PlanetCricket Sports Personality of the Year 2008

Who should win the PlanetCricket Sports Personality of the Year 2008 award?

• Michael Phelps (Swimming)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Lewis Hamilton (Motorsport - Formula One)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Shivnarine Chanderpaul (Cricket)

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
With the BBC's awards ceremony this Sunday, the PlanetCricket Sports Personality of the Year returns. Once again, PlanetCricket members can have their say and maybe challenge the results of the BBC award.

As last year, the contenders can be from any country in the world (unlike the BBC's award, whose winner must be from the UK).

Members can nominate sportspeople for the award by posting in this thread until Monday December 15th 2008. To make the preliminary list, a sportsperson must be seconded by another member.

From this date, if there are more than 10 contenders, there will be a poll to eliminate sportspeople from the cut to 10.

When there are 10 or less, there will be a direct poll for who you think should win the award. Obviously, the person with the most votes will be crowned the PlanetCricket Sports Personality of the Year 2008!

If there is a tie in the voting at the end of this poll, a Face Off will take place - a final poll consisting of just those who tied.

Start nominating now! Remember:

1. The sportsperson can be from any country and play any sport.
2. A sportsperson must be nominated by two different members to qualify for the preliminary list.
3. You have until Monday December 15th 2008 to nominate (short time in order to complete award before New Year).

Last year, the inaugural PlanetCricket Sports Personality of the Year matched the BBC's, with Welsh boxer Joe Calzaghe taking the accolade in a Face Off with Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Nominess suggested ONCE

Manny Pacquiao (Boxing)
Fernando Torres (Soccer)
Kevin Garnett (Basketball)
Steven Gerrard (Soccer)
Carlos Sastre (Cycling)

Nominees QUALIFIED for the preliminary list

Rafael Nadal (Tennis)
Sir Alex Ferguson (Soccer)
Michael Phelps (Olympic Swimming)
Usain Bolt (Olympic Sprinting)
Lewis Hamilton (Motorsport - Formula One)
Andy Murray (Tennis)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Soccer)
Daniel Vettori (Cricket)
Joe Calzaghe (Boxing)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul (Cricket)

Nominees DISQUALIFIED due to dispute over worth

Joey Barton (Soccer)
Emmanuel Eboue (Soccer)
Graeme Swann (Cricket)
John Terry (Soccer)

Last edited:
Manny Pacquiao.
He should probably win. Then Ronaldo/Nadal. Is Fergie eligible? He isn't exactly a sportsman but he is quite amazing.

Joey Barton is disqualified - please don't give joke nominations. The guy hasn't exactly had a glittering 2008, doing time in prison.

Sir Alex Ferguson I've decided to allow. He is involved in sport and his achievements can't be disputed. In 2008 he led Manchester United to Premier League and Champions League triumph so I see no reason why he shouldn't be there.

Yep, I'll second Sir Alex Ferguson.

Can I vote for 2? Because if I can I want to second Phelps as well. Otherwise just Sir Alex Ferguson.

Last edited:
I think it's completely racist how Joey Barton isn't allowed in it.

So I vote Joey Barton instead.

Users who are viewing this thread