Reviews - improving or just causing controversy?

^yep, which is the problem with the system as it is. The scenario in which someone challenges an incorrect call that is insufficiently incorrect to over-turn the verdict punishes the team making the review by deducting them one of their challenges.

overall the largest difficulty it's faced has been that it was introduced in a manner that was designed to prevent howlers (like the broad non-dismissal) but players can't help but use it tactically when a competitive edge is introfuced, or perhaps just howlers only seem like howlers once we've had a good look at them ourselves and the distinction between a marginal decision and a clear one is rarely that obvious on the field.

challenges in tennis have been such a success because their system was introduced with the main aim of helping players decide on marginal decisions (and they don't have predictive element to points like LBW) which is how they are largely used.

Hot spot needs to go ASAP after the reports from the ashes that batsmen are putting silicon tape on the edges of their bats so hot spot cant pick up edges.

Hot spot needs to go ASAP after the reports from the ashes that batsmen are putting silicon tape on the edges of their bats so hot spot cant pick up edges

You didn't really read this then :
Ashes 2013: International Cricket Council dismisses reports of batsmen attempting to cheat Hot Spot - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Nine did not provide sources and gave no details of whether the Australian or England batsmen may have been using the tape to fool Hot Spot, which uses thermal cameras to see if a batsman has hit the ball, either with his bat or pad.

More like that nonsense Vaseline controversy :p

When the first allegations of peppermint lollies were made after the 2005 series it was denied and dismissed instantly and remained that way for a very long time.

A little YES or NO lie is easy. This is a very subtle technical way of cheating which falls in the grey area in my opinion. When outrageous accusations like these are made they are most likely accurate a rumour like that would not leak that quick if it was just total fabrication. Its most likely Australia are doing the same thing if they were that quick to point the finger.

As for Pietersen's little twitter outbursts claiming his innocence i wouldn't read into that too much this is the same guy that threw his English captain and team mates under the bus not so long ago.

^Yes I think that's the first rule, deny, deny, deny! It worked for Lance Armstrong for a while :(

Interesting on KPs point about how spotting the inside edge saved him in the first innings. If we can find a batsman that has tape on the outside, but not on the inside edge, then we've got a cheater :p Most bats I see have that sleeve thing over all the bottom half.

Wow, all this effort "cheating" to avoid being given out on unobvious nicks by hotspot when there is also the naked eye and snicker o meter.

Frankly seems like a rather pointless cheat to me, with so many other ways of getting out to try and dodge the thinnest of edges strikes me as pathetic as the allegations. I'm guessing it was a failing tactic all the times he failed this series ;)

Backing/substantiating them by completely irrelevant comparisons with other allegations is just farcical chaps, like suggesting because Shahid Acheati did a pirouette on a pitch once that he cheats all the time and every cricketer cheats.

While it is possible someone put tape on their bat, it strikes me as so pathetic and unlikely to save their ass much, as to be improbable. Sounds like a bit ofs hit stirring by the bitter aussie media. If it were true it ranks alongside Athers' pathetic dirt in pocket "scandal".

Suggest the aussies focus on their team's failings, not whether someone is getting thin edges that 'technology' can't detect.

Wow, all this effort "cheating" to avoid being given out on unobvious nicks by hotspot when there is also the naked eye and snicker o meter.

Frankly seems like a rather pointless cheat to me, with so many other ways of getting out to try and dodge the thinnest of edges strikes me as pathetic as the allegations. I'm guessing it was a failing tactic all the times he failed this series ;)

Backing/substantiating them by completely irrelevant comparisons with other allegations is just farcical chaps, like suggesting because Shahid Acheati did a pirouette on a pitch once that he cheats all the time and every cricketer cheats.

While it is possible someone put tape on their bat, it strikes me as so pathetic and unlikely to save their ass much, as to be improbable. Sounds like a bit ofs hit stirring by the bitter aussie media. If it were true it ranks alongside Athers' pathetic dirt in pocket "scandal".

Suggest the aussies focus on their team's failings, not whether someone is getting thin edges that 'technology' can't detect.

Pointless cheat? how? All you have to do is get away with it once out of a hundred times and its cheating.

Leaking team information to opposition about teammates and sticking tape on the edge of your bat to avoid thin edges may be apples and oranges but they both fall under the category of dishonesty. Not as irrelevant to one another as you are trying to emphasise.

Funny that you bring up the Afridi incident in Pakistan. Look at KP's track record with the whole Peter Moores saga, the texting incident and now this. Afridi himself is never too far from controversy either.

Bitter is having J.Wilkinson kick a field goal in extra time to win a WC vs Australia and then complaining of their playing style.

Loosing to the Lions and complaining about the ref.

Its hard not to question a teams integrity when you see and hear about these little devious subtleties like:
Peppermint lollies to make the ball swing.
Tape on the edge of the bat.
Graeme Swann trying to hide hand sprays from the camera.
Someone on the balcony to help with every review.
Broad and Anderson on and off the field during bowling spells.

There are three premises that DRS needs to fulfil, it fails in too many of them :

- it is simple to impliment and understand
- it is consistent and reliable
- it is accepted and trusted by the players

Even more controversy and that leading to a tw**t from James Taylor

James Taylor said:
How can you have technology involved in cricket if it is going to be so inconsistent...

It is the implementation as much as the system, I think it was Dirk Nannes saying that he thinks it is wrong batsmen should be not out if it hits their pads just because the ball hits outside the off stump, but the review England used up because of "umpire's call" where it wasn't definitely outside the line is just more controversy.

And I think they overcomplicate it with balancing umpire's own vision with dorkeye and hotspot and snickers-o-meter. Most of the pundits I've heard say anything about clean catches say if you slow it down there'll always be doubt and I think the same applies for wickets/reviews, there are so many factors thrown in the mix it causes too much doubt. Let dorkeye make a decision on LBWs, either hitting or not hitting the stumps, hitting the pad in line or not in line, and pitching in line or outside, none of this "umpire's call" cobblers.

Keep it simple, let the third umpire be a neutral arbiter, a second opinion if you like and if it contradicts the first opinion is that not what the reviewer is seeking?!?!? If, with added technology come gimmicks, he would give it out then let him.

It would remove the biggest single controversy for me which is the influence of "umpire's call" where it stays out if the umpire gives it out, or stays not out if the umpire gives it out.

----------

Leaking team information to opposition about teammates and sticking tape on the edge of your bat to avoid thin edges may be apples and oranges but they both fall under the category of dishonesty. Not as irrelevant to one another as you are trying to emphasise.

You seriously think batsmen are trying to dodge hotspot?!?! The point about the "pointless cheat" is it is like goalline technology for the 1 in 200 or more occaisions it may come into use, if the batsman is clean bowled, gets a thick edge, is out LBW or chips it to a fielder then this thin tape that so many are convinced is in circulation will not save them.

Not entirely pointless maybe, but still a drop in the ocean, IF players are indeed using it. I'm not defending England or English batsmen, but from the rest of your post I can see you wrongly believe that.

Funny that you bring up the Afridi incident in Pakistan. Look at KP's track record with the whole Peter Moores saga, the texting incident and now this. Afridi himself is never too far from controversy either.

What has KP's track record got to do with cheating, it is all off field? Keep it relevant and don't make it tit for tat like most tits do, when it comes to cheating I am neutral and am not singling out one country over another, simply trying to be objective.

Bitter is having J.Wilkinson kick a field goal in extra time to win a WC vs Australia and then complaining of their playing style.

Uh oh, like I really care if you want to try to exorcise a chip on your shoulder, you can blather on about English all you like but if you read my posts elsewhere I freely cite where England cheat, including Hussain and Broad, Athers with dirt in his pocket etc and other instances so stop trying to score points in some kind of p1ssing contest.

If you want a p1ssing contest I've heard Panesar is your man

Its hard not to question a teams integrity when you see and hear about these little devious subtleties like:
Peppermint lollies to make the ball swing.
Tape on the edge of the bat.
Graeme Swann trying to hide hand sprays from the camera.
Someone on the balcony to help with every review.
Broad and Anderson on and off the field during bowling spells.

I think you should suck on a lemon, I mean wow so you've identified my nationality and blathered on like a true plank, like I said, chip on your shoulder, possibly a chip shop on each. I have no intention of defending English players, you've clearly got both ends of the wrong stick. I condone no cheating on either side, I do however think that people are blowing a lot of smoke hoping that people conclude there is no smoke without fire........................

Bring on bat inspections, pocket checks whenever players go out onto the field, abolish sweets, methinks the smell of sour of grapes has been present ever since one nation started losing.............................

----------

^Yes I think that's the first rule, deny, deny, deny! It worked for Lance Armstrong for a while :(

Interesting on KPs point about how spotting the inside edge saved him in the first innings. If we can find a batsman that has tape on the outside, but not on the inside edge, then we've got a cheater :p Most bats I see have that sleeve thing over all the bottom half.

Have we got any real evidence or is phil and all others like him just working themselves up? Might have guessed you'd be more pragmatic, rational and objective than most.

I just happen to be a non-believer on this one as I'm not sure, as you say, he gains any more than he loses. I'm not sure I believed jellybeangate either, it just sounded too pathetic for words but that doesn't mean it didn't happen just like the tape thing is possible but sounds too ridiculous for words.

I dunno about cheating, I'd be embarrassed if caught taking such measures, but then we could move on to bottle tops, sledging and intimidation with excess short stuff if we want to talk of any advantage, slight or otherwise (please note I talk generally, not about specific countries, I do no flag waving or p1ssing contests TYVM)

I am more believing of the "comfort breaks" that England adopted, especially knowing what Michael Yawn was like as a captain and the kind of prat he is. So actually I suppose anything (stupid/pathetic) is possible where he is concerned, I gather these days he gives his wicket away for charity! :D

I think they found the tape on the bat helps in some tests, but I've yet to even sense that anyone is using it to cheat. It was the same with the vaseline theory, rub that down the side of the bat and it apparently reduced hot spot detection - never heard from that again :p

I think they found the tape on the bat helps in some tests, but I've yet to even sense that anyone is using it to cheat. It was the same with the vaseline theory, rub that down the side of the bat and it apparently reduced hot spot detection - never heard from that again :p

We get so many allegations it just comes across as petty and so often it is the losers making the allegations so also comes across as sour grapes - one day maybe sour grapes will be used to grease bats or something!

I think DRS does its bit, lets batsmen off the hook when it looks like they would have been given out but "umpire's (bad) call" wins the day.

Before DRS hotspot wouldn't even have been used, but I remember back in the day before gimmicks took over that they showed slow motion replays and even zoomed in and you could so often see the slight deflections or edges.

Technology schmechnology :D

Users who are viewing this thread