Ponting push to send cup minnows packing

wfdu_ben91 said:
Tendulkars "pressure" is a joke. Absolutely overrated and if Tendulkar goes into bat thinking that he is under pressure because if he doesn't score runs then India lose then he is the arrogant one.

Nice joke there :cool:

But in cricket, you can never never underestimate any team for any reason.. Ponting has done that which is definitely harsh on minnows. Everyone is putting their level best efforts and coming to play.. Becos, he is a successful batsmen or a successful player or greatest player you can't comment the teams which are learning a lots in a hurting way.

In my opinion, a player is said to be great when he treats his opponent to his level and then put a challenge with his level best and not by underestimating/overestimating the opponent whichever the team it may be. ;)

Yea i hope Ponting gets it up his a**
I have lost some respect for him for making comments like that, but neverless Australia still better win despite Ponting getting Ducks aginst every Minnow! dont worry Clarke will get 200's :cool:

Feelin Blue? said:
i want Ponting to get a duck against every minnow team we play :)
I quite like a Ponting-less Australian team, so I wouldn't wish them to lose against all minnows. Just one upset involving Australia and Ponting getting ducks against minnows would make me a happy man.

sohummisra said:
You're just speaking out of your pants now. Claiming that Tendulkar is not under the pressure of close to a billion people thinking that India's success rides on him is equivalent with claiming that water doesn't get you wet.

There's a reason I said tried and tested; I meant batsmen who have been playing for a while and have the statistics to back them up. Also, your point doesn't come across here as I do believe Ponting has more haters in the world than Hayden, Hussey, Pietersen, Sehwag, Gilchrist and Sangakkara combined. I, for one, do not dislike any of these players (except perhaps Hussey, but that's because I believe he is overhyped).

I guess that would be the next best thing if we cannot have an upset. ;)
How highly can you rate him, Tendulkar is a great batsman, yes, he was once the best in the world, but he is not even India's best at the moment, the fact is, Ricky Ponting CAN be arrogant, because he is that good, the whole Aussie team can be arrogant because they are good, people don't like it because they are good.

In the AFL I hated Essendon when they were good, hated Hawthorn and West Coast for beating Geelong in GFs, and being good, hate everyone who is better than us, human nature is often to hate success when you can't have it. Not everyone does it, but most do.

Ponting does face a lot of pressure, he is the captain and, honestly, whilst Australia has undeniable talent, there is not one batsman who we can really rely on to consistently perform like Ricky Ponting can. The next is Mike Hussey, but other than that, Michael Clarke is inconsistent, Andy Symonds is inconsistent, Haydos, Gilly, they're all on and off, and I feel that when Punter fails, often the whole batting lineup tends to fail too. Being a captain is a lot more important than being a star batsman, especially when you are both. When Ricky Ponting stands up, Australia follows.

he is a brilliant captain and is intitled to an opinion why is he coping it all when other people have made the same remarks

aus5892 said:
How highly can you rate him, Tendulkar is a great batsman, yes, he was once the best in the world, but he is not even India's best at the moment, the fact is, Ricky Ponting CAN be arrogant, because he is that good, the whole Aussie team can be arrogant because they are good, people don't like it because they are good.

In the AFL I hated Essendon when they were good, hated Hawthorn and West Coast for beating Geelong in GFs, and being good, hate everyone who is better than us, human nature is often to hate success when you can't have it. Not everyone does it, but most do.

Ponting does face a lot of pressure, he is the captain and, honestly, whilst Australia has undeniable talent, there is not one batsman who we can really rely on to consistently perform like Ricky Ponting can. The next is Mike Hussey, but other than that, Michael Clarke is inconsistent, Andy Symonds is inconsistent, Haydos, Gilly, they're all on and off, and I feel that when Punter fails, often the whole batting lineup tends to fail too. Being a captain is a lot more important than being a star batsman, especially when you are both. When Ricky Ponting stands up, Australia follows.
Adam Gilchrist is the best wicket keeper-batsman in the world playing for the best team in the world. Can you explain why it is that people don't hate him? You think maybe its because he doesn't exhibit arrogance?

As for the point about pressure, I don't think you're quite familiar with the Indian public and the media. There's no doubt that Ponting has pressure, but he doesn't have to deal with people burning his effigies or being blamed for every loss no matter how good/bad he plays. Sachin does.

Last edited:
captains front the media after every match without fail he is the voice of the team

Griffo said:
he is a brilliant captain and is intitled to an opinion why is he coping it all when other people have made the same remarks

Good but not brilliant. Why is he coping it all? The thread mentions him and not Richards, etc.

im saying in terms of media attention his remarks made more headway than anyone else who said it even though he wasnt the first to rag on the minnows

Because he's the Australian captain, he gets more press attention than many others who have expressed the same opinion.

but the people on this forum criticize him more than any other player no matter what subject

That's because he's more outspoken than many other players, and given he's the Aussie captain he gets alot of media attention and thus the more he says the more we are likely to know than other players.

everyone is saying that he is cocky when he is giving his opinion on what is best for world cricket

aus5892 said:

What ever the best team may be, manners and respect for others has been taught to all right from the school days :p

A person may be genius/highly educated in world but it doesn't mean that he shd criticise the ppl who are not upto his level which will make the character without education a waste. Similar thing applies to not only in cricket but in general as a human. :cool:

Griffo said:
everyone is saying that he is cocky when he is giving his opinion on what is best for world cricket

Very curious to know how its best for world cricket?

* A Team must know how to compete with a stronger team to gain more experience.

Take Bangladesh as an example, it grew step by step.. and its looking dangerous now.. it wud be no suprise if they become dominating one day too. If Ponting's comments apply here, they wud have stopped cricket and looked for a better profession long yrs back :p

Users who are viewing this thread