Proper test cricket

Blake84

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
This game just came out in Aus and I want to buy it but I cant handle another ac09 incident. I have read a lot of reviews and a lot of the threads on here but I just want a definitive answer from like minded players. Can I play realistic test cricket. What I have heard sounds promising apart from the lofted shots. If it's to easy to just slog out at any time then I can't play it.
Cheers.

formula1man

International Cricketer
Same problem here.

I'm not sure whether to buy this game, just came out in Australia. What do you need to do to the stats to make the AI play well? do you need to change your own stats? also are there still instant wicket balls, like bowling an in cutting half volley from a left armer to a right hander and have him play a back foot shot and get bowled? do spinners get heaps of wickets too? coz these were the two things that ruined ashes 09 for me. i want to be able to get a good game without adjusting my playing style, just opposition stats.

Watson33

Club Cricketer
Spinners do still get heaps of wickets yes, but seam/swing bowlers do take more wickets this year. I have found myself taking alot more bowled/lbw wickets with seamers this year than last year. And yes, Test Matches are far more realistic this year, most of mine have lasted 4 days with about 30% going into the 5th day!

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Don't buy the game if you want to play online. It is broken.

You can play some reasonably decent Test matches using minimal HUD on the Hard setting, but very few of the matches go into the 5th day (nowhere near 30%). The matches are usually over by the afternoon of the 3rd day.

kamy100

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I would say that most of my matches last four days, with the occassional one going into the 5th day. It is possible to play proper test cricket, definately more variety in the way you take wickets, sometimes the spinners are over effective and batting is superb, I am able to build innings in a realistic manner. As I have said in another thread that playing offline this game is superb for me.

Gone4aDuck

International Coach
I would only say you ever go into the 5th day if you have 2 excellent innings yourself. In all the time ive played IC2010 and AC09, ive only ever been offered the new ball 2 or 3 times. My best ever innings lasted just over 120 overs and the game still only just went into day 4. If the AI could bat that long, then ide be well chuffed! The main problem is the AI plays at way to many deliveries. If the AI scores 4 in the first 1 or 2 balls of an over, it wont be happy and leave or play defence with the rest, it'll just try to score more. Its qiute simple really, the more balls you play at, the higher the chance you have of getting out!! If i score 4 an over im more than happy. If the AI played in that manor, then you would have fantastic test matches.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
I would only say you ever go into the 5th day if you have 2 excellent innings yourself. In all the time ive played IC2010 and AC09, ive only ever been offered the new ball 2 or 3 times. My best ever innings lasted just over 120 overs and the game still only just went into day 4. If the AI could bat that long, then ide be well chuffed! The main problem is the AI plays at way to many deliveries. If the AI scores 4 in the first 1 or 2 balls of an over, it wont be happy and leave or play defence with the rest, it'll just try to score more. Its qiute simple really, the more balls you play at, the higher the chance you have of getting out!! If i score 4 an over im more than happy. If the AI played in that manor, then you would have fantastic test matches.

*manner

How did you get to 30 years of age with such atrocious spelling?

The problem is that the AI does not play in that "manner", because there is not enough intelligence in the engine. In fact, you find yourself having to deliberately play more conservatively in order to get the matches to go to a Day 4 or 5. That gets old fast.

Watson33

Club Cricketer
CaptainOZ, thats your opinion mate, to some it may not get old fast. Thread starter, I would buy the game mate, then if you are not happy take it back, or maybe even try and rent the game first.

MalikBrother

School Cricketer
I hear a lot of positive reviews for this game especially the Test - offline game. This is must buy i feel, and however, i haven't bought the game yet. And i am wondering how is shots selection in IC 2010, and are those shots quite similar to real cricket especially in Test format? I still am planning to buy the game. LOL

I hear there are three cricket games coming in next year which prevent me from wanting to buy this game.

MalikBrother added 1 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

CaptainOZ, thats your opinion mate, to some it may not get old fast. Thread starter, I would buy the game mate, then if you are not happy take it back, or maybe even try and rent the game first.

Sadly, the rental of IC 2010 is not option in North America, but the rest of games are in rental categories though.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors

Mate, yes that's my opnion, but it's the opinion of many others too. The problem lies with Codemasters themselves. For instance, the game is meant to be reliably played online, but it cannot for most people because of the disconnection bug. That's a big deal.

The most obvious display of Codemsaters' comtempt and disdain for its customers is their lack of support. Once the game was released in June, they cut off all contact with the gaming community. They never even hinted at fixing the problem.

So sure, you may enjoy your purchase or rental, but you have to realise that many people stopped playing it because the online feature (promised on the front of the box) was broken. And the offline game is allright (a few bugs) but it lacks depth and has no statistics tracking. There are so many good games out there, that we'd rather spend our time on games to DO work, and ARE supported by their developers, than to force ourselves to get something substantive out of IC10.

It's really just like a kid who has a stick and a ball, and that's all he's got, but he has to use all his imagination to pretend that he's getting something out of it. You may not agree, but that's pretty much what a lot of people have suggested on this site. It's no wonder that, bar you and a couple of others, nobody posts in this section anymore.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Arrogance, not "arogance".

And keep your racist views to yourself

Settle down. Calling Aussies arrogant is not "racist" even if it is generalised.
I actually happen to agree with what you said in your latest post about Codies going quiet post-release.

On the original question of is it worth buying I'd say that if you don't have a patched AC09 then definitely. Even if you do it's still good to play with your mates.

melucas

School Cricketer
I have played around with the settings and am now playing some very good test matches.
Batting I have reduced both running speed and batting strength to around 50% and adjusted up the other stats. I have tried to make timing accuracy and intelligence the same percentage.
Spin bowlers I have reduced their spin to 50% and adjusted up accuracy
Fielding I have reduced both catching settings to 50% and adjusted upward fielding speed and throw accuracy
The first game I played with these settings I bowled 136 overs for a total of 478
The games I play average around 4 RPO when i'm bowling.
I have adjusted all teams that I am allowed to adjust and have played an innings bowling with most. Teams like India Pakistan Sri Lanka and South Africa average around the 4 New Zealand averages around 4.8 and Zimbabwe over 5 as their attack is less effective. The others I am yet to play with.
I no longer have yorkers smacked out of the ground and the spinners do take wickets but it is harder and they usually go for around 5 or 6 an over.
Not every ball that beats the field goes for 4 and the amount of sixes hit in an innings is more realistic.
The downside to the game is that I cannot adjust Australia or England therefore you can only play an ashes with the programmed settings which allows these annoying bugs and high run rates and easy batting people talk about.
The game once tweaked for me is enjoyable. I only play test cricket but I did try a one dayer with the settings and the AI scored 245. This is the only one day game I have played so I don't know if this is the norm.
Since adjusting the settings the lowest amount of overs I have been able to bowl a team out is 63.2 but I usually have to bowl from 85 to 110 overs with the odd innings going longer as I have already stated.
I haven't talked about the effect the settings have on player batting as each person bats differently. I personally set myself at the crease and don't move the batsmen during the delivery except to come down the crease on the odd occasion. I defend a lot of balls not to make the game go longer but I have found if I start hitting every ball I eventually nick one and get out. I play both batting and bowling on hard mode minimum HUD. I get a headache from concentrating too much with no HUD
I hope this post helps some of you on making your decision. It isn't a superb game but it certainly is the best on the market for playability. Things like stats tracking, full customisation, rain and ducking a bouncer are missing but hopefully they will be included in future releases.
Gone are the ridiculous runouts and ineffective bowling of Ashes 09

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Just a little imput on this!!

With regards to not being able to change the Aussie and England sides.

If you are not completely obsessed with looking at the players faces, I created my own Hussey, Watson and Clarke, Strauss, Trott, and Prior

As I did with the other sides adjusted their batting stats and played a Test,

Aus: 457 off 110 overs: Katich 47, Watson 62, Hussey 87, Clarke 101

Eng: 397 off 98 overs: Strauss 92, Cook 48, Trott 56, Prior 102

Aus: 321 off 92 overs: Watson 107, Ponting 88, Hussey 47

Eng: 362 off 98 overs: Cook 87, Trott 113, Pietersen 65

I bowled with both teams, by selecting both teams as user controlled.

Match ended half way through day 5 and was belter!!!

Users who are viewing this thread