Reformatting & Virus...

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Everyones talking about viruses, well I'm pretty sure my cpu has one or its badly bugged. I don't know how this has happened I havnt been on anything illegal or downloaded illegal torrents or anything like that so wtf?

Anyway my cpu keeps opening weird web pages at will and stuff like that. So I would basically like to either reformat my PC or get rid of the virus I don't have an antivirus programe (I don't think). I do have a CD of Windows XP that the PC company gave me, will I be able to use that to set everything to factory settings?

Thanks.

Everyones talking about viruses, well I'm pretty sure my cpu has one or its badly bugged. I don't know how this has happened I havnt been on anything illegal or downloaded illegal torrents or anything like that so wtf?

Anyway my cpu keeps opening weird web pages at will and stuff like that. So I would basically like to either reformat my PC or get rid of the virus I don't have an antivirus programe (I don't think). I do have a CD of Windows XP that the PC company gave me, will I be able to use that to set everything to factory settings?

Thanks.
A tip for you dude. Download AVG it's a free antivirus programme it'll sort your little visitor out for you.

Try an antivirus punk? Surely its better than a windows reinstall! Get avast! home edition. Its free and it rocks.

Also use Spybot-Search and destroy.

Firstly of course if you reformat you'll be ok, but you'll lose everything it should be a last resort.

Secondly get anti-virus software and anti-spyware. As Kieron says AVG is free, as is Avast and many others. Nobody should run a computer with access to the net without some protection. Would you leave the front door to your house open while you popped to the shops?

Thirdly its a common misconception that if you don't download anything dodgey that you are safe from viruses/spyware. Torrents for example wouldn't last very long if they contained viruses, nobody would seed it. These days most viruses come via email. And you can get a browser hijacker (probably what you do have) just by browsing the net. IE has many security flaws and people exploit them for their own gains, or just for shits and giggles. Use a more secure/less popular browser like Firefox or Opera and you are less likely to get attacked, especially if you use extra security plug-ins.

When my PC starts up it says my firewall is on but just havnt got a antivirus. Kev I always use Firefox but I guess something mus have went wrong.

Also my internet (like only the browser pages) are running so slow all my other stuff like Windows Live, Steam games etc run perfectly fine. I'm going to get the antiviruses mentioned.

Thanks.
Weird web pages huh you are corrupted with a Spyware or Adware I removed it using PC Tools Spyware Doctor

Guys I keep getting this message when I try to reinstall windows from the CD....http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6518/arghed3.png

I'm getting loads of crap opening up random ass adult sites and stuff it's really irritating and the fact that it won't load any page so I can't download the free antivirus......
Oh that CD-error are you installing from CD ? because it shows the file is missing from "C:" drive. If you are trying to repair instead of fresh install. I recommend format you're PC and perform a fresh install.

Last edited:
I was fresh installing....anyway I have reformatted it now and its fine but I have a new problem.

If anyone can tell me a solution I will be more than greatful. I setup my wireless adapter just as I did befor I reformatted except this time I am getting no signal from my home hub my 'Wireless Network Connection'' isnt responding and just has a yellow caution mark next to it. How can I fix this thansk!

EDIT: Just to add befor anyone tells me the simple solutions, I have entered the right WEP key in my Netgear hud and everything, it's not the home hub because the pc I am using to post is on wireless and is working fine...ty.

Last edited:
Ok it's all working the fan has become quite on its own and gas no I'm not having the best of times but I'm partly to blame for not using an antivirus.

So I would like to ask you guys what do I do to protect my computer now?

P.S This is a bit offtopic I know, but gas, did you try 3dMark Vantage?

No i haven't to be honest i don't really know anything about it. I have stopped using 3DMark, every time i run a test these days i get the message Submission Failed. I have reinstalled it several times as well. Very annoying.

Anyway, back on topic....

Users who are viewing this thread