Rugby Union World Cup 2007

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well I thought I'd start a thread for the Rugby World Cup. With 20 nations competing, anything can happen (apart from New Zealand failing to win it) so let's start our discussion on this prestigious tournament.

And hooray to hosts France.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I'm seeing England-Tonga because I don't like school. I cant believe how confident the aussies are! After 1 win v New Zealand they think there the best :p I reckon France are the only side capable of stopping the Kiwis and the Saffas could go far. England still have some quality players, and although its fair to say theres hardly a chance they'll win whilst they've got Wilkinson theres always a chance he'll go back to the old version! I reckon Ireland could make it to the semi's too

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Kiwis are rightly the warmest of warm favourites, but they've shown hints of vulnerability this year. I'm not convinced with their centre pairing & St Daniel had a fairly ordinary trot of form at the start of the Tri Nations.

Think the Frence have a chance if their front three can get a foothold against the kiwis, but they came second against us at Twickers where we conspired to butcher several tries.

England's chances largely rest on our group game v the yarps. If we lose that we'd have to (probably) face Oz & NZ in consecutive games to make the final, which would be something of a stretch for our 2007 vintage. If we win though (Catt must start at 12 for this to happen, Farrell seems a liability in the senior code) a final spot might not be beyond us if we get a bit of rain in our (probable) semi v the French.

That's almost certainly pie in the sky though, really. Saffies will start as favourites against us & maybe even Samoa will fancy their chances of an upset. They were the better team for 60 minutes in the last WC before they ran out of steam.

If you're looking for a shock, I think Italy could beat the Sweaties & Argentina definitely have a chance against an Ireland team who seriously lack quality in depth.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The ABs didn't look as dominant this year compared to last year but they are still rightly favourites for this tournament. The Wallabies look alright although the backline hasn't been great this seaso, hopefully with Latham back that changes. We definitely won't win it with our forward pack.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
The ABs didn't look as dominant this year compared to last year but they are still rightly favourites for this tournament. The Wallabies look alright although the backline hasn't been great this seaso, hopefully with Latham back that changes. We definitely won't win it with our forward pack.

I think with your backs you have a chance if you get enough ball. I'm not the biggest Sherpherdson or Dunning fan and they got made to look silly v Woodcock & Hayman in the final game of the Tri-Nations, but they showed in the game you won at the MCG if they're cute enough they can get some manner of parity.

Latham's return is a huge plus too; best 15 in the world for me.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The big key is getting Giteau more involved, he goes missing quite a bit at 12. If he injects himself more in the game he could make a few line breaks that would really get us moving forward.

Forward pack did look alright until that final game, I still wouldn't mind seeing Rodzilla back. I remember seeing the Reds scrum last season and it was decent plus hes a good ball runner.

sd92

International Coach
England to win like last time.
Ha, as if.

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Kiwis are rightly the warmest of warm favourites, but they've shown hints of vulnerability this year. I'm not convinced with their centre pairing & St Daniel had a fairly ordinary trot of form at the start of the Tri Nations.

Think the Frence have a chance if their front three can get a foothold against the kiwis, but they came second against us at Twickers where we conspired to butcher several tries.

England's chances largely rest on our group game v the yarps. If we lose that we'd have to (probably) face Oz & NZ in consecutive games to make the final, which would be something of a stretch for our 2007 vintage. If we win though (Catt must start at 12 for this to happen, Farrell seems a liability in the senior code) a final spot might not be beyond us if we get a bit of rain in our (probable) semi v the French.

That's almost certainly pie in the sky though, really. Saffies will start as favourites against us & maybe even Samoa will fancy their chances of an upset. They were the better team for 60 minutes in the last WC before they ran out of steam.

If you're looking for a shock, I think Italy could beat the Sweaties & Argentina definitely have a chance against an Ireland team who seriously lack quality in depth.

Having seen Samoa live at their warm-up game against Guinness Premiership club Sale Sharks (their 2nd string as well due to international call-ups) I don't think England should have much of a job to beat them. They only looked dangerous through Alessano Tuilagi, but couldn't keep hold of the ball. 26-7 the score I believe that night to the Samoans, hardly impressive over a second team of a domestic side.

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
The semi-finalists should be: Australia, New Zealand, France and South Africa, but, a handful of others (England, Wales, Ireland, Argentina) can fancy a chance of getting there.

wolf

International Cricketer
Has anyone noticed that Australia's best chance of getting to the final is losing to Wales and coming second in the group? If they win their group they are on a collision course with New Zealand in the semis.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Has anyone noticed that Australia's best chance of getting to the final is losing to Wales and coming second in the group? If they win their group they are on a collision course with New Zealand in the semis.

Playing the All Blacks in the semis didn't work out so bad for them last time. :D

The thing is if they lose to Wales (which is possible) they'll probably end up facing the Boks in the quarters, which you'd think they'd prefer to avoid.

Meanwhile, I see Jonny Wilkinson has been ruled out of England's game v the US this Saturday. I just hope he's fit for our game versus the yarps the week after.

Users who are viewing this thread