Premeditate FOOTWORK... Does it help or hinder?

Footwork?

• Total voters
Yep, sure is the way to go! I think someone said before "once you get used to it, you will never go back to those ugly coloured circles thrown at you" lol. Its true though, and from purely an aesthetics view it look a lot more like cricket on the telly (im a broadcast cam sucker, i cant change that no matter how hard i try)

@LittleBigPlanet I am playing as a fast bowling allrounder batting at No.5 in LEGEND mode....My first season is over with me Averaging 39(batting) Highest score(184) 13(bowling) in first class,25(batting) 15(bowling) in ODI,35(batting),10(bowling) in T20's..My advice is premeditate everything on the frontfoot...Initially if you are confident in cover drives go for it as the cover will be open when u comes to the crease..Otherwise Play everything on the leg-side till u get confidence..You should be careful of getting bowled around yours legs while playing leg side..Take leg and middle stump guard..Hold L2+R2 buttons for shots initially...Believe me I usually don't practice in nets,i don't defend balls..remember you can dismissed even while blocking..My strike rate is over 100 in all formats..If one advice which i can give you is, don't touch the L2 button even if there is big empty space in the ground, till you get confidence..For me i can easily score runs against fast,fast medium bowlers,medium fast bowlers..You have to be very quick against fast bowlers in the frontfoot,otherwise a banana yorker will send your stumps flying or getting u out LBW...Against spinners i prefer to be in frontfoot and play balls in the leg side till i get the confidence..I sweep the outside off balls if there is no square leg..I most of the time getting dismissed by spinners via getting out LBW or bowled around the stumps or C&B..
My biggest nemesis as a batsmen in this game is spin bowlers especially saeed ajmal,botha to name a few...I am trying to play them as late as possible and somewhat getting success in it...I will use my backfoot once my confidence bar reaches full,after that i play in the third man,backward square point if those places are vacant..I Am playing with INVERTED controls with far batsman camera...
So my final advice for any beginner in this game till he master is ''premeditate everything on the frontfoot on the legside till you get confidence"..Replies are welcome

Thanks for the suggestion @Rajesh1990 , although i feels its a bit gamey for my liking and i tend to agree with @Believe that it would become tedious and boring, i really like trying to play the technically correct shot according to the delivery... the reason i premeditate my footwork in the first place is because i want more time to focus on the line of the ball, and play the correct line

@Believe Who said I used to leg glance all the time?..I straight away play in the covers(most of the time it will be vacant when i am new to the crease)..I Play all the shots in the book mate..I even play shots in the midwicket which is very tough to execute..If you don't execute properly u will get caught in the backward square leg..But i will play in the backfoot after my confidence is full,otherwise i won't touch it..I want to share my wagon wheel but i don't get enough time to play the game more then 40mins or so..By the way stats matter more than boring or not boring..

I just assumed you played only the leg glance when you said "front foot, leg side until you're in."

That post explains things better than your first one, playing through the covers is where I get most of my runs too (although I play off either foot, depending on length.)

I can understand you preferring to have good stats, rather than finding the game "boring or not boring", but part of the thrill for me is looking at my stats, and thinking "Well my List A average is shite, time to really knuckle down and get that up." And even then, I don't limit my game play that much. I might shelve the cover drive until I'm in, or play more defensively, but the few times I've made 50, and see my wagon wheel... I honestly feel disappointed if it's just all behind square. I'd rather score 20, all around the ground, than 50 from only 2 different shots.

Don't think I'm attacking you here, I'm not. I'm just trying to explain that the way it seems like you play would be boring for me. Just like the way I play, might be frustrating for you.
I have a mate who plays nothing but leg glances, and cow-corner slogs, and he still loves the game.. So as long as you're enjoying it, go nuts.

@Believe Yaa!I agree with you..I too will get bored if I play just two shots all the time..I prefer to be in the pavilion instead of leg glance all the time man:D:D..I play according to the field irrespective of my confidence level..The only shot i avoid when i am new to the crease is the backfoot cut to square gully,point,third man...It's a recipe for a disaster..Once I get settled then I can score all over the ground.....Actually i tried to give some batting tips to @LittleBigPlanet whom i thought was a beginner to this game,which u misunderstand badly;)..

Playing without any of the colour indicators on veteran difficulty I've found makes facing fast and medium bowling much easier but for some reason spin is now incredibly difficult as is judging running between the wickets but on the flip side I must say that this 75 run partnership between Simpson and Harvey is the most satisfying batting I've had in DBC14. Once Harvey got out my concentration was broken and I pretty much couldn't get it back and I was easily baited in to the same dismissals over and over. Spofforth had about 4 LBW shouts in the first over including a wicket first ball, I couldn't judge him for anything and my RR was about 0.94 at one point but after getting in it became really fun. A couple of drives where I picked up the length early against Spofforth were so satisfying to crash in to the boundary. It's a pity that I buggered up the rest of the innings. I'm still premeditating a little bit but I find that I still have enough time to judge the length to go the other way if need.

vs spin, 8/25 off 30.3 overs lol

dwrqyc.jpg

I tend to just play almost everything on the front foot for some reason even if it's a massive bouncer

I've been trying to bat well ever since I bought the game. It wasnt until I turned off the visual indicators that my batting has improved. For some reason I used to think that the visuals will help me watch the ball better. I was absolutely wrong.
It certainly wasnt easy early on but once I got used to it, I am enjoying every bit of batting. Scored 162, 184 and 178 in 3 T20 games on Legend difficulty.
Was playing as Indo-Pak XI. Dravid scored 50s in all the 3 matches.
Every run scored gave immense amount of pleasure.

The game is on a whole new level when turning the visual indicators off and the satisfaction of scoring big individual scores or partnerships is great, there's a real feeling of every run earned especially in unfavourable batting conditions. But it makes running between the wickets a lot more difficult I've found since I can't pick up the ball but it's a challenge.

The game is on a whole new level when turning the visual indicators off and the satisfaction of scoring big individual scores or partnerships is great, there's a real feeling of every run earned especially in unfavourable batting conditions. But it makes running between the wickets a lot more difficult I've found since I can't pick up the ball but it's a challenge.

I can spot the ball if it is rolling along the carpet. But it is getting 'lost in the crowd' for aerial hits.

Just out of curiosity, for you blokes who turn the visual indicators off.. What batting camera do you use?

I use Broadcast (It's what I'm used to from every other cricket game ever.) But that sounds interesting to me, and I wanna give it a go.

Can't able to score more than 25 runs at the moment in legend mode..But i am on the verge of getting selected for the International side in all formats because of my fast bowling..I hope once my skills improve my batting will come good..

Just out of curiosity, for you blokes who turn the visual indicators off.. What batting camera do you use?

I use Broadcast (It's what I'm used to from every other cricket game ever.) But that sounds interesting to me, and I wanna give it a go.

I use 'Close Batsman.' Facing fast bowlers is easy and medium pacers can be bashed all around the park. However, against spinners, I will admit that it gets a little difficult to pick the length of the ball if it dips. Specially against quality bowlers like Warne, Murali and Saqlain. Ironically, for me, when I used to bat with the indicators ON, I was the most comfortable against spinners.

I think that is how the game is supposed to be played. If say, I am playing against Australia 90s, I score at around 8-9 runs an over against Mcgrath, Gillespie. I am very careful against Warne and prefer singles and doubles in his over. I know I can catch up on the run rate when a Waugh or a Harvey comes on.

Close batsman is the best, as you can watch the ball really well...

Users who are viewing this thread