LEAGUE Rugby league live 2 gets 2013 rosters with downloadable content

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well... Now that you mention it, I am not sure as they said 18 months dev but in subsequent interviews they have said that they were on it for three years... same guy different answers too - not that it really matters as apparently they've made 5000 cricket games to date and have been making them for 50 years or whatever stupid number they came up with, but they weren't involved in any bad ones :p

We've been on ours for years off and on between projects.

You like to give crap don't you ross.:p p.s I asked chief why he does not fight back in a friendly way, not his cup of tea I guess. The games will do the talking.:thumbs

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well to be fair, I don't think you can term that as a lie. Granted they might be using a third-party game engine, but still does not take away from the fact that the code and artwork for this game were built from the scratch.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Hmm... that's where you and I differ. You gotta be straight up honest with your customers, even if we are just a small number of unknowns on PlanetCricket.

It's been so long between drinks for a cricket game I forgive so easy I know. If bigant comes together as well as we hope then my feelings could change. p.s At the price ashes is now, even if it's a tweaked ic2010 with still broken online and has problems it's still worth a low price. I'm to soft.:lol

----------

Well to be fair, I don't think you can term that as a lie. Granted they might be using a third-party game engine, but still does not take away from the fact that the code and artwork for this game were built from the scratch.

So true, also a lot cheaper than making a new engine. We will find out soon.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Unity engine you say, not from scratch, why would they lie to us.
Well the majority of games are built on SDKs and engines to some extent, a lot of things it just doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel on. If you're only doing one sports title, it certainly doesn't make sense to build a whole engine for it, as you just open yourself up to bugs at so many points. The question would be how far you go back in the process. I think not being based off previous cricket titles is enough to say 'from scratch' - but then you certainly could have taken the previous games and moved them to another engine if that was the goal.

Of course when you do a bunch of titles based on it, then the added flexibility can have advantages.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think it's doing a huge disservice to peoples characters to be openly suggesting deceit, for what it's worth...

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I know *why* you would use a third party engine but I wouldn't then claim that I'd built that engine.

Lol @ Biggs - you and I both do it, routinely :)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
The difference is I'm not the CEO of a company rabble rousing children ;)

...but yes, I see your point.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I know *why* you would use a third party engine but I wouldn't then claim that I'd built that engine.
I think it's reasonable enough to interpret that as starting from scratch meaning starting without using their previous work, not that everything is their own - I certainly haven't seen them claiming their own engine.

It's like saying I built my house from scratch and then complaining when I buy pre-made bricks.

That said, their claims to have made AC09 from scratch are a bit weak now considering some of the things that have come out when pushing how made from scratch the new game is.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Last I'll say on it - they have claimed they built the engine from scratch on numerous occasions.

Btw hard to post from the Footy - and yes Matt - they gave a few players including Judd the day off :)

----------

The difference is I'm not the CEO of a company rabble rousing children ;)

...but yes, I see your point.

Fair enough, consider me reformed, well I'll try my best :)

angad

Chairman of Consent

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Link: Official Announcement - General Discussion - The Official Ashes Cricket 2013 Forum
I suppose you could run on the technicality of 'game engine' vs 'graphics engine' - I hadn't seen them claiming either and think it's certainly poor form.

angad

Chairman of Consent
Lol....sorry for OT, but this is just hillarious:

NFOHump

Check out the subject of the thread and the OP pic...lol

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
To be honest, we're really arguing semantics here anyway Matt, because these guys are going to promote their product by exaggeration anyway. It's a bit like buying Shampoo, if you think it really adds 300% more "life" to your hair more fool on you.

I think when people are saying "it's all new" it's reasonable to assume what they're really saying is "it's not like previous games which were built using the old game as a base" which is exactly how I read it, not being a "relative" of C09 or IC10 and the new images prove that. I mean... you go and buy a "NEW PC" but it's always using components of previous models just in a new box. The flipside to this is the Big Ant game, which is built using their (old) footy engine. So while it's a NEW title, it's not a NEW engine. Again, it's semantics but everything is a relative of something else. A lot of their quality-control on their incredible sounding game is built FROM their experience and development on other sports titles. So it's not "all new" either... What is new, is how they're approaching their gameplay, character design and the little attention to detail stuff like DRS and so on...

It's about reading between the lines when people are promoting their product. I would also add, prolly a good idea when it comes to reading what the competition is saying about competing titles as well. Ross and I are similar beasts, prone to exaggeration...

Only, Occasionally...

Last edited:

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
Welcome! For sure we will be updating everyone on new features and lots more as we go on - but first off we can confirm that the game engine is built completely from scratch

Well in their defense they never said THEY built it from scratch....:p

Users who are viewing this thread