Sachin Tendulkar Claims Top Spot in ICC Rankings Once Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
After a wait of 8 years, Sachin has managed to claim the top spot in ICC test rankings. He's got 891 points , 17 clear of Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara in the second spot. With three match series coming up against Kewies, he has a really good chance to become only the 26th player to cross 900 Batting points and in doing that he would best his previous 898 Points max.

One more thing checked in his to-do-before-retirement list :p
I guess next up is topping the ODI ratings and a WC win.

lol.. i guess i really need a nap...

The World Cup win is due for him and all the Indians out there. Hope he achieves that dream. Hope India win the WC and honour this great man and his career by making sure he is part of a WC winning team.

Was this really needed?

Well I don't like reading the Sachin = Bradman stuff either, but I do find it interesting that Sachin hasn't dominated the ICC rankings as much as he'd dominating the opinions of fans. Ponting and Lara both reached slightly higher peaks in the ratings than Sachin has. Question is why? I don't know too much about the ins and outs, but I it seems to rewards guys who really dominate series after series eg. Yousuf 2006, Hayden 2002, Ponting 2006, I don't think Sachin's really had that. He's good all the time :p

It's the same in the bowler rankings. You won't find Wasim Akram up there with the best ratings ever either. He tended to bowl great spells, rather than string together great series.

I've never been into cricket at a time when tendulkar was no.1

and as I sort of learned about the game it was sometimes a bit puzzling why this guy, who was percieved as a demi-god, was hovering about in the lower half of the top 10 in terms of ranking. the weird thing about tendulkar is I find he's the least known of the cricketing legends here. (like in scotland where people know almost nothing about cricket, except that happens in other places) Lara, shane warne, ian botham and flintoff are the most known, KP is maybe next.

I think I must have just become aware of the rankings in 2005 when his form was slipping cause I had a look and he seemed to be never out of the top 2 spots for most of the 90s and early 2000s

Last edited:
Same here, he might as well be an engineer in Calcutta, no one knows of him. The very few, and I mean VERY FEW people I come across who can name a cricketer usually name Bradman. Simply because he is compared quite often to Babe Ruth, the two actually even met once.

Babe.jpg

Same here, he might as well be an engineer in Calcutta, no one knows of him. The very few, and I mean VERY FEW people I come across who can name a cricketer usually name Bradman. Simply because he is compared quite often to Babe Ruth, the two actually even met once.

I've never been into cricket at a time when tendulkar was no.1

and as I sort of learned about the game it was sometimes a bit puzzling why this guy, who was percieved as a demi-god, was hovering about in the lower half of the top 10 in terms of ranking. the weird thing about tendulkar is I find he's the least known of the cricketing legends here. (like in scotland where people know almost nothing about cricket, except that happens in other places) Lara, shane warne, ian botham and flintoff are the most known, KP is maybe next.

Yeah exactly. Some ignorant people on here think Tendulkar is a household name around the world, and when I said otherwise let's just say they didn't take it nicely.

You said he wasn't a household name in Australia iirc.

In all fairness most people first thing of the insect when you talk about Cricket here in America.

but Australia is a cricket playing nation. Point was that he is unheard of in any other country. I'd say there is a much higher chance of a regular kid in India knowing who Kobe is than some kid in America knowing who Tendulkar is. That was the point, Australia is a bit different since its one of the top cricket nations.

Name any cricketer who is/was a household name around the world. Only Bradman came close to being a "household name". Cricket actually has a fairly low fan following compared to other sports if you remove Indian fans from the equation, so saying Tendulkar isn't a known name world-wide is a moot point. No cricketer in history has been a household name around the world ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread