only two culprits, CMOS battery or power supply.

Gigabyte makes some of the worst Motherboards I have seen. I had Gigabyte motherboard and its CMOS battery also gave problems. The computer used to just hang and do nothing then. It used to hang so much that my hard disk gave way and I lost my whole project of MCA. :mad:

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Only two culprits, CMOS battery or power supply.

Gigabyte makes some of the worst Motherboards I have seen. I had Gigabyte motherboard and its CMOS battery also gave problems. The computer used to just hang and do nothing then. It used to hang so much that my hard disk gave way and I lost my whole project of MCA. :mad:
My motherboard manufacturer is worse then Gigabyte :laugh

Guess who :sarcasm Mercury ofcourse :p

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Are these idle or load temps?

If they are idle / low usage temps [Basically meaning there was no intense activity going on] then those temperatures are a tad TOO high.

When the processor under load would cross the threshold value, it throttles and the computer is automatically shut down, immediately to prevent processor damage. I'm 90% positive that this is the case here.

To reduce the heat, give the heatsink a clean, if you have a blower. Or if not, then use a toothbrush and work the dust out of its fins. Then resit the heat sink properly - it is also a culprit of CPU's heating to abnormally high temperatures.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Are these idle or load temps?

If they are idle / low usage temps [Basically meaning there was no intense activity going on] then those temperatures are a tad TOO high.

When the processor under load would cross the threshold value, it throttles and the computer is automatically shut down, immediately to prevent processor damage. I'm 90% positive that this is the case here.

To reduce the heat, give the heatsink a clean, if you have a blower. Or if not, then use a toothbrush and work the dust out of its fins. Then resit the heat sink properly - it is also a culprit of CPU's heating to abnormally high temperatures.

How do you mean 'a blower'? Surely you don't mean a hairdryer?

omkarjere

International Cricketer
All wrong a faulty UPS was the problem :doh :p

Running it on direct power and now its running good :)

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
If you cannot spot faulty UPS don't blame us :p

ackleydawson

School Cricketer
Hi..
I read your post and the information which you share i think there are virus problem regarding your System so you just try to get good anti virus so it may help to solve the problem...Thanks for sharing the information,,,

Users who are viewing this thread