Playing Spinners

Mattic

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi, I've been having some significant difficulties playing spinners for some time now. I'm edging to keeper, lobbing it to mid on and mid off, getting bowled and generally just having a bad time. After trying to figure it out for myself, playing on the backfoot/frontfoot, trying to play it as late as possible, sweeping, aggressive ground shots and eventually even just blocking them out (that hasn't even worked, I just edge to keeper constantly) I'm turning to you guys for help.

Does anyone have any advice on playing spinners? Or have been suffering similar difficulties? This is a general advice thread on playing spinners in DBC 14.

In case its relevant, I play on Legend Difficulty and for the most part have been dealing with fast and medium pacers significantly better than I have spin bowlers (Daniel Vettori got 5 for 8 against me in an ODI, I was 1 for 60 odd when he came on :eek:)

It's exactly the opposite for me. I can play spinners quite well but struggle against quicks. I find the reaction time against the quicks a bit too small for my reflexes.

Against the spinners, I play cover-drives if the ball is on the off-side and on-drives, flicks on the leg side. I would suggest you play against a spinner in a practice match so that you know if you are playing too late or too early.

Yeah, agree with Pat.

Spin is much easier to play, the time to play quicks is so quick! Very realistic but tough in the game to choose which shot to play when you cant see the ball! You have to premiditate every shot or else you risk late timing every time.

Back to spin... I find blocking with the front foot and sweeping to the on side early on for 2s and 4s early on gets me in good form against spinners early. Play defense with a straight bat with the front foot forward and because you have time with the flight of the ball you can actually choose if you want to go front or back foot...

Mattic, wait for the ball to pitch before playing the shot.

Even for a full pitches delivery which is almost a yorker?

I have just learned to wait a lot longer then I use to. It makes timing easier
I believe that's what Big Ants were going for. Watch the ball and wait for it. Adds the whole realism

I'll play spin as late as I dare which usually results in an LBW/bowled, but playing it just before it pitches helps, don't be afraid to charge down the pitch either if you can.

I don't think I (or my career player) am quite good enough to really hit the spinners much yet, but any advice on blocking? I block everything front-foot, late and with as straight a bat as possible. This mostly seems ok apart from the yellow balls which tend to LBW me. But even the most innocuous county trundler terrifies me at the moment.

Should I be looking to change my LS alignment to the pitch of the ball a bit, or am I better off being completely straight?

I think playing fast bowlers is much tough compared to spin bowling esp wrt to time available to choose a shot.

The one way i recommend ( with patch#2) is get mostly on your front foot and then hit the ball according to where it pitches. With higher difficulty levels your bat timing and foot placement needs to be as perfect as possible

I tip is trie to play advance shot but ir need correct time if the timing is correct the ball wull reach up to 140 m for six

Should I be looking to change my LS alignment to the pitch of the ball a bit, or am I better off being completely straight?

This is very important when defending full deliveries. Ensure your feet are not straight all the time, but just slightly to the left of the area where the ball is about to be pitched (for a right handed batsman and vice-versa for left handed).

Spin bowling can be tricky too play, usually I find it harder than fast or medium bowlers.

The reverse sweep is a good shot, or playing a leg side shot, late. Personally I think a back foot defence works best when comes to defending.

Users who are viewing this thread