Rugby Union World Cup 2007

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The Argies hammering France :D I have to go to Paris when i go and as i've discussed with my mum i'm not talking to a single cheese eating surrender monkey. I've got a big anti-France thing going at the minute :)

CricketFan999

Club Cricketer
Chabal is such a legend, a giant monster but a legend all the same. One of my favourite players :p

Glad to see the Argies win though, maybe Ireland can even push France out ;)

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
Hmm, interesting

FRANCE 12 - 17 ARGENTINA (HT: 9-17)

Think what this does for the rest of the tournament!!!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Argentina have always had the talent just haven't performed on the day. Good to see them do it here, thought France with home ground advantage would get home. Some would say this result makes the ABs even clearer favourites given the French are meant to be the only team that can match the ABs.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Well done Argentina!! Oh smiles are running wild across the South American coast now while Paris is left dejected.

Did Argentina on the day beat France? Well in many cases you could say so, well if anything France are to be hold responsible for the loss. Corleto’s try clearly came from broken play, Argentina never got more than five phases going while France did but couldn’t take advantage of concluding.

Selection also played a critical role, Argentina’s whole team perhaps plays in France, and surely the French unit would have taken notice of this. Hernandez read the game like a beauty his pin point high up and unders utterly anguished the French back trio.

When I read the team on paper (Thursday) I noticed that they’ve opted for Heymans in fullback, if this was France playing Namibia, I would have agreed with this but the more rational resolution would have been Heymans on leftwing and Potrenaud taking up at fullback. Same can be said about the halfback grouping of Mignoni and Skrela, yet again the more logical decision would have been Ellisalde and Michalak.

On the day Argentina beat France but let me take you to about two-three weeks ago when Argentina lost to a gloomy Welsh outfit and then France crushed Wales a week later. It means for me that France has always struggled against the Pumas, France should beat Ireland and Ireland should beat Argentina, remember this was Argentina’s first real major win in a world cup so I believe they are going to ride on that and if anything you can’t do that against the Irish, The Irish back trio is more settled, Stringer and O’Gara is settled and there forwards are a lot stronger than the French.

But in all honesty Tony what a shocker you had with the whistle!

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
Well done Argentina great performance, good game actually, France didn't turn up really, I'll cheering on Wales against the Canadians on Sunday :cool:

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Well done Argentina!! Oh smiles are running wild across the South American coast now while Paris is left dejected.

Did Argentina on the day beat France? Well in many cases you could say so, well if anything France are to be hold responsible for the loss. Corleto?s try clearly came from broken play, Argentina never got more than five phases going while France did but couldn?t take advantage of concluding.

Selection also played a critical role, Argentina?s whole team perhaps plays in France, and surely the French unit would have taken notice of this. Hernandez read the game like a beauty his pin point high up and unders utterly anguished the French back trio.

When I read the team on paper (Thursday) I noticed that they?ve opted for Heymans in fullback, if this was France playing Namibia, I would have agreed with this but the more rational resolution would have been Heymans on leftwing and Potrenaud taking up at fullback. Same can be said about the halfback grouping of Mignoni and Skrela, yet again the more logical decision would have been Ellisalde and Michalak.

On the day Argentina beat France but let me take you to about two-three weeks ago when Argentina lost to a gloomy Welsh outfit and then France crushed Wales a week later. It means for me that France has always struggled against the Pumas, France should beat Ireland and Ireland should beat Argentina, remember this was Argentina?s first real major win in a world cup so I believe they are going to ride on that and if anything you can?t do that against the Irish, The Irish back trio is more settled, Stringer and O?Gara is settled and there forwards are a lot stronger than the French.

But in all honesty Tony what a shocker you had with the whistle!

Spreaders is almost invariably merde, as they say over the channel. Blows up & then makes a decision.

Great result for Rugby and exactly what the tournament needed. There'll be a lot of mismatches in the group stage (3 tomorrow for starters), but a genuine upset is just what the doctor ordered. Throws the draw wide open & means NZ could have to face the French in the quarters.

As a pommy football fan I'm no great fan of Argentinian sporting teams as a rule, but was cheering for Los Pumas all the way. Came with a game plan and executed it almost to perfection.

It's not their first big win tho; they beat Ireland in the quarter-final play-off in 1999.

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Right you are Argentina beat Ireland 28 - 24 and then went on losing to France in the. But if you had listened to the post match interview held with Pichot he said that the victory was the biggest one for Argentina in a professional era and I agree in 99 Argentina had to deal with amateurs and so in 03 also where they only had five days to get ready for the tournament, this year they had 6 weeks

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
I just wonder is Andy Robinson on some form of medication telling us that England are bound to get semifinals...after such a dismal performance against a minnow like USA I'ts hard for me to believe that they will even make quarter finals they way they played

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Samoa could well cause an upset if they play like they did in 03. England looked disorganized in attack and if not for their great defence America could have caused the biggest upset in Rugby history. England really lacked direction from Barkley, hes a good runner but he didn't do enough kicking.

America looked really good when they had possession, just need a bit more work on attack and they could go places. They were ruthless at the breakdown winning that area of the game easily.

kookaburra69

International Coach
Geez did anyone see that Dumptruck that landed the England first-five on his neck,NASTY!

Shevchenko

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
England's performance was just bad, even under Ashton's coaching England is not finding the form which made them world champions in 03. 03 seems a long time ago but most of old boys like Robinson, Lewsey are still living in that time.
The English team needed a new look along time ago, instead they tried to keep players who are way past their prime, they had four years to rebuilt a side, South Africa managed to do it...England had no excuses!

Samoa could upset the poms and I'm bloody sure they will...what is this Ashton and his welsh buddy going on about that they are most likely to play in quarters? c'mon for that too happen is either Wales or England win their group and the other one gets into second place, as if England is going to beat the boks or Wales beating Australia

They said for the Springboks, Englands game is going to be most crucial, at this part I think Samoa's game is more crucial, they could play their second stringers against England, after all SA's second stringers did only lose by a few poinst earlier this year to a full strength Wallabies team

Last edited:

Notts til i die

Club Cricketer
Congrats Argentina shame if England play you, you will get a good ass kicking wey we beat USA. Easy a good day to be a England fan Cricket=Won,Football=WinRugby=Win. LUCKY US

Users who are viewing this thread