Rugby League World Cup - stupid administrators

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Well, the Rugby League World Cup is heading towards it's inevitible conclusion, a predictable win to the Australian "juggernaut", and might I say what a well run game Rugby League is.

The "genius" who decided to put the top 4 teams in the same group so that Papua New Guinea had no hope in hell of making the semi finals is to be congratulated, it is decisions like these that have ensured the game has not grow at all internationally during the last 25 years.

Seriously, 3 drunk guys in a pub handing out a few illegible scribbles on the back of soggy beer soaked drink coasters as media releases could run the game better.

Now wonder certain Rugby League players (who shall remain nameless) would rather head off to France to play Ra-Ra in pink clothing than play in this most "prestigious" of tournaments.

Last edited:

Ponting_14

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The "genius" who decided to put the top 4 teams in the same group so that Papua New Guinea had no hope in hell of making the semi finals is to be congratulated, it is decisions like these that have caused the game to not grow at all internationally during the last 25 years.

How about you tell us what your format would have been?

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
My system is very simple...

Group 1...Australia

Group 2...New Zealand, England

Group 3...Papua New Guinea, France, Ireland, Samoa, Tonga, Lebanon, Israel, and whoever else can muster a squad of 17 players.

Winner of Group 1 to play Winner of Group 2 in best of 7 Finals series.

Last edited:

Ponting_14

International Cricketer
My system is very simple...

Group 1...Australia

Group 2...New Zealand, England

Group 3...Papua New Guinea, France, Ireland, Samoa, Tonga, Lebanon, Israel, and whoever else can muster a squad of 17 players.

Winner of Group 1 to play Winner of Group 2 in best of 7 Finals series.

lol.gif
We?ve got a comedian in da house.

joshuaa21

School Cricketer
If Aussies win tonight against Fiji ( good luck Fiji) THEY PLAY NEW ZEALAND IN THE FINAL :happy:happy:happy:happy

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I think its pretty obvious who's going to be meeting the Kiwis in the final. I also think its pretty obvious who will be lifting the trophy at the end of it all as well.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Waste of time this tournament. I am sure there where more Aussies going for Fiji last night than going for Australia.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'll enjoy the domination while it last. We have seen with Aussie cricket that all domination comes to an end at some stage.

Anyway can't complain with the format apart from PNG being given little hope even though RL is their national sport. They should have got a life and played Fiji for the right to play Aus in the semi.

Still all we can do is continue to play games at the International level to start building the standard. But sadly with SOO ruling out so many talented players from other countries it will take the death of SOO for the International game to really start building.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
I'll enjoy the domination while it last. We have seen with Aussie cricket that all domination comes to an end at some stage.

Anyway can't complain with the format apart from PNG being given little hope even though RL is their national sport. They should have got a life and played Fiji for the right to play Aus in the semi.

Still all we can do is continue to play games at the International level to start building the standard. But sadly with SOO ruling out so many talented players from other countries it will take the death of SOO for the International game to really start building.

Didn't stop Hayne lining up for Fiji this tournament, to be fair.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Seems ridiculous to me that a team as seeming inept as England, could still reach the semi-finals, thanks to the format.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Seems ridiculous to me that a team as seeming inept as England, could still reach the semi-finals, thanks to the format.

We're only inept compared to NZ & Oz, to be fair. We'd have beaten any of Ireland, Samoa, Fiji or whoever fairly comfortably.

The format was set up as it was because in the last tournament there were several thrashings where Australia, England or NZ put 50+ points on the likes of Russia or Fiji. The 2008 tournament acknowledged the fact that international league isn't a clash of equals.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors

But beating someone 52-0 in a semi final would never happen in the soccer or cricket World Cups (equivalent scoring).

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
But beating someone 52-0 in a semi final would never happen in the soccer or cricket World Cups (equivalent scoring).

Dunno. Australia tore India a new one in the 2003 final. 2007 wasn't that close either.

Your point's far enough tho. Fiji only got as far as they did because they managed to get Aussies with Fijian folks or grandparents like Hayne, Sims & Naiqama turning out for them.

spackle

School Cricketer
There are only 3 teams that are competitive enough to have had a shot at the cup anyway, new zealand australia, and england, the best two are in the fianl, it wouldn't really have mattered how the format was, it was always going to be amongst those three teams.

Users who are viewing this thread