Rain- your view

Adarsh said:
Because it's expensive. I suppose you'll donate a bit of your pocket money towards building a roof in every stadium?

Then there is no way to solve this problem.

andrew_nixon said:
Actually Warwickshire are talking about moving to a new stadium with a roof, and Lancashire are considering putting a roof on Old Trafford as part of the redevelopment of the ground.

So how will they raise funds for that?

Warwickshire were on about ground-sharing with Birmingham City FC, however with their relegation it looks unlikely to go ahead and nothing has been mentioned in the local papers recently.

I just hope the rain stays away until after Thursday when i shall be attending my first test match.

Well, in terms of drought - England, especialyl the South East badly needs this rain. I'm pretty glad as it may prevent a drought in the summer....

i believe they should.
for a few reasons.
1.because more people will go to the ground because it will be no chance of play stopping and there are lots of facielities around a place like the millenium stadium.
2.beacause TV ratings will soar as they will know that the day will be interupted and if it's meant to be raining where the are playing the game they will not just automatically asume that play is off.

themuel1 said:
Well, in terms of drought - England, especialyl the South East badly needs this rain. I'm pretty glad as it may prevent a drought in the summer....

It's been a drier than normal winter in the south east but it's not drought.

Every day Thames water transfers 2,700 Million litres of water, exactly 1/3 of this is lost through leaks!

It works out the same as having Niagara running for 5 minutes at peak flow a day.

I really hope this does'nt happin when Pakistan come to England :(.

Cricket indoors, The Horror! The Horror!

Sure its a pitty when a match is rained off, but nothing compares to sitting down to watch a match on a good summers day.

The rain looks although it is going to remain until the end of May. But apparently the early outlook for June is dry, but cold for the time of year.

Kev said:
Cricket indoors, The Horror! The Horror!

Sure its a pitty when a match is rained off, but nothing compares to sitting down to watch a match on a good summers day.
See, the issue isn't really of making cricket an indoor game. Instead, it's an alternative to missing out on it. On your nice sunny day, you can still play and enjoy the game as it's meant to be. However, the weather doesn't decide it's state depending upon the cricket fixtures. My last 4 games in the last 2 weeks have been called off due to rain!! It's damn annoying. I know that having stadiums with roofs isn't really going to help my cause personally but it is for the good of the players, viewers and television companies. As I said earlier, some cricket is better than no cricket.

The Telstra Dome is a multi-purpose venue. Its primary tennants are the AFL clubs Carlton, Essendon, St. Kilda, The Kangaroos and The Western Bulldogs; AFL matches are played there from March to September. With the redevelopment of the MCG, it saw extensive use as a cricket ground. Although the field is an oval, it is used for international rugby and soccer. It is also used for music performances and some other non-sports events.

There could be some benefits to 4 or 5 day cricket at Docklands, but also disadvantages, many of which have already been seen by players in the ODIs that have been played. The surface is considered a bit slippery (even during AFL season) and players have found it better to wear cleats than their traditional spikes. The roof can be in position in 20 minutes, meaning that it need only be in place for particularly rainy weather.

The greatest issue with playing any four or five day game under a roof is the red ball under lights. I think most of us would conclude that the light is never sufficient, nor is a small red ball easy to pick out against a dark grey ceiling. Of course, I might be wrong, so feel free to take a lightmeter reading inside such a venue and compare it with regular daylight. ;)

So the verdict: still just for the one day game.

themuel1 said:

We'll 'ave it! There's been a massive drought over here for the last few years...
Anyway, I hate the prospect of enclosed cricket, too, it resembles indoor cricket just a little too much....

Another problem with indoor cricket, what if the ball hits the ceiling (Off, say...Afridi's bat...), and rebounds to the ground where a fielder holds a (fabulous) catch?? I mean, it was going for six, but struck the ceiling and rebounded straight downwards instead. Tad unfair, no?

Users who are viewing this thread