Re-Installing Windows

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is there any way of re-installing windows xp without losing data on the windows drive. eg. I have windows installed on my C: drive, I want to re-install windows, can I install it without losing any data on the C: drive except the Windows Directory?

Is there any way of re-installing windows xp without losing data on the windows drive. eg. I have windows installed on my C: drive, I want to re-install windows, can I install it without losing any data on the C: drive except the Windows Directory?

Dont format it while re-installing.

If you have a full retail version of windows I think you will have an option to keep your settings. If your version of windows is OEM then you definitely don't have this option.

OEM versions only allow a clean install I'm afraid

All kinds of Windows allow clean install, even the Upgrade versions if you have any previous windows disc handy.
@Harrypotter_fan - Boot off your machine with your Windows XP cd, it will pick up the existing Windows folder. Do a repair install on top of it which will reset some of the settings including any service packs or security updates but will preserve all the hardware drivers and programs. Unless, you want to do an absolute clean install but want to retain the programs, well thats not possible.

Well last week i had to update my PC bec it went really slow.. so I had the CD which Dell gave me.. i installed lost.. damn that i had saved my data to USB.. and i got my dads driver to fix my laptop.. :(.. working good now :) thanks to him.

I should say download and re-install Service pack 2 - Thats almost as good as installing the whole windows, seing it replaces 99% of your system files.

Well last week i had to update my PC bec it went really slow.. so I had the CD which Dell gave me.. i installed lost.. damn that i had saved my data to USB.. and i got my dads driver to fix my laptop.. :(.. working good now :) thanks to him.

Those Dell discs are sometime not the proper Windows install discs but highly customised automated install discs which will simply overwrite everything in the system.

yeah the dell drivers for GFX card sound card and stuff went.. my wirless file things of laptop went aswell.. i dunno how the guy fixed it..

Copy paste your Programs on different locations then try formatting. I can't guarantee that your programs will run again. NFS Most Wanted Ran perfectly on my system after this

Last edited:
I wish I'd have done that! I reinstalled Windows (no formatting) and lost all my Documents and Settings folder - there was some important stuff in there. The thing is, I remember backing it up onto a DVD, but it is nowhere to be seen.
A word from the wise, back up your Docs and Settings folder before doing anything else!!! I've tried all manner of file retrieval programs, but none of them worked. They found the file, but it was all messed up and unreadable.

I don't understand why Windows needed to delete the Docs and Setting folder anyway!

You must have done a fresh install of windows rather than just reinstalling...

in that case, windows creates a new set of folders : program files, docu & settings, windows...
That simply replaced(overwrite) the old folders that u already had...

did u install after booting from the CD or installed it from within Windows?

There's a repair option in winxp, which simply replaces the content of the windows folder, but does not change any settings, or deletes any file... also, all your programs will work after doing this....

The option can be accessed after booting from the CD ROM, and choosing to do a fresh install. It will search for any windows already installed, and it will tell you if you have one...
Then it will show you an option of repair...

Thats what we are looking for :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread