PC Simulator Commentary Thread

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
Xuzuno's last line would probably fit in 3 runs, because usually excellent fielding on the boundary is diving, and then pushing back the ball, and in that time, 3 runs are usually taken.

Not to say that it can only apply to 3 runs, but generally when a commentator says that I feel (and usually) 3 runs have been scored.

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Depends how hard the ball has been hit and how fast the batsmen are though. I think I'll include it in 3 and 2 runs until he replies.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Sixes
SIX! (BAT) charges down the track and wallops that waay over long on! Great shot!

Short pitched, (BAT) goes for the pull - A top edge and it's gone over the keepers head for a...SIX!

SIX! Oh what a shot! Ball delivered full and straight, (BAT) gracefully goes inside out and easily clears the ropes for six more.

Cricketman added 2 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Bowled

Out! Bowled 'em! A beautiful inswinger from (BWL) rips through the defense of the batsman to knock down leg stump! Brilliant!

Gone! What a ripper! A Googly from (BWL), the batsman didn't pick it and left it alone, coming back in and hitting off stump!

Cricketman added 5 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Run out

Struck hard from (BAT), and beautifully stopped! There's a mix up, (FLD) fires in the throw, and HITS! The umpire has no question and the finger goes up, what terrific fielding!

Caught behind

Gone! The ball pitched short, deviation back in to the batsman, gets an inside edge, and (WK) dives to his left to pull of a fantastic one handed catch!

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Six
Wow that's huge. It's into nextdoor's garden. Mister, can we have our ball back?
(Bat) has struck that one well, but there is a fielder under it. He jumps backwards but can only push it over the rope. Maybe he should have been a goalie?!

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Single
He's hit that very well... but a fielder gets to it and safes the boundary!
A nice clean shot into the space there; one run.
A flick off the pads results in just the single there.

Four runs
He's hit that incredibly sweet... and it's fallen just short of the boundary. Unlucky for (bat).
I don't think he knew much about that. He just raised the bat and it's gone flying over the slip area for four runs.

wolf

International Cricketer
I assume there is going to be dot balls in this new simulator. In which case we might need some lines for that too. Also some for extras (leg byes, byes, no-balls and wides).

Abhas

Retired Administrator
No balls need special emphasis, with the free hit rule coming in.
Get your thinking hats on, and start composing some lines :D

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
6:
6! Who needs (bat) when you have Bradman. :p

But seriously...
4:
4! (bat) took a step back and pulled it for a boundary.
A brilliant cover drive that beats the fielder. 4 for (bat).
A risky shot that pays off for (bat). 4 runs for him.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
No-ball/Free Hit

(No ball) Oh (BWL) has over stepped there, he'll rue that surely, because it's a free hit!
(Free Hit) He's gone for it - he knows he can't get out caught or bowled - middled it nicely, and it's gone away one bounce for a boundary.

Another Free Hit thing we could have is the first part of the Free Hit line - "Here it is, the free hit, watch out in the crowd!" ect, followed up by an original run line (Like the four or six or other ones that have been posted above) but if he gets out then we'll have to make a different line ("He's bowled em!! But, he's still there") ect

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Info
I want the commentary to be as contextually-sensitive as possible. So this means we need lots of little categories. My list below attempts to demonstrate this.

There will also be a lot of replacements available. (batruns) will tell you the number of runs the facing batsman has made, for example. Almost any stat you want will be available. For example, (batsr) for the innings strikerate or (bat_stats_testave). The full list will be available when we design the simulator, but for now you can just use English to describe exactly what stat you want (or use something common-sensish like the one above).

Some Lines
(0 - attacking)
(bat) tried to smash that through (fldPos) but all he could manage was to displace air particles.
A dot ball as (bat) fails to make contact, attempting a dangerous uppercut.
He's walked across the stumps trying to paddle that down to fine leg but (bwl) saw him coming.
If (bat) had made contact, that would have been out of the ground!
(bat) called for the run but (otherBat) turned him down.
The attempted reverse-sweep goes all wrong... (bat)'s no Kevin Pietersen.
That was a ripper of a delivery from (bwl) -- (bat) wasn't anywhere near it even though he tried to hit it.

(0 - defensive)
(bat) was solidly behind that and blocked it down the ground.
(bat) respects that delivery from (bwl) and sways out of the way.
This batsman certainly knows where his off-stump is... that ball went just over it!
Down the leg-side and (bat) didn't offer a shot but the umpire isn't interested.
That ball barely missed his nose! (bat) wanted none of that ball.
(bat) ducks against a rip-snorting bouncer!
(bat) stands tall and knocks that back to the bowler off the back-foot.

(1 - Misc)
Glanced away down to fine leg for a single.
There were 2 runs in that but poor communication results in just one run.
Great job by (fld) there to hold the batsmen to one run.
Great wristwork from (bat) to drop it and take the quick single.
(fld) is quick but (bat) was quicker--completing what seemed like a tight single pretty easily.
That is one of his (bat)'s favourite shots in the book--opening the face for the single down to third man.
(bat) has just run that down to third-man for one.
An imperious straight-drive from (bat) but he only manages one run as the ball ricocheted off the umpire!
(bat) hit that very hard but did not time it at all. Just one.

(2)
(bat) placed that beautifully in between the two fielders and picks up two.
The sweeper runs around to cover that, but (bat) manages to run two.
The running between the wickets has been iffy today--only two when it clearly should have been three.
Inside edge down to fine leg but a great dive from (fld) saves the boundary.

(4)
This is a big ground so the batsmen manage to run four.
An all-run boundary here for (bat).

(5)
Poor keeping! That ball hits the helmet and there's five runs for the batsman.
Overthrows! What should been a single results in 5 because of poor backing up by (fld).

(milestone-50-fast)
This has been a blistering knock from (bat). A quick (batruns) from (batballs)!
It has taken (bat) only (batballs) to get to his fifty! Let's see if he can keep going.
(batfours) fours and (batsixes) sixes in that half-century from (bat).
Everyone on their feet for that knock. It's been a great 50 from (bat).

(milestone-50-normal)
Nice little knock from (bat). He needs to stay in and make the bowlers keep paying, though.
A pleasant half-century by (bat). He's scored (batruns) off (batballs).

(milestone-50-slow)
(bat) limps across the finishing line for that half-century.
The crowd does not appreciate that knock from (bat) too much. In fact, it's a surprise they're still awake.

Xuzuno

Club Cricketer
Depends how hard the ball has been hit and how fast the batsmen are though. I think I'll include it in 3 and 2 runs until he replies.

I was thinking of two things:

Three runs, just cut off by the fielder before it hit the rope.
The batsman hit a hard shot, but the fielder in the infield dives to stop the ball going further, therefore preventing the boundary for a dot ball.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
1 run
(bat) slaps that off his pads for a cheeky single.
(bowl) was a bit straight there, (bat) works it to fine leg for a casual run

Bowled
That'll teach him a lesson, protect your middle stump or you won't last long, and you might end up with a fair few kids.

Chances/Unsuccessful Appeals
I know we are supposed to be commentators rather than conspiracy theorists, but (bat) has paid someone something. That was plumb

Dropped Catches
(fld) has ignored common cricket conventions of trying to catch the ball and has chosen to let it hit the ground. We'll see how that one pans out.
Keep it coming, would be good to have some humorous ones as well as serious.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
No Run
Woah, that's huge! Absolutely massive. I'm talking about that woman sitting in Bay 3. Just look at her eat that donut. Oh yes, and there was no run.

Six
How can you do that? Why would you do that? That guy sacrificed man's best friend a beer to take that catch, it's just no good enough. Pathetic from you sir, you should be ashamed.

Last edited:

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Erm yeah I'd like one litre of blue paint please. Yes ladies and Gentlemen, anything's more entertaining than that delivery. No runs.

Users who are viewing this thread