Player of the Decade

True, but none greater than Sachin coming at 4. Aus only had MEW averaging 41 at 4 for 12 years, Martyn wasnt at 4 for very long- 3 or 4 years, SRW was great averaging 50 at 5, our no 6 rotated for years and years. India has had its no 3 and 4 in place since 1999, very consistent.

If you think Ponting plays aggressively then think how aggressive he could afford to be if had Sachin coming in after him!

Last edited:
True, but none greater than Sachin coming at 4. Aus only had MEW averaging 41 at 4, SRW was great averaging 50 at 5, our no 6 rotated for years and years. India has had its no 3 and 4 in place since 1999, very consistent.

If you think Ponting plays aggressively then think how aggressive he could afford to be if had Sachin coming in after him!

Ponting and Sachin are even. Don't start the "we got sachin" because "we have ponting".

Mark Waugh retired in 2002...

The 2004 series was epic, where Murali and Warne were head to head, both bowled amazingly. Warne was simply magnificent coming back into test cricket.

In my opinion Ponting, Dravid and Sachin as a batsman, and G McGrath, Kumble, Warne

Ponting and Sachin are even. Don't start the "we got sachin" because "we have ponting".

Mark Waugh retired in 2002...

My whole point is that India has had more than a good enough batting lineup for Dravid to play a little more aggressively. He is more than capable of doing it but just defends and defends like the pitch is a minefield. The SL knock recently was a welcome change to his style, he was so fluent.

As far as Ponting goes, he would have even more reason to apply the brakes to his scoring rate with the amount of collapses he's witnessed over the past 2 years.

He just has to pick the right ones, instead of smackin it straight to the fieldsman! Maybe he really didnt think any Pakistani was actually capable of taking a catch and thought he'd have some fun.

You have to play of what you are. If you are playing attacking and you are a defensive batsman and if it is not your day then you will most likely get out soon and vice versa.

Exactly. Dravid is by nature a defensive player, even if the score is at 1/300 he would still more often than not play within himself, not because he's holding the team together and NEEDS to be defensive. I feel Dravid fans dont need to give him the excuse that he always is forced to play like he does, its his choice and what he's comfortabe with. Ponting has been aggressive forever, at no 6 and no 3.

Exactly. Dravid is by nature a defensive player, even if the score is at 1/300 he would still more often than not play within himself, not because he's holding the team together and NEEDS to be defensive. I feel Dravid fans dont need to give him the excuse that he always is forced to play like he does, its his choice and what he's comfortabe with. Ponting has been aggressive forever, at no 6 and no 3.

It's not as if his defensiveness is detrimental to the team's cause so it's fine as far as I'm concerned. Besides, with openers like Sehwag and Gambhir and Yuvraj to come, does Dravid really need to be aggressive :p?

Nope sorry.

Ponting has a Test average of 58.38 this decade with 32 centuries.
Dravid has a Test average of 54.85 this decade with 22 centuries.

Ponting has a ODI average of 44.18 this decade with 23 centuries.
Dravid has a ODI average of 40.30 this decade with 5 centuries.

Complete ownage in the batting department.

He was our best batsman away from home. He was absolutely critical in our many series we played outside India and the subcontinent, which marked the turning point of Indian cricket as a whole in this generation.

There is a lot more to it than just averages and statistics, Tum Tum.

I'm a Dravid fan, dont get me wrong. His style of play suits the team's objective nicely. A guy like Lara really did hold his team together, not Dravid. Lara had useless batsmen before and after him for much of his career. I 100% agree that part of Lara's greatness was his ability to achieve big scores and win tests when his average team mates couldnt hold up their end, the same does not apply to Dravid, nor should it. Dravid is a great player and has played many test winning knocks.

My whole point is that India has had more than a good enough batting lineup for Dravid to play a little more aggressively. He is more than capable of doing it but just defends and defends like the pitch is a minefield. The SL knock recently was a welcome change to his style, he was so fluent.

Sounds as if you are basing his entire style off that one series in Australia. That was Dravid's ONLY real crash in form in his career. Maybe you should rewind a few years and check out the 03/04 series, specifically the Adelaide test ;).

Users who are viewing this thread