Rugby Union World Cup 2007

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
That does actually make a lot of sense. You only have to see that amazing solo effort by Robbo (stolen from League may I add!) late in the France game to see how exciting it is to see a Union player running at the oppo. Such a shame that southerners don't play much League.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
No, England and NZ

In terms of talent, no, but the most tenacious and determind? Yes. Just no way we were one of the two best teams in the world before this tournament, we probably weren't even one of the best five. We have got this far because we've not been afraid to get in the faces of the opposition and really take them on upfront. It's been completely different to the first game against South Africa in the pool game.

(stolen from League may I add!)

Stolen my arse! He got fed up with a crap sport. ;)

That does actually make a lot of sense. You only have to see that amazing solo effort by Robbo (stolen from League may I add!) late in the France game to see how exciting it is to see a Union player running at the oppo. Such a shame that southerners don't play much League.

Yes, it's great to see a player such as Robinson in full flow, however, the likes of Australia and New Zealand play a far more open game than the likes of England, but where are they now? Back in their homes whinging about how we're playing negative rugby and how it's damaging the game (the latter being more the fans).

Last edited:

Notts til i die

Club Cricketer
Watching final in a pub in Segefield with all my reanacting mates should be a good final. If England win it will be a much better acheivement than 4 years ago because people expected us to do cr*p this year and we write them off and all that rubbisH! but the lads have pulled through and have been strong and determined to win so that's what i think will win us the Final and be the only team to win back-back championsips.

lancashire666

International Coach
im may have a heart attack on saturday, so if im not on here on sunday then everyone knows why lol
surely england cant pull out 3 huge wins in a row

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
Surely they can't, but then they can, that's the thing about this cup, the surprise world cup - and it has to go down as the best world cup in history (despite Wales being knocked out in the pool :p)

My head says South Africa my heart says let it be close.

What a performance by the pumas yesterday to trash France - hopefully they'll move back above the french in the rankings again now.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Argentina really are on the up, they have shown that France were never in this WC. A very lucky win against the ABs being their highlight.

Congrats to SA clearly the best team in this WC. Scrum really held up well apart from the first one where I was thinking wow maybe our scrum wasn't that bad! Not much attacking flair by either side not surprising given both teams are forward based.

lancashire666

International Coach
south africa win the world cup.

not a great game of rugby, only one try scored in it, by england, only problem was the aussie video ref said it was in touch when it clearly wasnt.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Congratulations to South Africa. Fair result, can't really argue! I wouldn't have wanted to be the video referee in that situation. For me, it was more touch and go on whether Cueto's foot was out than his knee, it was awfully close to the line when it started to lift.

EDIT: Just seen it again, his foot was definitely touching the line in my opinion.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Up the Bokke! What a performance by the boys to keep going throughout the whole tournament. Pity that the dirty side was shown by an England player, but what can I say. Hopefully Habana will get player of the tournament, he's been excellent and has improved immensely since making the step up to the international arena.

A bit scruffy but tight final, I can imagine a country full of headaches tomorrow!

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Well England atleast try there best but South Africa were just too good I guess.
Congratulations to South Africa

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Well, it was a close game as I predicted. I'm just thankful we didn't get another three points, otherwise that unbelievably disallowed try would've cost us the Cup! The guy's foot was clearly in the air when it was over the line. I don't agree one bit that SA were better than us in that game, that simply wasn't the case!

To stop that lot from scoring any tries for a whole match was a special achievement in itself. Well played England, you did yourselves proud, but if the guy on the replays can't do his job properly, what can you do? The gap would've been only two points and we would've been all over SA. I'm sure Jonny would've got at least one opportunity to put another golden kick over!

Well done, SA though, they are worthy champions.

Edit: Did you guys see that poor little kid in the France shirt crying when he came out for the lifting of the Cup? Poor little guy, he was obviously completely overawed by the whole experience.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I kept going over the disallowed try again and again in my mind and I just failed to see what was wrong with it. No part of Cueto's body was in touch when he put the ball down. I would be furious if I was an England player.

Some unforced errors gave away the crucial penalties so we weren't completely blameless. Lewis Moody didn't need to trip the man, and we didn't need to knock on in good positions. All in all, we relied too much on Jonny Wilkinson and the pressure told.

Everyone should be immensely proud of the team though. I can't remember the last time an England team played with such passion, belief and patriotism in any sport. Probably the Ashes in 2005.

What a great player Jason Robinson was. He's finished now, and we will struggle to replace him.

After the 36-0 last month, to stop the same side scoring a try and only being denied victory by a bad decision, you just have to feel proud.

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
I kept going over the disallowed try again and again in my mind and I just failed to see what was wrong with it. No part of Cueto's body was in touch when he put the ball down. I would be furious if I was an England player.

That's because his foot dabbed the line before his leg went into the air, before he put the ball down - therefore, in touch... it doesn't matter about putting the ball down, his foot clearly dabbed the line just before he crossed the line.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
south africa win the world cup.

not a great game of rugby, only one try scored in it, by england, only problem was the aussie video ref said it was in touch when it clearly wasnt.

Aussie vid ref? That explains it!!

Can anyone clear this up for me? I've tried googling it, but got nowhere: Why is it called a 'try' when someone grounds the ball behind the opponent's line?
What's the history behind it?

Last edited:

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Peh. It's only a World Cup final. Call me back when we lose something important...

As pointed out but the commentators, our inability to get in behind them and score a try was our undoing today. Their line-outs were impeccable and we kept giving away needless penalties.

Users who are viewing this thread