Programming

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I started VB sometime ago, and I started to learn off the videos off of the Microsoft Website. I found it very helpful. I want to learn a new language though. My thoughts are either C++ or JAVA.. But I really have no clue which one is the correct one for me. Which one would you or did you go after? I don't know much about programming.. So which one would help me in the long run and is easier to learn? By the way, If you have good links to starters for learning, please post them. Thank you. :)

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
If you're really serious about programming then there is only one way to start and that is 'C' language. You can't go on to make huge softwares or programs in it while you are in learning phase but if you want to make your life easier in programming later, then you should really have a good hold on the fundamentals of 'C' language. Once you have a good hold on it, you can then learn any programming language in the world. C++ and Java are Object oriented languages, which would be quite advance for the beginners. I can go on and on.....but for now I hope you'd have got the idea.

afreedee

Club Cricketer
Pak cricketer, if you want a language that'll help in the long run try C++. Its really powerful and there are quite a few tutorials about it around the web:
cplusplus.com
cprogramming.com

and just search google for 'c++ tutorial' and you'll get loads of results...

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, I have two books on C++, which my brother used. They are long, but they include almost everything and are in-depth. I might start that. Get ready for some questions though ;)

afreedee

Club Cricketer
viral1991 said:
As I have started learning C++, can anyone mention a good C++ compiler? :)

Dev-C++ is what i use (i've been TRYING to learn C++ - but i'm still hopelessly lost)

You can get it from Here

Hope that helps

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
afreedee said:
Dev-C++ is what i use (i've been TRYING to learn C++ - but i'm still hopelessly lost)

You can get it from Here

Hope that helps

It'll take tons of time, I also use Dev C++, although I've been looking at the Microsoft Visual C++. Best way to learn is to buy a book..

Books I can recommend:

C++ for Dummies (If its anything like VB for Dummies it's great!)
C++ How to Program by H.M. Deitel/ P.J. Deitel (I have this book, and is good to use cause it provides tons of examples)
C++ Bible Probably the longest, but yet it contains everything therefore the word 'bible'

If anyone else has some suggestions, recommend away!

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
learning c\C++ from ground up can be generally divided into 3 parts,
1.learning the data tyes, simple constructs like functions and structures and using pointers
2.learning various data structures
3.getting hang of OOP concept of programming.

first thing first, no need of going for C, as C++ is just and extension of C and u would have to learn it while learning C++ itself.

for starting C++, u can take any simple primer stuff.check wiley publications for it.they are best for technical books.i can't recommend any primer because basically all are same (to me)
one i know of and recommended is "the C++ primer" by sams publishing.
this book starts from basic and focuses on hands on learning.

after that, u need a advanced book and a refrence. the holy grail of C++ programming is "The C++ programming language" by Bjarne Stroustrup.
what's better than the book by the maker of the language itself!

after this, try your hands on a nice big program.using all u learnt.

if u want to divulge further, u need to learn data structures,
a good book to start would be "C++ unleashed" by sams publishing.

for compiler, i would recommend
borland 5.5, it went free quite around 2000.
it comes with all of borland's libraries that are soo important in classroom teachings.
(that's why classrooms still use TurboC, a ancient DOS based compiler/editor, but by borland too. went free around 94)

the problem with dev-cpp is that it uses gcc/g++ compiler,(open source, GNU) and hence is quite cumbersome.

Last edited:

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
I'm starting to hate Dev C++, so I have started downloading Turbo C++.. By my understanding, it is the same thing as Borland 5.5 Compiler?

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Pak_cricketer said:
I'm starting to hate Dev C++, so I have started downloading Turbo C++.. By my understanding, it is the same thing as Borland 5.5 Compiler?
nooo....
Turbo C is a DOS based editor/Compiler for Windows.
Problems:
1.It's resolution is limited to 640x480... hence it has very small screen with huge characters.This is a glaring problem on 17 inch LCD's
2.lots of shortcut keys are dos based, so common shortcuts like cut copy paste are differently defined in it. it gets irritating.
3.Help is difficult to comprehend, unless u are a pro.
4.won't work in vista.
5. computer slows, down sometimes u would find winamp skipping, nero failing etc etc.

Borland 5.5 is the first one which is a windows based compiler/editor.
almost all of the above problems are addressed in it, + there are loads of features which only TC can dream of.
actually, u can say that Borland 5.5 is TC which has been updated for windows.
and it's freeeeeee. :)

Users who are viewing this thread