Planetcricket's Greatest Test XI

RoboRocks said:
Not sure one is required.
You just pick in your opinion who are the top six opening batsmen of all time are.
I thought it might be better if say people could only pick openers with an average of over 45 and more than 2000 runs. Anyhoo...

Sunil Gavaskar, Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Saeed Anwar, Herbert Sutcliffe, Matthew Hayden.

To my thinking:

1.Mark Waugh
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Viv Richards
4.Steve Waugh
5.Brian Lara
6.Jacques Kallis

Don't think its would be needed.
Victor Trumper has an average of 39 and is regarded as one of the on legends of cricket in Austrlalia.
Barry Richards also couldn't qualify with run requirement becuase he only played 7 tests.

Siddhesh mate were doing opening batsmen.

Was Barry Richards an opener? I've always had him at 3 in my greatest test XI, was that a bit of a gaff?

Poll removed as per request. :)

RoboRocks said:
Don't think its would be needed.
Victor Trumper has an average of 39 and is regarded as one of the on legends of cricket in Austrlalia.
Barry Richards also couldn't qualify with run requirement becuase he only played 7 tests.
Well that was just an example. But yeah, it wouldn't work too well across different eras. Might work if you were to do XI's for separate eras.

FreddieFan said:
Was Barry Richards an opener? I've always had him at 3 in my greatest test XI, was that a bit of a gaff?
Not sure why you would have him at 3, he had always opened.

FreddieFan said:

He averaged 70 in 7 tests opening the batting scored a hundred before lunch once too. :clap

Cheers Nightprowler :)

Well I would like to have an XI containing the all time greats that would be great in any era

Last edited:
RoboRocks said:
Well I would like to have an XI containing the all time greats that would be great in any era
Certainly. Though it'd be interesting if we picked an XI based on eras. We did something like that on another forum and it was a lot of fun. :)

RoboRocks said:
He averaged 70 in 7 tests opening the batting scored a hundred before lunch once too. :clap
Well then you can compare First-Class records with the Barry Richards situation. He played first-class for basically his whole career and yet several of the other contendors and yet still those who played around 70-100 Tests still have better or closer averages to him. I think that should count somewhere.

Anyways, I'll have Barry Richards done as my 6th option.

I'd have Hobbs & Hayden opening the batting in my XI. Although I can see Hayden getting discounted somewhere down the line as his from the modern era so people just assume that there 'must' of been better. Then again, he probably doesn't look as flashy because of the players around him.

FreddieFan said:
:eek: Where's Don Bradman bat then?

Jack Hobbs and Sunil Gavaskar would be my choices as openers.Moreover,her's my alltime XI(consisting of players who'll get my vote at respective position in the order):

Sunil Gavaskar
Jack Hobs
Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Andy Flower(wicket keeper)
Viv Richards
Imran Khan(allrounder & captain)
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan

wfdu_ben91 said:
I've seen many people put Bradman in at 4. I suppose the argument is that he'd be good enough to keep his average in almost any position.

Shoaib87 said:
Jack Hobbs and Sunil Gavaskar would be my choices as openers.Moreover,her's my alltime XI(consisting of players who'll get my vote at respective position in the order):

Sunil Gavaskar
Jack Hobs
Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Andy Flower(wicket keeper)
Viv Richards
Imran Khan(allrounder & captain)
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
He's asked for people to list their top 6 choices for openers, not list your all time XI.

RoboRocks said:
I'll think about doing it later but for I'm gonna concentrate on a greatest XI.
Not saying you should. Was just making an observation.

wfdu_ben91 said:

Ah, my mistake, hit the wrong key. I have Bradman at 3 and Richards at 4.

Curse them for putting 3 and 4 next to each other on a keyboard :p

Hutton, Hayden, Hobbs, Gavaskar, Boycott, Sutcliffe (Not Ian ;))

Those are my openers.

RoboRocks said:
Is there still anyone out there to vote.
We only have two nomanies.
Its nominees btw. ;)

Len Hutton and Sunil Gavaskar are good choices, though I'd rather have Sunny and Hobbs opening.

Users who are viewing this thread