Talented Cricketers who couldn't quite succeed in the last decade.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
England players I can think of:

Monty Panesar
James Taylor
Jonny Bairstow
Nick Compton
Steve Harmison
Simon Jones
Simon Kerrigan
Eoin Morgan
Ravi Bopara
Saj Mahmood

I wouldn't include all those names tbh, Harmison had an extended career and made a name for himself, Saj was quick but far too expensive and MOnty was just too inconsistent and playing at a time when Swann was the man.

Taylor and Bairstow are still young enough to make an impact, bit premature imo.

Morgan is no ODI captain.

I will agree that Bopara was almost wasted but he has made a good come back and terrible selection policies destroyed Owais Shahs career, at his peak a terrific ODI batsman and Adil Rashid isn't even thought of as an afterthought any more.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Mohammad Kaif. That guy seemed a lot better in the following 4-5 years since his International debut, but later couldn't keep his impact on the selectors. He was exceptional fielder though. He and Yuvi, was my favorite pair of sometime.:)

PokerAce

Banned
Eh, I try stay away from anything related to the BCCI...

Little bit racist but I understand...

Why should South Africans have special problems with BCCI. BCCI was the first to play a series with you end your apartheid boycott. They invited SA to India for a tri series and later became the first side in 22 years to tour SA, for a test series to firmly bring SA back into the main cricketing fold.

Why should you hate BCCI for that is beyond me. Ah well, there are all kinds of ppl in the world I suppose.

PokerAce

Banned
Australia
Batsman - Katich
Bowler - Siddle

England
Batsman - I don;t think England have really had a very talented batsman who didn;t quite make it. Those who were talented, like Trott, Bell, KP, grabbed their chances.
Bowlers - Simon Jones

India
Batsman - Md. Kaif, Yuvi (never quite made it to the test level). Also Vinod Kambli (not exactly in the decade) - I think in the entire history of the game there has never been a more collosal waste of talent than Kambli.
Bowler - Irfan Pathan

NZ
Batsman - Ryder
Bowler - Bond

Pakistan
Batsman - Imran Nazir
Bowler - Can't think of one except the bloke nailed for fixing, and I guess we are not counting them.

SL
Batsman - Dilshan (Yes he had a phase, but didn;t do it for long enough)
Bowler - Ajantha Mendis (At one point the top mystrey spinner in the world, slowly lost his effectiveness)

SA
Batsman - Rudolph
Bowler - Kemp

WI
Batsman - M Samuels (All said and done an avg of 35 is too low)
Bowler - Roach.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Why should South Africans have special problems with BCCI. BCCI was the first to play a series with you end your apartheid boycott. They invited SA to India for a tri series and later became the first side in 22 years to tour SA, for a test series to firmly bring SA back into the main cricketing fold.

Why should you hate BCCI for that is beyond me. Ah well, there are all kinds of ppl in the world I suppose.

Because the BCCI try to control cricket. Haroon Lorgat is an example of the BCCI, he wasnt allowing the BCCI to control cricket so they tried to get him fired, once he was appointed CEO of SA cricket the BCCI threatened to cancel their tour. Im not saying that BCCI are no good rotten people, just that they must learn where their place is and stay there...

stefan

International Coach
Cook ? No ways.

England have a lot of other non-performers who could have come onto the big stage as they were domestic giants. Luke Wright, James Foster for e.g Although Trescothik suffered from stress- related illnesses, he does qualify as a person who could'nt quite succeed on the main stage.

Other players include:
Narsingh Deonarine
Joginder Sharma
Amit Mishra
35 year old chinaman from Pakistan- dunno his name(was supp to play in the WT20 2014)

You can't call a test average of 43 not succeeding. Marcus didn't last in the test arena as long as he should have but when he did play he certainly succeeded.

Because of the way the India tour to SA was cut short in order for the BCCI to arrange a money spinning home farewell for Sachin. Robbing us of our centrepiece New years Newlands test.

Also most South African cricket fans do not like the bully tactics BCCI use to bend international cricket to their will. We don't like our boards inability to stand up to them either.

PokerAce

Banned
Because the BCCI try to control cricket. Haroon Lorgat is an example of the BCCI, he wasnt allowing the BCCI to control cricket so they tried to get him fired, once he was appointed CEO of SA cricket the BCCI threatened to cancel their tour. Im not saying that BCCI are no good rotten people, just that they must learn where their place is and stay there...
Because of the way the India tour to SA was cut short in order for the BCCI to arrange a money spinning home farewell for Sachin. Robbing us of our centrepiece New years Newlands test.

Also most South African cricket fans do not like the bully tactics BCCI use to bend international cricket to their will. We don't like our boards inability to stand up to them either.

Guys I get it, that BCCI is not the most liked board in the world. However try and put yourself in BCCI's shoes, would you not want to have a lot of control, especially when you have all the finances. I don't agree on BCCI on many things, however in the long run, you will, I think, find that SA and India have shared lots of cricketing goodwill over the years, for all that goodwill to be thrown away over one series or the general evil intentions of BCCI.

Yes one series probably didnt go to plan, but there will be plenty more, and there is really no point in throwing away the history of goodwill over one series.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Imran Tahir, performed well in everything except for Tests and with an average of 26 in FC cricket and 21 in ODI I would of thought he would have performed better...

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The list of Pakistani players who couldn't succeed in the last decade is huge, probably the worst era of our cricket administration wise.
Players like Imran Nazir, Saqlain Mushtaq, Arshad Mehmood, Shabbir Ahmed,Yasir Hameed, Hassan Raza, Mohammad Sami, Asim Kamal are the few to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread