Ponting push to send cup minnows packing

Ponting_14

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
AUSTRALIAN captain Ricky Ponting has questioned the value of minnow nations at the World Cup and wonders if they provide any benefits for cricket's showpiece event.

The marquee tournament, which officially begins in the Caribbean at the weekend, consists of 16 teams after the International Cricket Council increased the qualifying berths from one to five.
This has meant the 10 Test-playing countries plus Kenya and qualifiers Bermuda, Canada, Ireland, the Netherlands and Scotland will take part.

Ponting has been an outspoken critic before of promoting these nations into the ICC's two major tournaments -- the Champions Trophy and the World Cup -- and again voiced his concerns on the verge of his fourth World Cup.

Link:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21331369-2882,00.html

I may be new here, but I think I'm entitled to an opinion. So the big boys play only each other and the others only play each other and the sport is completely segregated into 2 camps? The handful of elites, and all the rest. Maybe it's because I'm American that this sounds really bad. We're always big on Cindarella sports teams coming out of nowhere and causing headaches for the top dogs. Which is why we like to see more than the uppercrust have their shot.

No competitive interaction between the two classes of teams? The little guys do need big game experience to grow, I think.

I agree with the new guy. I'm not entirely shocked that Ponting has said this though, he only seems to care about number one.

When did Ponting say this? Surely not the day that Ireland almost upset a (near) full-strength South African team? I think I read this a few days back, but I would be pleased as punch if Australia had to fight to win one of their minnow matches. One shouldn't forget that Bangla were such pushovers but a few years back. Increased exposure against international opposition has also popularized the game--a very important factor in promoting the development of the game.

Kenya made it to the semifinals last year. Despite getting a couple of forfeits, they also played some good cricket. In a tournament such as the World Cup, you can be knocked out by losing a single game. An upset will surely occur this time around, I feel. :p

Disappointed to see someone back Michael Holding on this, the minnows are there because it's a WORLD CUP, if you don't like it then maybe you'd prefer the Champions Trophy to be played instead. The World Cup should allow countries of all abilities to participate in a competitive tournament against the world's best cricketing nations, and against a few of their own ability. I hope that one day the Cricket World Cup can be half as big as the Soccer World Cup, to have that many countries participating and actually making a game of it would be great. Look at teams like Australia and the Ukraine, who made it further than expected.

Perhaps Ponting should consider that if we only played the teams who had chances of winning in Soccer, Australia would not have made it. It's a World up, it's supposed to be different.

Ricky Ponting is so bl**dy arrogant over his comments regarding the the 10 wicket bruising win over USA? Has he already forgotten his country's 10 wicket bruising at the hands of the Kiwi's just last month? God this makes me cringe.

To be perfectly honest, the ability to be capable of almost producing an upset every now and then isn't remotely a definition of competitive. It's perfectly reasonable to question the relevance of teams that won't make it to the Super 8 stage, much less the finals.

The Fifa World Cup isn't a good comparison, because that's a sport where the score can hang on 30 seconds of play contrary to the rest of the match. In cricket, the equivalent two and a half minutes might get you a wicket or a couple of sixes if you're batting. You certainly can't win by hitting a few sixes and then blocking out the rest of the innings. Soccer is very punishing on mistakes; cricket much less so.

Personally, I like the symmetry of 16 teams and the ability to use the early matches as tour matches. However, I hold no unwarranted expectations for a magic upset.

Woudn't it be funny if Australia lost to a minnow team. I hope it happens. Stupid comment to make if it happens. Sometimes the Australian players and coaches say too much.

I think the minnows participating is a fantastic thing. Sure, they won't win it, but how else do some of these players get a taste of playing against the top 8 sides? These teams are improving and one day may be of an equal standard to any other side.

You have to give the minnows some time in the lime light and that's what the World Cup is for. After this they basically go back under their rocks bearly heard again by most fans.
2 games against minnows is a small price to pay to letting some of their players go up against the best.

i enjoy watching minnows play something different instead of always seeing the usual suspects how fast were their pace bowlers

I'm just saying what fans, players, or kids(potential fans and players) are going to get excited for the sport and help it grow, in their country and overall, if their national team will only ever be allowed to play in cricket's low-to-zero profile "have-not" division with no chance of advancement or parole. Didn't a few current test countries come from the primordial ooze that is the "minnow-class"?

zimbabwe bangladesh and sri lanka i think

pominoz said:
Ricky Ponting is so bl**dy arrogant over his comments regarding the the 10 wicket bruising win over USA? Has he already forgotten his country's 10 wicket bruising at the hands of the Kiwi's just last month? God this makes me cringe.
How is Ponting arrogant? Easily the best batsman in the world. He can say whatever he wants. By all rights, anyone who acts in the manner that you just did over Ponting's opinion then you are arrogant.

wfdu_ben91 said:
How is Ponting arrogant? Easily the best batsman in the world. He can say whatever he wants. By all rights, anyone who acts in the manner that you just did over Ponting's opinion then you are arrogant.
Being the best batsman in the world (a debatable point in itself) does not mean that you are exempt from being arrogant. Take Tendulkar, who has been statistically the best batsman in the world for many years--yet he is not an arrogant man; rather he is modest and humble, even.

Users who are viewing this thread