PS3 Error

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys,

My nephew is having a problem with his PS3, games won't load and he's getting the following error code:

I've done a bit of research about it, but can't find out how to fix it. Anyone here had that problem and if so, how did you get round it? Sounds as though resetting it to factory defaults might help, but won't that lose all data, including map packs and so on that have been bought for CoD 5? Will we have to pay for them all over again? The only USB drives I have are 1Gb, surely that won't be enough to hold all the data?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Happened to me last week and my mate in the same week. I think the Blu-Ray reader has gone bust so it doesn't read discs anymore. All you can do is play downloads. I'm gonna call Sony and see how much it is to replace it seeing as it's past warranty.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
The thing is, just now it has loaded Killzone 2 fine: both campaign and online appear to be working. With Fifa 09, it kept crashing whenever going to online. So, do you reckon it's possible to just swap the BluRay player with a new one just as you can with a PC's DVD drive? I've read that a factory reset can solve this problem in some cases; of course, that means losing all data, doesn't it? The only stuff he's really fussed about is CoD 5 accounts, map packs and so on, should they fit on a 1Gb USB drive, even if it means having to do them one at a time?

If it really was the BluRay, surely it would never load discs. Does the lense need cleaning and if so, how do you go about that with a PS3??

Either way, let us know what Sony say, eh?

Thanks for your help. :)

Edit: Strange that it happened to you and your mate at more or less the same time. Maybe it could've been caused by a firmware update or some other sort of update? I don't know, I'm just clutching at straws here. :)

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
That's what's so good about the PC: if a component goes wrong, you identify it and replace it (if this happened with a PC's DVD drive, it'd be no problem at all to replace it). One thing: someone who didn't know better unplugged the machine at the mains, twice. Could that have contributed to it?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I got similar error but that was on DVD movie. That disc was scratched to death so its maybe problem with your Blue Ray disc.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've since found out that a service would be around ?91 (I saw it as $150 and converted it). That's not too bad.

What would my chances be of getting a 60gb version so I could play PS2 games as well (adding the extra money on, of course)?

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

I got similar error but that was on DVD movie. That disc was scratched to death so its maybe problem with your Blue Ray disc.

It has since got worse: some of the demos are not running properly now. Looks like it's service time...

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
No more backward compatibly in PS3's. Whats price of PS3 anyhow? In India it costs 500 USD approximately. I know in Japan its 50% cheaper.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
One other thing. When it goes away to be replaced (they said they don't do service) with a refurbished unit I'd imagine, should I remove the HDD first, to avoid data getting into the wrong hands, or should I just stick the information I need onto a USB and wipe the HDD? Are online stats for CoD and such like kept if you have to do that?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
use external hard drive or usb drive to back up your data.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
use external hard drive or usb drive to back up your data.

And then wipe the HDD before they come to pick PS3 up (I'd imagine that's what they'd do, as they said they would replace it with a refurbished unit)?

Edit: Approximately how much space would you need to back up data? 1gb? 2gb?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online stats are stored in flash memory of PS3. So if its going to be replaced then you need to build up again. As for data you can choose amount of data you want to copy. It will usually be saved games, games updates and other media files.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
No more backward compatibly in PS3's. Whats price of PS3 anyhow? In India it costs 500 USD approximately. I know in Japan its 50% cheaper.

Bought mine (80 GB with 2 DS3 wireless remotes and some random games) for AED 1950 when it just released here. Love playing Rock Band 2 now days.

Users who are viewing this thread